123 replies to this topic

#21 chris

chris

PAC Regular

• Charter Member - Expired
  • PipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:57 AM

Anyone know of anything biting in sea isle around july besides flounder? i am trying to change it up a bit.

fluke in the surf and backbays, tog and triggers from jetties/structure, sharks at night, stripers in the backbay at night, dusk and dawn, brown sharks off the beach in the evening, kingfish in the surf. surf fluke fishing is a ton of fun, should give it a try, july is a good month to do that.
they down there

#22 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:05 AM

holy shit i didnt know there was that much ha, now for the stripers at night, i would love to give that a try, are they in there thick or is one fish a night the norm?
Itching for some fishing.

#23 chris

chris

PAC Regular

• PipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:46 PM

holy shit i didnt know there was that much ha, now for the stripers at night, i would love to give that a try, are they in there thick or is one fish a night the norm?

depends on the night, gotta put some effort into it and youll figure out the spots and tides, once you do that you can catch 20 fish a night, or more... but usually its like 3-6 fish a night, usually shorts, but you can get keepers mixed in. lotta fun on topwater... I never fished behind sea isle, but theres surely some good spots back there, generally like the wildwoods or ocean city area. Bridge lights at night can be good in july too, can caatch some nice fluke and weakies along with the bass... and of coarse blues and shad. you could also catch 100 5"-8" seabass during the day if youre just lookin for action.
they down there

#24 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:55 PM

sweet ill give it a try, i have a house right by the bridge into sea isle, i got the flounder down but tryna chase them stripes. fishing the bottom with bait productive?

#25 chris

chris

PAC Regular

• PipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:04 PM

sweet ill give it a try, i have a house right by the bridge into sea isle, i got the flounder down but tryna chase them stripes. fishing the bottom with bait productive?

sure, but its lots more fun, maybe even more productive to use small plugs and jigs. Walk some sods and fish current breaks, stripers ambush bait as it moves with the tide, easiest way for them to do that is lay in a current break and wait for the bait to swim by overhead. little bombers, smack its, or zooms are all you need, replace the hooks though or youll lose your big fish. creek mouths and points are the best place to catch, give the bridges a try to as you never know whats lurking along the shadowlines in some deeper water.
they down there

#26 dano

dano

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:23 PM

and dont be afraid to hang around for first light. always a topwater bite in the morning,for an hour or two after first light, all summer long. get on a school of fish, and you can have a great outing. catch a few of those back bay school bass in the shallows, and know one can ever tell you again that striped bass dont jump when they fight. those fish go ape shit. :)
Join CCA!
http://joincca.org/
http://ccamd.org/

#27 reese3

reese3

PAC Regular

• Registered Guest
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:09 PM

Blues should still be around. Maybe some kingfish in the surf. Tog on the rocks, maybesome porgies. If you have some heavy gear you can try for sand tigers at night.

There are still tons of blues around exploding on bunker
names reese..

#28 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:50 PM

Sweet guys thanks, anyone gona be down the shore july 10-17? would love for someone to show me some tricks, i have fluke down just fine but anything else im clueless on

#29 Aki

Aki

Fish 300+ days a year!

• Charter Member
  • 1,847 posts
  • LocationTokyo Bay

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:51 PM

All the advice above is a great one.
I'll add one more tips.

When you fish at night, listen for fish popping sound. It can be the easiest way to find active school of stripers.
Always thinking of fishing around Philly....

#30 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:58 PM

So basically i should fish topwater at night when im there, definitely giving it a go, any lure suggestions?

#31 Romo

Romo

Invasive Species Enthusiast

• PipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:49 PM

smack it jrs, skitterwalks, poppa dogs, jumping minnows
Kill your limit, don't limit your kill.

#32 Aki

Aki

Fish 300+ days a year!

• Charter Member
  • 1,847 posts
  • LocationTokyo Bay

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:04 AM

So basically i should fish topwater at night when im there, definitely giving it a go, any lure suggestions?

I would say no.
Topwater plugs work at night, but not the easiest way to catch fish.

Stick to small black bomber Long A (15a).
Black is what most people uses, but doesn't have to be black IMHO. I like red head or white along with black or blurple. It's all works great. Slow and steady retreave is a key.

