• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:51 PM

Got out for a few hours this afternoon/early evening hoping to hook up with a carp. None to be had. Had not pre-baited this spot, so I wasn't really surprised. Did manage to catch three channel cats who were interested in my corn. Beautiful weather conditions with low humidity and a pleasant breeze. I left some free offerings which I trust will entice some local bronze beauties to visit in the near future.

#62 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:56 PM

i gotta start carping!
Itching for some fishing.

#63 PhillyFisherman

PhillyFisherman

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 369 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:26 PM

what kind of reel is that, shimano? looks pretty similar to what I just got

Stradic 2500FI
Romans 6:23

#64 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:25 PM

Got out for a few hours late afternoon/early evening. Absolutely beautiful weather albeit a bit windy. Netted three carp. One was my first mirror of 2012. Going to go again early tomorrow.

#65 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

Went scouting for a new carp spot yesterday. Decided to go to the opposite side of the Big D. Mr.Fish and I had explored some territory east of the Delaware River in pursuit of the infamous snakehead. During our expedition we spotted areas that we thought would be carpy.

Got an early start yesterday and was fishing before sunrise. Whenever you are visiting an area that is off the beaten track, you never know what to expect. My plan was to put two rods out for carp and toss some artificials with the third. I spent five hours waiting for something to happen… nothing did. Not really surprising as this is a vast network of interconnected waterways and I was fishing one teeny tiny area.

Before leaving yesterday I put about 2 gallons of corn in the area. My game plan was to return early this morning. As I was driving at 4:45AM I got in the midst of a violent thunderstorm. Luckily it was relatively short-lived and it only delayed my start time this morning by about a half hour.

Rods in the water slightly after six. Very, very quiet just like yesterday. I casted an XRap and a Fluke for a while with nothing to show for it. Around 8:30AM I was getting ready to change to a different lure when I saw a carp tail emerge from the water right on the margin of my chum zone. I saw absolutely no carp action whatsoever yesterday, so this was an improvement. About 10 minutes pass and a carp porpoises on the opposite side of my swim. I'm anxiously awaiting one of my rods to go off and within two minutes my wish is granted. Fish ON! I'm ridiculously excited about catching my first non-PA carp. I must say this fish gave me everything I want from a carp. I land it and decide to take a photo of this NJ resident. As soon as the photo shoot is over the other rod goes off… my first NJ mirror. I get one more carp and a catfish and the heat comes on and the bite fades. Not one who enjoys baking in the sun I call it a day at 10:15. Mission accomplished.

#66 Doc Watson

Doc Watson

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:15 PM

Nice report George. Excellent work creating a productive swim overnight. B)

#67 springgardener

springgardener

PAC Lurker

• Club Member - Expired
  • Pip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:00 PM

Went scouting for a new carp spot yesterday. Decided to go to the opposite side of the Big D. Mr.Fish and I had explored some territory east of the Delaware River in pursuit of the infamous snakehead. During our expedition we spotted areas that we thought would be carpy.

Got an early start yesterday and was fishing before sunrise. Whenever you are visiting an area that is off the beaten track, you never know what to expect. My plan was to put two rods out for carp and toss some artificials with the third. I spent five hours waiting for something to happen… nothing did. Not really surprising as this is a vast network of interconnected waterways and I was fishing one teeny tiny area.

Before leaving yesterday I put about 2 gallons of corn in the area. My game plan was to return early this morning. As I was driving at 4:45AM I got in the midst of a violent thunderstorm. Luckily it was relatively short-lived and it only delayed my start time this morning by about a half hour.

Rods in the water slightly after six. Very, very quiet just like yesterday. I casted an XRap and a Fluke for a while with nothing to show for it. Around 8:30AM I was getting ready to change to a different lure when I saw a carp tail emerge from the water right on the margin of my chum zone. I saw absolutely no carp action whatsoever yesterday, so this was an improvement. About 10 minutes pass and a carp porpoises on the opposite side of my swim. I'm anxiously awaiting one of my rods to go off and within two minutes my wish is granted. Fish ON! I'm ridiculously excited about catching my first non-PA carp. I must say this fish gave me everything I want from a carp. I land it and decide to take a photo of this NJ resident. As soon as the photo shoot is over the other rod goes off… my first NJ mirror. I get one more carp and a catfish and the heat comes on and the bite fades. Not one who enjoys baking in the sun I call it a day at 10:15. Mission accomplished.

nice job exploring and baiting and getting it done in NJ. Will those pictures surface here?

