• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:11 PM

New jersey has already made it official that they will close river herring in the big d as of january 1, 2012 . I found this while looking for pa proposals.

http://www.fish.stat...ngs/225nprp.pdf

Dosent look good :/
Itching for some fishing.

#2 Doc Watson

Doc Watson

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:44 AM

Stupid politicians !!! A simpler solution would be to increase the creel limit on striped bass to 35 with no size limit for a few years. The herring population would explode !!! B)

#3 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:11 AM

Thats what i said! i read that the historical population of stripers have made a comeback, times like 10 or somthing. F**k the slot, it already served its purpose 26" at 50 fish until the herring (and shad) population stables, then make it 4 fish at 28" year round

#4 dano

dano

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:36 AM

you guys are brainwashed.

1st step - stop the over fishing for herring and bunker by commercials. both species are overfished by the commercials, not by stripers and dolphins. stripers and bunker and herring and seatrout and strugeon and everything else co-extisted for thousands of years. the number 1 x-factor is commercial fishing. but cormorants may also have an impact. each year, there are more and more of these things. a prime example of an invasive species.

i am hoping for Maryland to leave river herring open to recreationals next year. we'll see. i have a feeling they will leave it open for commercial bait suppliers but close it to recs. All to make a buck...
Join CCA!
http://joincca.org/
http://ccamd.org/

#5 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:48 AM

Dont commercial fisheries have too much say in all this? This would happen just as i start to get into striper fishing :/

#6 Romo

Romo

Invasive Species Enthusiast

• Charter Member - Expired
  • PipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:46 PM

Dont commercial fisheries have too much say in all this? This would happen just as i start to get into striper fishing :/

You don't need herrings to catch stripers. But it helps.
Kill your limit, don't limit your kill.

#7 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:47 PM

Yeah i know, and blood worms are expensive as shit so this will give me good practice in using artificial for them which is one of my goals for next year, always gotta look at the bright side.

#8 Aki

Aki

Fish 300+ days a year!

• Charter Member
  • 1,847 posts
  • LocationTokyo Bay

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:32 PM

Yeah i know, and blood worms are expensive as shit so this will give me good practice in using artificial for them which is one of my goals for next year, always gotta look at the bright side.

Next year?
Fall run is just around the corner or about to start.

I fished for striper pretty hard on fall of 08 with Chris (McIntee) and put most report on the forum. You may find some hints here and there reading these old reports.

http://www.cookplex....me-of-the-year/

http://www.cookplex....ned-on-bigtime/

http://www.cookplex....shore-is-alive/
Always thinking of fishing around Philly....

#9 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:42 PM

I would kill ti get a trip down there this season, i wish i had a car, thanks for the links those are some GREAT reports.

#10 WG

WG

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:54 AM

you guys are brainwashed.

1st step - stop the over fishing for herring and bunker by commercials. both species are overfished by the commercials, not by stripers and dolphins. stripers and bunker and herring and seatrout and strugeon and everything else co-extisted for thousands of years. the number 1 x-factor is commercial fishing. but cormorants may also have an impact. each year, there are more and more of these things. a prime example of an invasive species.

i am hoping for Maryland to leave river herring open to recreationals next year. we'll see. i have a feeling they will leave it open for commercial bait suppliers but close it to recs. All to make a buck...

Who is brainwashed?? Maybe you are too!:P As for the herring population it IS DOWN, seriously down.......AND all BECAUSE OF HUMAN INTERFERENCE....Thats both in netting shit out of existence, AND mismanagement of an APEX predator to become the most numerous fish in the ocean, the striped bass.....sorry but thats fact....and cormorants DEFINITELY kill tons of herrring, hickories and shad, is there anyway to get them out of the equation?????

As for bait, cut gizzards work too, especially in the fall....I doubt Maryland will allow any herring use next year.....

#11 Tom

Tom

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:27 AM

Who is brainwashed?? Maybe you are too!:P As for the herring population it IS DOWN, seriously down.......AND all BECAUSE OF HUMAN INTERFERENCE....Thats both in netting shit out of existence, AND mismanagement of an APEX predator to become the most numerous fish in the ocean, the striped bass.....sorry but thats fact....and cormorants DEFINITELY kill tons of herrring, hickories and shad, is there anyway to get them out of the equation?????

As for bait, cut gizzards work too, especially in the fall....I doubt Maryland will allow any herring use next year.....

To address the cormorant situation, which certainly is a factor, they would need to be moved from the protected species list for birds. Many birds fall under a protected species status by their "type". For example, all birds of prey (raptors) are protected but I don't think there is any shortage of turkey vultures. In fact, ask any small game hunter about the impact this blanket status has had on their pheasant and rabbit hunting. I have on a few occassions found pheasants with heads ripped off out on the field...this can happen when they are taken down by a raptor since they are too big to carry back to a nest. They will eat the "best" part and leave the rest to rot.

If they ever allow hunting for cormorats I will be buying a case of 3" steel shot magnum loads and taking a week off to spend some quality time on the water with my Remington 1187 autoloader instead of a fishing rod.

The herring thing, IMO, is a reult of all of the factors previously mentioned.

#12 dano

dano

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:09 AM

No doubt gizzards will work. But herring = crack cocaine for a striper. And gizzard shad smell like shit. :(

Stop netting. Then the apex predator and prey can reach a balance. Not the stripers fault. Killing stripers or suggesting that more stripers be killed does not solve the problem. Hate the game, not the player. :P
Join CCA!

#13 Doc Watson

Doc Watson

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:48 AM

No doubt gizzards will work. But herring = crack cocaine for a striper. And gizzard shad smell like shit. :(

Stop netting. Then the apex predator and prey can reach a balance. Not the stripers fault. Killing stripers or suggesting that more stripers be killed does not solve the problem. Hate the game, not the player. :P

I didn't blame the stripers. I blamed the stupid politicians. Stripers are GREAT !!! A good game fish that is excellent table fare as well. I do blame the game for the problem and proposed one change that would make a difference (exaggerated to make a point). But the "players" in the game I have a problem with are the people who make the laws based on campaign contributions from lobbyists rather than make regulations to solve the problem. :angry:

#14 dano

dano

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:49 AM

If they ever allow hunting for cormorats I will be buying a case of 3" steel shot magnum loads and taking a week off to spend some quality time on the water with my Remington 1187 autoloader instead of a fishing rod.

I've never been one for the hunting thing, but I'll gladly join you. Sounds like fun. I bet they drop like rocks they are so full of fish.
Join CCA!

#15 Tom

Tom

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:41 PM

I've never been one for the hunting thing, but I'll gladly join you. Sounds like fun. I bet they drop like rocks they are so full of fish.

I have been a hunter almost as long as I have been a fisherman....though it is one of the hobbies that has been more neglected in recent years since there is only so much time ;) Fishing trumps it, of course.

Cormorants are a real problem. I am sure you have often seen the increasingly huge numbers of them both on the Skuke and especially the Susky. This Spring was ridiculous! They are eating machines and take down lots of pounds of fish in a day. A bad thing for all species....

I have a pump 12 gauge I could lend you...no problem ;)

#16 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:12 AM

If it was illegal to collect herring from the big d next year, would i be allowed to use herring caught from elsewhere in the river?

#17 Nick with a K

Nick with a K

Sir

• Charter Member
  • 733 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:28 AM

If it was illegal to collect herring from the big d next year, would i be allowed to use herring caught from elsewhere in the river?

Nope, you wouldn't be allowed to have them in your possession.

#18 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:42 PM

Darn! thought i found a loophole.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users