• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:50 PM

I like how the handle is on the left a lot, but i am not really familiar with baitcasters and would like to give them a try. I need one for casting big plugs. Is anyone familiar with this model?
Itching for some fishing.

#2 Nick with a K

Nick with a K

Sir

• Charter Member
  • 733 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:17 AM

I like how the handle is on the left a lot, but i am not really familiar with baitcasters and would like to give them a try. I need one for casting big plugs. Is anyone familiar with this model?

Most baitcasters, or at least a good number of them, come in left handed models. They usually have an "L" or a "1" at the end of the product id. For example 5600 bcx is a right hand retrieve while a 5601 bcx is a lefty. I think that's what you saw. If your buying on line, and want the left handed model, make sure that's what your getting. Most web designers aren't fishermen, and wouldn't know the difference, so the pictures might not match exactly.

Abu's are pretty reliable reels. If possible, you should try to get one made in Sweden rather than China.

#3 mr.fish

mr.fish

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 663 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:13 PM

hj

#4 mr.fish

mr.fish

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 663 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:14 PM

If you plan on casting plugs all day with a abu, your insane. That 5600bcx is a cheap model and wont last long if your using it to throw bigger plugs. The drag, and bearings in those lower end abu's are garbage. Go with a bigger model low profile Curado, or Revo Toro. They both are made in left handed models, and have better drags then just about all the abu models. Trust me, casting lures all day on a grindy, non smooth round reel is going to suck.

#5 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:15 PM

Well thanks for the straight anwser, and nick for the left right handed model mame differences. This reel just caught my eye at dicks but im glad i didnt jump ahead with it, i am still very new to small baitcasters for throwing lures. Thanks again, ill look into those models but will definitly practice with a cheaper model before upgrading first.

#6 Aki

Aki

Fish 300+ days a year!

• Charter Member
  • 1,847 posts
  • LocationTokyo Bay

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:27 AM

BCX should be a great reel to try out the small bait caster.
With proper cleaning and lubing, even lower end abu will last VERY long. Not to mention I throw 2oz musky size lures on abu reels. If you are gonna spend more than $100 on baitcasting reel, go with Shimano or Daiwa. But for the cheaper model, no other reel beats the classic round shape abu.
Always thinking of fishing around Philly....

#7 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:27 PM

Ahh decisions decisions....

#8 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:17 PM

I ended up ordering one. Figured i would use this to practice my bait casting skills and to see if i want to actually spend more money on a higher quality models. Seems like a solid model, has some plastic gears which i am kinda nervous about but we will see how they hold up, if it breaks or i end up not liking bait casters, not a big loss. Only ran me 60 bucks new. I paired it up with a 6'6 Falcon BuCoo micro guide rod, Made in the us :) Probably insulting the rod with a china made reel. :lol:

Posted Image

#9 Aki

Aki

Fish 300+ days a year!

• Charter Member
  • 1,847 posts
  • LocationTokyo Bay

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:09 AM

If you're gonna put braided line on that reel, make sure to spool with 40~80lb braid. I would reccomend 50 or 65lb braid or 16~25lb mono. Thicker line is easier to fix the birds nests. Use 5/8oz or heavier lures on them and you'll like it.
Good luck :)

#10 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:15 PM

Yeah i put 30lb braid on it at first and that was a mistake....dug into the spool like crazy, i am probably gona go with #50. A weird think i cant figure out is that the combo that they have at dicks with this exact reel is a lot looser it seems, the spool spins a lot longer and reeling it is a much smoother, it feels like there is much more friction. The one i have is much tighter. I lubed it up with some abu reel oil and it didnt really changed much, do i have to just break it in to get the same feeling as the one on display at dicks?

#11 Aki

Aki

Fish 300+ days a year!

• Charter Member
  • 1,847 posts
  • LocationTokyo Bay

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:16 PM

You need to loosen the mechanical break on handle side. :)
Adjust it till your lure slowly drops. If you get used to casting with it, then loosen it for more distence. :)

#12 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

i loosened it as much as possible and its still a little stiffer than the models on display at dicks, been practicing casting with it. it can throw a one ounce weight a good distance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users