#1 Leo S

Leo S

PAC Lurker

• Club Member - Expired
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:05 PM

I usually post my reports on the members section, but I've decided to post it once for the open public (for a change!). Considering the fact that many informative and good reports are on the members section, and it's only 3 bucks a month to access it, I decided to post it here specifically this time because a couple fishermen didn't believe carps were in the nontidal Schuylkill at all. They seemed like nice people, and so I told them I'll post it on the PAC forum, under local fishing. Hopefully they will be curious enough to come here to take a look. Anyways...

So, I've decided to go out today to fish. I departed at 10:30 a.m., and got at Kelly Drive around noon (12:30 p.m.). I fished till the end of the afternoon (5:30 p.m.).

To tell the truth, I didn't expect many fish today. Maybe the regular catfish, but not carp. The spawning activity levels were very high, and fish were jumping non stop at that portion of the river. They were jumpimg to such highs that a person could see them for a good 1-2 seconds outside of the water! It was extremelly beautiful, and artistic in some ways...

The first fish came at 2:45p.m. It was around 7-9lb, by naked eye, and it got away right in front of me, before I could net it. It unhooked itself, and went away. I didn't lose any equipment on this one, and hopefully his mouth will heal soon!

The second one came at 3:38p.m. This one gave an extremelly good fight! It took me a good 20 minutes to land this one. He ran wild till the middle of the river, and resisted the fight for a long time. It was def. a pleasurable experience. It weighted 16.8lb, and it took it a little while to revive and swim away. My bet is that it was very tired from the fight. However, it swam away nicely, after a little while. It wasn't a "floater", thanks God. It's funny how the regular small carps just pull the rod down, burning the drag, while the bigger ones get the line loose. I think it's their instinct to try to get rid of the hook in their mouths, hence they know there's something wrong there. Too bad it was hooked good from the moment it touched the corn, not by luck! The picture for this one is just below.

The third and last one of the day came at 4:40p.m. It didn't put a long fight as the previous one, so I expected it to be smaller. It weighted 11.2lb, and it was beautiful and health.

Concluding, it was a wonderful day. I went there expecting zero fish, and landed three. I couldn't have asked for more! Curiously, on my way back, just after the girard ave. bridge, I saw someone that looked like Louis! It was a guy trying to hike the rock next to the bridge. Quite funny, cuz it looked a lot like Louis. Anyways...

The photos are below, enjoy!

It was a beautiful day at the non-tidal Skuke today.
Attached File  CIMG2526.JPG   175.57K   39 downloads

This one is the 16.8lb. Don't mind my head, the fish is what it matters.
Attached File  CIMG2521.JPG   182.96K   30 downloads

It took a little bit to swim away, but it walked away safe and sound!
Attached File  CIMG2523.JPG   174.81K   34 downloads

This one is the 11.2lb, ready to shake my hand.
Attached File  CIMG2525.JPG   181.85K   29 downloads

Can't wait to go fishing again, even though it's been scorching outside lately! :) :) :)

#2 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 827 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:52 PM

Wish i could have joined ya! nice pics!
Itching for some fishing.

#3 GC

GC

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:53 AM

Well done Leo... a near 17 pound carp is definitely above average for that stretch of the river. High water temps will even stress the durable carp.

#4 The Don

The Don

FISH HARD

• Charter Member
  • 2,560 posts
  • LocationPhila,pa

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:37 AM

Nice report,Job well done,Did anyone tell you,The more fish you catch ,The bigger your head will grow :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Throw your lure in the water and put the puzzle together..

#5 flyers1kak

flyers1kak

PAC Regular

• Registered Guest
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:35 AM

nice fish leo. sometimes it's nice when the smaller ones do a self release. since i can't access the members only section i figured i'd post it here. got my new pb mirror last night, at 19.5 lbs. theyve been really active lately and fishings been good. i ordered some hand tied hair rigs yesterday, i figured it's about time i try doing this the right way :D

Attached File  carp.jpg   870.61K   30 downloads

#6 Leo S

Leo S

PAC Lurker

• Club Member - Expired
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:26 AM

Wish i could have joined ya! nice pics!

No worries, buddy! Who knows...there's always a next week. Just focus on what you have to do. I've actually been busy too =(

#7 Leo S

Leo S

PAC Lurker

• Club Member - Expired
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:27 AM

Nice report,Job well done,Did anyone tell you,The more fish you catch ,The bigger your head will grow :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My head's too big already, it won't grow anymore. lmao. :P :P

#8 Leo S

Leo S

PAC Lurker

• Club Member - Expired
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:29 AM

nice fish leo. sometimes it's nice when the smaller ones do a self release. since i can't access the members only section i figured i'd post it here. got my new pb mirror last night, at 19.5 lbs. theyve been really active lately and fishings been good. i ordered some hand tied hair rigs yesterday, i figured it's about time i try doing this the right way :D

That's nice, man! I'm happy for you! Good that they are very active lately, cuz it hasn't been really good at the Skuke. I went to the tidal section the other day (did some pre-chum the day before), stayed there for 7 hours, and NOTHING! only 4 catfish...which was a pain! =(

#9 GC

GC

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:23 PM

Good that they are very active lately, cuz it hasn't been really good at the Skuke. I went to the tidal section the other day (did some pre-chum the day before), stayed there for 7 hours, and NOTHING! only 4 catfish...which was a pain! =(

Once the Skuke Tidal waters warm-up you're cooked as far as catching carp during the daylight hours is concerned. You may get an occasional stray here and there, but there is way more waiting than even I can tolerate. I spent countless sessions like the one you described above during the summer months. The only difference is I caught way more catfish than just four per session :rolleyes:

#10 GC

GC

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:26 PM

since i can't access the members only section i figured i'd post it here. got my new pb mirror last night, at 19.5 lbs. theyve been really active lately and fishings been good. i ordered some hand tied hair rigs yesterday, i figured it's about time i try doing this the right way :D

Attached File  carp.jpg   870.61K   30 downloads

First, there is no right way... seems like you're doing pretty darn good to me... CONGRATS on your PB mirror... cool fish!

#11 springgardener

springgardener

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 97 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:15 PM

Great report Leo. I enjoyed reading your blog too. Keep the stories and pics coming!

#12 Leo S

Leo S

PAC Lurker

• Club Member - Expired
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:54 PM

Once the Skuke Tidal waters warm-up you're cooked as far as catching carp during the daylight hours is concerned. You may get an occasional stray here and there, but there is way more waiting than even I can tolerate. I spent countless sessions like the one you described above during the summer months. The only difference is I caught way more catfish than just four per session :rolleyes:

OUCH! That sounded extremelly painful =(
Sincerely? I don't think i'll try the tidal again till March/April of next year. Maybe I'll try of these days - when I get REALLY CRAZY! Hahaha

Thanks for the tip, though, GC.

#13 Leo S

Leo S

PAC Lurker

• Club Member - Expired
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:55 PM

Great report Leo. I enjoyed reading your blog too. Keep the stories and pics coming!

Hey! Thanks man, I appreciate it. =)

Surely will!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users