• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#41 PhillyFisherman

PhillyFisherman

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 369 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:50 PM

Good to hear you had a lot of action and landed two keepers. The high numbers of 17" fish should bode well for the future. Thanks for the report Greg... well done!

~Agreed, just like last year there remains a large number of 16"-17" fish that should bode well for the fishery.~

B)
Romans 6:23

#42 dano

dano

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:00 AM

~Agreed, just like last year there remains a large number of 16"-17" fish that should bode well for the fishery.~

B)

The problem is that most of those fish are males or immature females. The current regulations impact the female breeder population. That being said, I'd be worried that the currents regs (minimum size limits that keep getting bigger) will cause some problems in the future. When the offshore bite gets going strong, guys will be taking home limits of female breeders. It would be better if they took home limits of smaller males and a couple female breeders. One word really... SLOT. Allow a large fish or two, but make the rest go back. Problem is that the charter industry wont go for it, because they will claim they would lose money (key word) if they had to tell their clients to throw some big fish back in the water. The charter industry in NJ has alot of pull.

18" is right at that fine line that separates quality breeding stock. It may actually be better to raise the limit to say 21" or 22" to protect those fish in the 18" to 22" range that can breed effectively. But then people will bitch that they cant catch keepers.

Its really a simple concept... SLOT! Catch keepers, conserve the fishery. ;)
Join CCA!
http://joincca.org/
http://ccamd.org/

#43 Tom

Tom

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:14 PM

The problem is that most of those fish are males or immature females. The current regulations impact the female breeder population. That being said, I'd be worried that the currents regs (minimum size limits that keep getting bigger) will cause some problems in the future. When the offshore bite gets going strong, guys will be taking home limits of female breeders. It would be better if they took home limits of smaller males and a couple female breeders. One word really... SLOT. Allow a large fish or two, but make the rest go back. Problem is that the charter industry wont go for it, because they will claim they would lose money (key word) if they had to tell their clients to throw some big fish back in the water. The charter industry in NJ has alot of pull.

18" is right at that fine line that separates quality breeding stock. It may actually be better to raise the limit to say 21" or 22" to protect those fish in the 18" to 22" range that can breed effectively. But then people will bitch that they cant catch keepers.

Its really a simple concept... SLOT! Catch keepers, conserve the fishery. ;)

Makes sense to me. I like a couple of fish for the table but am fine with C&R fluking just because it is fun to fish for them. I am sure I am the majority here but it makes sense to have a slot limit on them. That would be much better than, say, a moratorium on them for instance.

#44 Doc Watson

Doc Watson

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:28 PM

Slot worked for SEB. Should work just the same for fluke. 15"-18" slot with one fish over 22" and a 4 fish limit.

Plenty for the table and good for the fishery. B)

#45 PhillyFisherman

PhillyFisherman

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 369 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:42 AM

~Dan, I totally agree! Makes sense! I've had days offshore where it's drop and reel on those bigger ones and putting a slot in would protect the breeders. Most definitely, it would take a lot of convincing, though, to get anglers to realize what a slot fish would do for the fishery.~

B)
Romans 6:23

#46 flyers1kak

flyers1kak

PAC Regular

• Registered Guest
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 03:34 PM

got out again with insomniac saturday. topwater plugs in 2 feet of water, epic! ended up with 8 bass between me and my buddy, with 2 about this size

Posted Image

also got my first keeper flounder of the year at 19.5" friday behind wildwood... was delicious :)

Posted Image

#47 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:33 PM

Flyers... looks like you had a good weekend fishing the salt. Well done!

#48 The Don

The Don

FISH HARD

• Charter Member
  • 2,560 posts
  • LocationPhila,pa

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:45 PM

Very nice Flyers,Those glasses are killing me :lol: :lol: :lol:
Throw your lure in the water and put the puzzle together..

#49 flyers1kak

flyers1kak

PAC Regular

• Registered Guest
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:04 PM

haha don, i ordered the white frames, and once they came in i realized i wasn't feelin them and liked the black better but whatever. they're great though, can see everything in the water. costa is the bomb B)

#50 Aki

Aki

Fish 300+ days a year!

• Charter Member
  • 1,847 posts
  • LocationTokyo Bay

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:34 PM

Nice report flyers.
Sounds like you had a blast out there. Nothing is more exciting than catching fish on topwater plug. :)
Always thinking of fishing around Philly....

