#1 fishingsj

fishingsj

PAC Regular

• Registered Guest
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:50 PM

Hey guys,

Haven't posted on here in about 2 years, I've been at college (Rutgers) so unfortunately I've had less time to get out and fish. However after 2 years of time managment skill practice, I think I've finally found some weekends/weeknights when I'll be free to test out the Raritan River. Anyone know anything about the striper run in the Raritan? I'm mainly trying to figure out if there is even a significant enough run that I'll be able to target the fish. If anyone knows anything about what to target in that region, the help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

--Andy
In the end the moment you catch that monster fish isnt the only one you remember. Its the struggles leading to that fish, the lessons learned, and the bonds formed that are the true great memory

#2 Nick with a K

Nick with a K

Sir

• Charter Member
  • 733 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:02 AM

Never fished it, but if you decide to this time of year, I would suggest fishing the mouths of tribs during the outgoing tide. I have some friends that live on the area, and they do have a stripers as well as a shad run up there.

#3 The Don

The Don

FISH HARD

• Charter Member
  • 2,560 posts
  • LocationPhila,pa

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:57 AM

I was wondering what happen to you,Welcome back and good luck!
Throw your lure in the water and put the puzzle together..

#4 Doc Watson

Doc Watson

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

Johnson Park will get you close to the water.

A shad fishery is also developing in the Raritan Riverthanks to a Division of Fish and Wildlife project in the 1980s that transplanted Delaware River fish there. The Division's efforts also resulted in the removal of migratory impediments such as the breaching of the Fieldsville Dam and the notch placed in Calco Dam. The construction of a fish ladder on the more recently constructed Island Farm Weir has cleared the way for shad up to the Nevius Street Dam in Raritan. The ladder, located at the confluence of the Millstone and the Raritan, is equipped with an underwater viewing room. Fish passage is monitored via a remote camera system that provides the division with information on the number of shad returning to the river. The Raritan striped bass fishery is also making a comeback, and the stretch of river through Bound Brook is a popular spot with anglers.

The river holds most species of fish from holdover trout to shad & stripers.

#5 fishingsj

fishingsj

PAC Regular

• Registered Guest
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

Alright, I know where Johnson park is, I was considering wading down a bit to a bridge that seems to cause a hard current when the tide is moving, it looks fishy when I pass it on the road. What is best to look for in a striper spot? I haven't done much targeting of stripers or shad, I mainly bass fish.

I may try to throw some cut bait out and see what takes it, I'll also cast some plugs I bought for stripers years ago. Any other advice?
In the end the moment you catch that monster fish isnt the only one you remember. Its the struggles leading to that fish, the lessons learned, and the bonds formed that are the true great memory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users