When you fish under lights, use 3/8oz jig head and pink zoom super fluke. Cast out, wait for few seconds(depends on current, depth, fish range, brightness of the light, etc) and steady retreve with a twitch or two once in a while. It's usually easier to keep the lure in strike zone longer if you cast up curret and swim your lure with current.

Don't stick to one place. Keep driving around til you find a good spot. I used to fish more than 10 spots a night. Only maybe 2 spot produce out of 10 spots. And never knows which one produces. Well, kinda knows, but still...

If you want to try topwater plugs at night, black or white smack it jr is a good one to start with.
Cast, pop it hard, wait for 10-15sec and another hard pop...
My favorite is pop it hard, and gently gives a nonstop twitches with minimum reeling, and another hard pop....

Dawn topwater bite is a different story. Ask Dano.
Always thinking of fishing around Philly....

#33 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:20 AM

haha yeah its just alot of explaining but pretty simple when you understand it but i got it. topwater is a whole different ballpark for me.

#34 matt

matt

knot conquistador

• Admin
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationUp the street from the knot!

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:54 AM

I too am hoping to finally give the salt a go this fall. My family just bought a house a few blocks from Corson's Inlet. I am definitely planning to go down a bunch in the fall since I'll have a place to stay. There might be the potential for free room and board for who ever puts me on fish and shows me a few spots ;)

#35 dano

dano

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:56 AM

at dawn (also dusk): the topwater bite is aggressive. my favorite lure is a heddon super spook with a steady walk the dog retrieve. the smack its are good too. fish them with a steady twitching retrieve. other staples for me are a few of the mirro lure topwaters (top dog, papa dog, etc.) and the rapala skitterwalk is good too.

at night: small bombers or red fins slow retrieved with a surface v-wake. black and purple are the staple colors. (aki will tell you to use white) outgoing tide at a creek mouth is a good place to start, think of these as baitfish conveyor belts, with the bass waiting at the bottom. eventually you can find other spots with their own unique reasons to hold fish at particular tide stages.

PM me when you will staying the week down there. if you are anywhere near wildwood/cape may, and if I will be fishing at all, maybe I can show you the ropes a little bit.
Join CCA!
http://joincca.org/
http://ccamd.org/

#36 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:42 PM

My house is a 10 minute drive fropm corsons inlet, thats where i fish for fluke, cant wait to take my kayak out this summer for the first time on the salt.

#37 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:42 PM

And yeah ill let you know, like i said ill be down july 10-17

#38 Lukin

Lukin

PAC Regular

• PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:30 PM

Lots of great tips here! I'll addsome
For topwater I like the Luckykraft "Sammy"
Lots of stripers off that lure. I like to walk the dog fairly aggressively, especially when the lure first hits the surface. In my experience that first couple feet of reeling in is where most of the strikes usually occur.

If the bluefish are in thick they will pretty much hit any lure you throw no matter how big. I keep a 50 pack of 2inch twistertails in my bag for that purpose. I like to save the good stuff cause they will ruin it and breakoffs are common.

For flounder I like the basic bucktail jig rigged with gulp or twistertail. If the tides are ripping I like to cast out and let the current do the work dragging it along the bottom. I sometimes won't even reel in till the current has pretty much washed the jig downstream and out of the strikezone.

Corson's is a great spot with lots of foot access. A few keepers there for me there last year too.

#39 PhillyFisherman

PhillyFisherman

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 369 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:03 PM

~Headed out on a friend's boat in the OC area. We managed around 30 shorts with 2 keepers (18.5" and 19.5"). Bucktail with a strip of meat and a teaser with GULP shrimp was the ticket. Tons of 17" fluke swimming around!~

B)
Romans 6:23

#40 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:13 AM

~Headed out on a friend's boat in the OC area. We managed around 30 shorts with 2 keepers (18.5" and 19.5"). Bucktail with a strip of meat and a teaser with GULP shrimp was the ticket. Tons of 17" fluke swimming around!~

B)

Good to hear you had a lot of action and landed two keepers. The high numbers of 17" fish should bode well for the future. Thanks for the report Greg... well done!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users