Carp Fishing Almost Every Day (2008)

• Please log in to reply
431 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jude__*

Guest_Jude__*
  • Unregistered Guest

Posted 22 June 2008 - 10:28 AM

I guess we need a carp fishing thread now..
popcorn

#2 Doug

Doug

PAC Regular

• Club Member - Expired
  • PipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:11 PM

i don't get out much for carp, but i did tonight, got my new PB.
[image]Posted Image[/image]

[image]Posted Image[/image]

Thanks for the pics Tom.
71.11% OF THE EARTH IS WATER.....THATS ALOT OF FISH

#3 chris

chris

PAC Regular

• Charter Member - Expired
  • PipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 05:59 PM

baited my knot on the C&D yesterday and today... hopefully itll be ripe tonight.
they down there

#4 chris

chris

PAC Regular

• PipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:09 PM

2 carp in just under an hour. I caught the 2nd carp and immediatly left. I will not waste any more time with C&D carp, both fish were around 10lbs and fought equivalent to what a 14" trout would fight on 30lb braid, a GL2 and stradic 4000, both were within grabbing distance in less than 15 seconds... I cant understand why these fish dont fight, but it sure is boring as shit to catch them. Plus you gotta set the hook on them right away, they dont pick up the bait and run like Im used to, a bite alarm is pretty much useless. Every carp Ive caught down here has had virtually no fight whatsoever, they just come up to the bank with a couple head movements along the way... its like they dont know how to rip drag.
they down there

#5 Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05

PAC Regular

• Registered Guest
  • PipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 01:49 AM

Thats interesting Chris maybe the heat zapped some of their will power...  ???  I have only meet 1 carp that didn't put up a fight two summers ago...I can see how you would be a bit upset...The drag burning runs are half the fun....
As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler.

#6 kg1870

kg1870

PAC Regular

• Registered Guest
  • PipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 09:03 AM

2 carp in just under an hour. I caught the 2nd carp and immediatly left. I will not waste any more time with C&D carp, both fish were around 10lbs and fought equivalent to what a 14" trout would fight on 30lb braid, a GL2 and stradic 4000, both were within grabbing distance in less than 15 seconds... I cant understand why these fish dont fight, but it sure is boring as shit to catch them. Plus you gotta set the hook on them right away, they dont pick up the bait and run like Im used to, a bite alarm is pretty much useless. Every carp Ive caught down here has had virtually no fight whatsoever, they just come up to the bank with a couple head movements along the way... its like they dont know how to rip drag.

I have no idea where you were fishing but when I see this it is usually a lack of oxygen in the water or post spawn.

#7 kg1870

kg1870

PAC Regular

• Registered Guest
  • PipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:28 AM

I usually don't take pics of my fish unless they are pretty big. I caught this 23lb common yesterday and it was just fin perfect. It was never caught before as well and put up a great fight. I caught bigger ones yesterday but none that looked as good as this one. I caught it on maize and some fake maize I am testing for a new supplier.

Posted Image

Hey Mr. Catfisherman, Tan, I was also catching nice blue cats on a pineapple pop up boilie that was zig rigged 6ft off the bottom. No pics though. Maybe a new technique for you to try. I had a small flathead as well.

#8 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 12:04 PM

Ken... that is quite the specimen. Definitely worth the time to take a photo. Well done and thanks for sharing!

Interesting report Chris. The only time I've experienced lack of fight are in the conditions that Ken has already mentioned and also in the winter when water temp is below 50 degrees. Without the fight, I agree it would be very boring fishing for carp.

#9 kg1870

kg1870

PAC Regular

• Registered Guest
  • PipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 01:08 PM

Chris, with carp fishing there is no hookset needed. duh.

come down to delaware and dont set the hook when you get a bite, see how many carp you catch. I had 3 bites where the rod tip started bouncing, I did not set the hook. The last 2 bites I had I was holding the rod and set the hook on them, and went 2 for 2. Thats part of the reason I left after releasing the 2nd fish, its stupid on the C&D. Im only fishing about 6' of water... the canal itself is around 40' deep, thats probably where the big ones are but theres no effective way to chum with a constant tide ripping.

How do you fish? What is your rig like? Fish method out further and replace often. You should be able to catch in deeper water then. IMO.

#10 kg1870

kg1870

PAC Regular

• Registered Guest
  • PipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 01:11 PM

KG beautiful Carp you have... I was catching a few channel cats using a pineapple boilie (they eat everything)  myself in the Delaware earlier in the year..It wont surprise me that a blue will take them..

Cats will take most fruit flavored boilies. A zig rig allows you to fish bait off the bottom. My pop up was hanging about 6-7 ft off the bottom. That is what suprised me when they took the boilie from this position in the water.

