• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:13 PM

Despite the weather i decided to head out for some panfish action. So me and my friend headed over to core creek in the pouring rain. Actually hooked into a good ammount of fish, but my friend only snagged a gizzard shad. I caught 2 white perch, 3 crappie, a rainbow trout and snagged 2 gizzards. All caught on a joes fly inline spinner, probably my favorite lure ever.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Itching for some fishing.

#2 mr.fish

mr.fish

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 663 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:17 PM

That holdover looks to be in great shape. No molted fins, and lean colors. These little warm streaks get the fish on the feed. Way to make something of the rainy day.
Never fished there. Is that in the creek or the lake? Passed it a few times, but always thought it would be a over pressured trashed up park.

#3 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

Yeah its pretty overfished in my opinion but not so much in the winter, i think we were the only people there today. All of these fish were caught at the mouth of the spillway, warmer water being drained from the bottom of the lake. Had countless amounts of hits too and lost fish.

#4 The Don

The Don

FISH HARD

• Charter Member
  • 2,560 posts
  • LocationPhila,pa

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:58 PM

Nice,I got the itch bad!!!
Throw your lure in the water and put the puzzle together..

#5 springgardener

springgardener

PAC Lurker

• Club Member - Expired
  • Pip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:50 PM

Yeah its pretty overfished in my opinion but not so much in the winter, i think we were the only people there today. All of these fish were caught at the mouth of the spillway, warmer water being drained from the bottom of the lake. Had countless amounts of hits too and lost fish.

Nice report, good job getting out there today, and catching fish taboot.

#6 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:25 AM

I still had the itch until i got that trout, that fatty almost ran back up the pipe right back into the lake, loads of fun on light gear. Maybe ill get a surprise 15lb catfish or walleye that creep that lake next time, who knows.

#7 dano

dano

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:29 PM

those gizzards could be good striper bait in the spring, if you're not using herring.

i am hoping the water flows are clear enough this spring that we wont need bait. but if its anything like the last couple springs, finding a good gizzard shad source will be key. ;)
Join CCA!
http://joincca.org/
http://ccamd.org/

#8 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

i snagged a little one, maybe about 3 inches, and it floated up after 5 minutes of release, they seem fragile. How do you go about actually catching them or is it a matter of just snagging?

#9 Tom

Tom

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

i snagged a little one, maybe about 3 inches, and it floated up after 5 minutes of release, they seem fragile. How do you go about actually catching them or is it a matter of just snagging?

Gizzards are actually fairly hardy, as long they aren't lifgted in the gills they should hold up just fine. Like other shads they will need well aerated water. Gizzards have tiny mouths and eat plant matter and zooplankton. Of the tons I have hooked over the years I am sure that all of them were accidental catches, even if the hook was in the mouth.

There are always LOADS of them in the late winter/early spring along the riprap at Conowingo. They are a pita when trying to get early running whites up there.

#10 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:26 PM

the little ones scales were disintegrating off his body in my hand like crazy i felt kinda bad. Looked like great bait thou for sure. anyone ever use Joes Flies?

#11 Dirty Byrd

Dirty Byrd

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 493 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

Nice,I got the itch bad!!!

I hope ur talking about the fishing itch!! :lol:
This is the cast!

#12 dano

dano

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:46 PM

we catch those little 3" to 6" gizzard in the summer time with cast nets in the upper chesepeake bay. they school up pretty good. i am sure you find the same thing in your delaware river haunts. but not sure if you can use a cast net. those little gizzards are the hot bait for summer time stripers. but too small for cut bait in the spring when the big stripers are in.

tom, the gizzards you find at conowingo... whats the size range? are they all big ugly ones, or do you see many the size of the one that was posted in the pic above?
Join CCA!

#13 matt

matt

knot conquistador

• Admin
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationUp the street from the knot!

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:01 PM

Dano - you switching over to the gizzies in 2012 due to the herring ban?

#14 The Don

The Don

FISH HARD

• Charter Member
  • 2,560 posts
  • LocationPhila,pa

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:56 PM

I hope ur talking about the fishing itch!! :lol:

:lol:...You know it!
Throw your lure in the water and put the puzzle together..

#15 dano

dano

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:07 PM

Dano - you switching over to the gizzies in 2012 due to the herring ban?

Matt,

if the water is dirty and bait is the only game in town, then yes, my plan is to use the gizzies.

Whenever we have good water clarify, i'll be pluggin. i just have to find a way to convince my dad that he can still drink alot of beer. i have a feeling he will want to troll. trolling = more time to drink beer. last time we had good water clarity was 2009. if we get another year like that, then plugging could be almost as productive as herring.

Dano
Join CCA!

#16 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:40 PM

Never knew gizzards would work so well.

#17 Deftik

Deftik

1337 oU7 of 7oWN3r

• Charter Member - Expired
  • PipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:24 PM

Nice white crappie, that one still eludes me...
Fishing is 24/7 365

#18 Deftik

Deftik

1337 oU7 of 7oWN3r

• Charter Member - Expired
  • PipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:28 PM

Ilovefishing, I know people that catch everything from gizzard shad to Asian Carp on flies so if u want to fair catch them that's the ticket.
Fishing is 24/7 365

#19 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:22 PM

Never even touched a fly rod before, but have always wanted t give it a try. i heard small pieces of bread on really tiny hooks works well too.

#20 Nick with a K

Nick with a K

Sir

• Charter Member
  • 733 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:19 AM

Ilovefishing, I know people that catch everything from gizzard shad to Asian Carp on flies so if u want to fair catch them that's the ticket.

That's good to know. What kind of flies? Are you sure they weren't just snagged in the mouth? I would think that if they hit flies, then they would probably hit a sabiki rig as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users