Already tested it! :lol:
Itching for some fishing.

#22 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:58 PM

Have 2 bluegills and a creek chub in my tank as of now, i tried to feed them pieces of nightcrawler but the sunfish attack it eat it and spit it out the pieces are about 1cm long, anyone know why they do thius?

#23 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:20 PM

Alright as of now i have one sunfish, the other 2 werent adjusting well so o put them back. I have been feeding this guy water bugs and cockroaches i find going out front of my house at night and he loves them. Sometimes i cant find them thou so i was wondering what i could feed him from the typical refridgerator. Thanks for any imput

#24 The Don

The Don

FISH HARD

• Charter Member
  • 2,560 posts
  • LocationPhila,pa

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:07 PM

Alright as of now i have one sunfish, the other 2 werent adjusting well so o put them back. I have been feeding this guy water bugs and cockroaches i find going out front of my house at night and he loves them. Sometimes i cant find them thou so i was wondering what i could feed him from the typical refridgerator. Thanks for any imput

I feed mine bugs also..I love seeing them getting nail as soon as they hit the water.I feed mine feeder fish from the pet shop,They eat 40 every 2 weeks.
Throw your lure in the water and put the puzzle together..

#25 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:30 PM

yeah this guy engulfs them in one bite, only to see a puff of cloudy water come out of his mouth with a leg or 2 :blink: but i will get some feeder fish and see how he likes them!

#26 The Don

The Don

FISH HARD

• Charter Member
  • 2,560 posts
  • LocationPhila,pa

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:00 PM

yeah this guy engulfs them in one bite, only to see a puff of cloudy water come out of his mouth with a leg or 2 :blink: but i will get some feeder fish and see how he likes them!

The little gold fish will dirty your tank up,Get some little rosie reds,They live longer if they survive the first attack B)

#27 Aki

Aki

Fish 300+ days a year!

• Charter Member
  • 1,847 posts
  • LocationTokyo Bay

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:29 PM

Krill.
It's available at any pet store, cheap, and panfish and bass loves them.
Always thinking of fishing around Philly....

#28 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:22 PM

Starting up a new aquarium and have been cycling the tank for three weeks. For the past two weeks I've had ten local minnows inhabiting the tank during the cycling process. The minnows have thrived even during high ammonia levels and then high nitrite levels. They are very hardy little fish. I want to make sure I'm identifying these minnows correctly. The first two photos I'm assuming are killifish. The second two photos I believe are fathed minnows. Help with identification would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• aqua01.jpg
  • aqua02.jpg
  • aqua03.jpg
  • aqua04.jpg

#29 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:49 PM

they will make great food for my sunny :D

#30 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:43 PM

they will make great food for my sunny :D

Those sunfish are worse than piranhas. My peaceful minnows will not be introduced to your aggressive sunfish. ;)

#31 PhillyPhisher

PhillyPhisher

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 17 posts
  • LocationRoxborough

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:06 AM

I have been wanting to try to keep some local fish. Right now I have a huge Oscar but I think some local species would be sweet. He of course will not lose his home.

Can anyone supply the link to the thread about how to set up this type of tank? I can't seem to find it using the search function.

So do you guys get attached to these fish or is it understandable that bait is bait?

#32 Nick with a K

Nick with a K

Sir

• Charter Member
  • 733 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:45 AM

Might be in here:
http://www.cookplex....e-fish-keeping/

bART (aka mudbug studios) knows a good deal about fish tank stuff, but I haven't seen him post anything in here in a while.

#33 The Don

The Don

FISH HARD

• Charter Member
  • 2,560 posts
  • LocationPhila,pa

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:36 PM

My daughters collection :lol:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#34 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:53 AM

Those sunfish are worse than piranhas. My peaceful minnows will not be introduced to your aggressive sunfish. ;)

No kidding. The more common, bigger sunfish are the most Territorial fish going.

Hey George, I have a lot of quickly multiplying low light aquarium plants I would be happy to share if you are interested. They make tank maintenance less frequent, and add another level of reward to the experience. They will grow in plain gravel, but you would need an aftermarket light that provided around 1.5-2 watts per gallon of fluorescent bulb light. Keep in mind though, that it can lead to ridiculous commitments of maintenance and expense if you like it so much that you move on to high light plants. I did that shit for a while, and my plants were so beautiful... but if I slipped on my bi-weekly water changes, or my co2 tank ran dry for a few days, it was algae city. Weird algae species I never saw before too. I'll never do all that again unless I have a robot to run it.

#35 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:54 PM

my only sunfish left attacked all of my other fish to death! he runs the tank as of now, wait till i put a bass in there to shut him up ;)

#36 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:49 PM

No kidding. The more common, bigger sunfish are the most Territorial fish going.

Hey George, I have a lot of quickly multiplying low light aquarium plants I would be happy to share if you are interested. They make tank maintenance less frequent, and add another level of reward to the experience. They will grow in plain gravel, but you would need an aftermarket light that provided around 1.5-2 watts per gallon of fluorescent bulb light. Keep in mind though, that it can lead to ridiculous commitments of maintenance and expense if you like it so much that you move on to high light plants. I did that shit for a while, and my plants were so beautiful... but if I slipped on my bi-weekly water changes, or my co2 tank ran dry for a few days, it was algae city. Weird algae species I never saw before too. I'll never do all that again unless I have a robot to run it.
"""{{{{{{=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Hi Lou... Thanks for the offer... What type of plants are they?

Currently, I have three Java Ferns, three Anubias, three Wisteria, two Argentinian and an Amazon Sword plant. All of my plants have been classified as either low light or moderate light and easy to grow. My substrate is river/pond stone. I feed the plants Seachem Flouish fertilizers. I have the basic aquarium fluorescent lighting. The room that I have the aquarium in has four skylights and four large windows. The room is flooded with light, but very little direct sunlight ever strikes the aquarium. The tank has been operating for two months and I have not experienced any algae blooms. Fish and plants are doing well. I try to keep things simple as I'm not into anything high maintenance. I'd appreciate any advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users