#11 chris

chris

PAC Regular

• PipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 01:26 PM

I use a hair rig to swivel to sinker slide and 2ounce weight. I have used hair rigs for a few years but never gave in to bolt rigs, I seem to have good success with sinker slides, why fix what aint broke, ya know? I really cant see any logical way to chum without buying some techincal carp gear online, unless chumming slower shallower water out of the main channel, where as I said, its around 30-45' deep with a strong current. Ive casted a 4 ounce weight+bluegill out into the canal and by the time it hits the bottom it is 40 yards downtide of where I casted. It would be nice if I ran into a fisherman down here that knew how to catch big carp who I could learn off of, I know theres some monsters down there, the canal is so wide and deep, and connects two bodies of water which both hold populations of trophy carp. Theres gotta be a way to catch the 20s+ out of there, if not 30s, I should try scouting out new spots in deep water with some sort of current obstructions... or I could fish lums pond, apparently some big carp in there although the only ones Ive caught have been in the 2-5lb range. I think the spot Ive been baiting/fishing will be good in the colder months when the fish are looking for warmer water.
they down there

#12 phillycat/doubleg

phillycat/doubleg

PAC Regular

• PipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 01:45 PM

Chris, try fishing downtown Wilmington. The Brandywine would probably give you better results than the C&D canal.
If I had the time,and the gas prices weren't too high, I'd fish more in DE. :P

Take a kid fishing.
Think of the future.
www.takemefishing.org

#13 kg1870

kg1870

PAC Regular

• Registered Guest
  • PipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 01:53 PM

I use a hair rig to swivel to sinker slide and 2ounce weight. I have used hair rigs for a few years but never gave in to bolt rigs, I seem to have good success with sinker slides, why fix what aint broke, ya know? I really cant see any logical way to chum without buying some techincal carp gear online, unless chumming slower shallower water out of the main channel, where as I said, its around 30-45' deep with a strong current. Ive casted a 4 ounce weight+bluegill out into the canal and by the time it hits the bottom it is 40 yards downtide of where I casted. It would be nice if I ran into a fisherman down here that knew how to catch big carp who I could learn off of, I know theres some monsters down there, the canal is so wide and deep, and connects two bodies of water which both hold populations of trophy carp. Theres gotta be a way to catch the 20s+ out of there, if not 30s, I should try scouting out new spots in deep water with some sort of current obstructions... or I could fish lums pond, apparently some big carp in there although the only ones Ive caught have been in the 2-5lb range. I think the spot Ive been baiting/fishing will be good in the colder months when the fish are looking for warmer water.

I can see why you set the hook using a running rig. I would recommend the bolt rig for where you fish. You don't need to fish in that deep water. Look for slower moving pools to fish and bait. If you bait areas closer to where you can reach the fish will fisnd the bait. Just stay at it. What are you baiting with and how much are you putting in?

#14 chris

chris

PAC Regular

• PipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 02:37 PM

Im using maize... Ill usually throw 2-3 gallons in, yesterday I threw in 1 gallon around noon, another 2 gallons after I was done fishing around 11ish, and the day before threw about 2-3 gallons in. I agree, a bolt rig will probably be a better option..
they down there

#15 kg1870

kg1870

PAC Regular

• Registered Guest
  • PipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 04:27 PM

I know you a college guy so I am not sure what you can afford, but I would up the amount of bait you throw in. When Matt was down he I probably threw in over 150 lbs of bait in 3 days. Maize, range cubes, boilies, crack corn, and grits balls. We throw in 500lbs of bait over a week until we get fish in and then throw a 5 gallon bucket of maize in every day or so thereafter.

#16 chris

chris

PAC Regular

• PipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 11:55 PM

went in search of new territory today, found some slower deeper water where Ill concentrate some of my future efforts... while driving down the dirt road that runs parrallel to the canal I saw a snake in the middle of the road, drove over it and slammed the brakes, got out and captured it... garter snake? extremely vicious, actually was slithering towards me trying to bite me once it realized I was trying to catch it.

Posted Image

then I caught this =) along with a couple others slightly smaller, also got a 10" channel cat.

Posted Image

at least I broke the ice, I have fished the canal about 6 times and caught 1-3 fish each time, not been skunked yet, so its not SO bad, just gotta search out the bigger fish. also saw deer, about a hundred rabbits, a fox, osprey, raccoon, and some sort of weasel... looked like a white squirrel whatever it was, I almost nailed it as I was driving home.
they down there

#17 kg1870

kg1870

PAC Regular

• Registered Guest
  • PipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:29 AM

Chris,

You have been hanging with Louis to much when it comes to playing with nature. I hate snakes. Nice fish and stay at it.
From what I hear about you, you'll find the big ones. One thing I notice here is that after the spawn it has taken the big females awhile to come out and feed again. I think they are feeding but on high protein stuff to but weight back on. In my opinion now is a good time to try crawdads as a hook bait. The only problem is that you might find a ton on cats as well.

Kent

#18 PhillyFisherman

PhillyFisherman

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 369 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:34 AM

~How would you hook the crawdads, just curious? Would you just use the tail?~

8)
Romans 6:23

#19 kg1870

kg1870

PAC Regular

• Registered Guest
  • PipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:46 AM

That is how I do it.

#20 chris

chris

PAC Regular

• PipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:18 AM

tonight I changed things up a bit, I baited a spot earlier in the day but decided I would fish for channeys tonight... hit lums pond around 10pm to catch bait, caught a few white perch and fished the lower delaware/upper bay for the first time. Broke off a fish on a perch head, dont know what it was, most likely a channey... noticed after that that I was getting a lot of tiny bites, so I put a perch fillet on a tiny jighead and dropped it close to the dock I was fishing off. bingo, blueclaw! only a little guy, but the next one wasnt so lucky when he measured 5". Caught about 6 blueclaws only one keeper, all by swinging them up onto the dock with my ultralight. Just ate him and I think tomorrow I will spend a long time trying to catch a meals worth with some actual crab traps and handlines!
they down there

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users