#51 Nick with a K

Nick with a K

Sir

• Charter Member
  • 733 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:09 AM

I got out on a friends boat a couple days ago, and picked up a bunch of fluke. It is was the first time I got to use a new rod I wrapped over the winter. It was a cool feeling to catch a fish on something I made. White Gulp! 4" mullet outperformed other colors or bait. We had about 5-1 throwback to keeper ratio, which was an improvment over this time last year. On a side note a lot of the fish we caught had grass shrimp in their bellies, and there were plenty on the bulkheads at the docks. There was some talk about weakfish, but I didn't see any caught.

#52 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:43 PM

I got out on a friends boat a couple days ago, and picked up a bunch of fluke. It is was the first time I got to use a new rod I wrapped over the winter. It was a cool feeling to catch a fish on something I made. White Gulp! 4" mullet outperformed other colors or bait. We had about 5-1 throwback to keeper ratio, which was an improvment over this time last year. On a side note a lot of the fish we caught had grass shrimp in their bellies, and there were plenty on the bulkheads at the docks. There was some talk about weakfish, but I didn't see any caught.

Well done Nick and caught on your own craftmanship... thanks for the report... it would be nice if the weakfish population rebounded.

#53 Nick with a K

Nick with a K

Sir

• Charter Member
  • 733 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:27 AM

Thanks, George. I wouldn't call it craftsmanship yet, but it's a vast improvement over my first attempt.
Hopefully we will see an improvement in the weakfishes stocks soon.

#54 Romo

Romo

Invasive Species Enthusiast

• Charter Member - Expired
  • PipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:25 AM

Had a great time on the Mako with captain Dano yesterday. Easily put 60 or so flounders in the boat all on gulp. Only 3 keepers in the bunch. We both dropped some heavier fish, though. Magic rig was the double hi-low gulp skrimp rig. Also got into some bonus jumbo croakers, saw some BIG sharks thrashing around in the back, and some of the dumbest boating moves I have ever witnessed. I even managed my obligatory rat striper that I thought was a nice weakie. Nice way to wrap up the holiday weekend for sure
Kill your limit, don't limit your kill.

#55 dano

dano

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:32 PM

Had a great time on the Mako with captain Dano yesterday. Easily put 60 or so flounders in the boat all on gulp. Only 3 keepers in the bunch. We both dropped some heavier fish, though. Magic rig was the double hi-low gulp skrimp rig. Also got into some bonus jumbo croakers, saw some BIG sharks thrashing around in the back, and some of the dumbest boating moves I have ever witnessed. I even managed my obligatory rat striper that I thought was a nice weakie. Nice way to wrap up the holiday weekend for sure

wouldve been nice to get more than 3 keepers, but at least the action was okay. like you said, we defintely dropped a few keepers along the way. i know that one i had on was a mogan type. we dropped alot of shorts too, the bite was a little finicky. i think its time to break out some live spot fish to get those mogan fluke that are still in the back waters.

i am starting to think that all the rustling around we saw on the flats may have been large rays. defintely possible they were sharks judging by how they were charging and thrashing, but we saw a couple large rays basking on the surface out there too.

the jumbo croakers were a nice surprise. i know we could have stayed on them if wanted too. they seemed isolated.
Join CCA!

#56 Nick with a K

Nick with a K

Sir

• Charter Member
  • 733 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:08 PM

the jumbo croakers were a nice surprise. i know we could have stayed on them if wanted too. they seemed isolated.

Sounds like they were adolescents. I wouldn't worry about it it's probably just a phase...

#57 dano

dano

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:22 PM

Sounds like they were adolescents. I wouldn't worry about it it's probably just a phase...

Wasnt worried about it... they are fun to catch, and fight better than a short fluke. These were bigger than the typical croakers you find every now and then in the back bays. A pound or two I suppose... ALMOST too big for striper bait. ;)
Join CCA!

#58 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:28 PM

Nice work Dano and Romo!

#59 Jesse

Jesse

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 237 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:29 AM

Just got back from 4 days at the shore, towed the skiff down. Lots and lots of short fluke, only a couple keepers every day, all on Gulp swimming mullet in white.

The real fun was the nitetime trips to fish dock lites for stripers on topwater. Just ridiculous numbers of 18-26" fish on light tackle.

Couldnt get bit on spooks, but pop Rs worked good. Small x raps were the deadliest though. Im exhausted from doing it every night but it was worth it.

#60 Nick with a K

Nick with a K

Sir

• Charter Member
  • 733 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:31 AM

Sounds like you had a good vacation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users