#68 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

Cool story George, congrats. See any snakehead activity?
Itching for some fishing.

#69 matt

matt

knot conquistador

• Admin
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationUp the street from the knot!

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

Well done GC! Interestingly enough, I was out and about carp fishing at the same time as you this morning and had a very similar experience. Since its down the street from my house, I've been hitting one of the really easily fished non-tidal swims on the Schulkill. Fished it earlier in the week with Louis and we surprisingly only managed one fish. After some more bait went in, I decided to get down there pre-dawn for some action before work.

I arrived at the location at 5am sharp and was greeted by a fantastic lightning show. I sat in the car for 45 minutes watching the storm roll through from the west. Some of the best lightning I've seen in a long time, but not the type of storm to get caught holding a 12ft. fishing rod.

After the storm, I quickly got my lines in the water and was rewarded with a solid non-tidal low teen mirror. I missed another fish, and then landed a hard fighting common before I got chased away by the regatta.

It was a nice morning to be out, and nice to know someone else was doing the same thing and having similar experiences.

#70 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

Cool story George, congrats. See any snakehead activity?

Funny you should ask... yesterday, during the lull period which was the entire session I was meandering away from my spot looking for snakeheads. Like I said in my previous post, this area is a vast marshy tidal zone with interconnected waterways. As i strolled over to an adjacent waterway, I saw two fish breathing from the surface. Snakeheads are obligate air breathers, and I have observed this activity before. Bank access was tough, but I sprinted back to grab my rod to throw a lure at them. When I get back they are still breathing at the surface... no... wait... they are slurping at the surface. Big beautiful rubbery carp lips slurping some algae from the surface. If I had simply looked a bit closer the first time i would have realized they were carp. but lately I have had snakehead on the brain. No snakehead activity observed.

#71 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

Well done GC! Interestingly enough, I was out and about carp fishing at the same time as you this morning and had a very similar experience. Since its down the street from my house, I've been hitting one of the really easily fished non-tidal swims on the Schulkill. Fished it earlier in the week with Louis and we surprisingly only managed one fish. After some more bait went in, I decided to get down there pre-dawn for some action before work.

I arrived at the location at 5am sharp and was greeted by a fantastic lightning show. I sat in the car for 45 minutes watching the storm roll through from the west. Some of the best lightning I've seen in a long time, but not the type of storm to get caught holding a 12ft. fishing rod.

After the storm, I quickly got my lines in the water and was rewarded with a solid non-tidal low teen mirror. I missed another fish, and then landed a hard fighting common before I got chased away by the regatta.

It was a nice morning to be out, and nice to know someone else was doing the same thing and having similar experiences.

I parked right on the NJ bank of the Delaware River to observe the lightning show. It was fantastic... better than fireworks. Glad you got some this AM. Well done!

#72 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:15 PM

Nice report George. Excellent work creating a productive swim overnight. B)

Doc... if you don't mind hauling corn, it's not too hard to create a productive swim. I do believe this area would become very productive with heavy regular feedings.

#73 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

nice job exploring and baiting and getting it done in NJ. Will those pictures surface here?

For springgardener...

Attached Thumbnails

• NJCarp06292012.jpg
  • NJCarpMirror06292012.jpg

#74 springgardener

springgardener

PAC Lurker

• Club Member - Expired
  • Pip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:26 PM

that setting looks magical with that treeline in the background. The dripping water gives the pics a live action feel. And of course, those are some nice looking fish. Impressive you managed the pics in the water like that, and it gives the pics a pretty nice look.

Thanks for sharing,

#75 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:23 PM

that setting looks magical with that treeline in the background. The dripping water gives the pics a live action feel. And of course, those are some nice looking fish. Impressive you managed the pics in the water like that, and it gives the pics a pretty nice look.

Thanks for sharing,

Magical is a good descriptor of how I feel about fishing. Waiting alone in an environment that activates the primal part of my brain. I'm dipping my line into a world teeming with life that is generally invisible to my sense of sight. I get an occasional glimpse as a creature breaks the surface of the underwater world. My fishing line searches for evidence of life that lives underneath the surface. Watching my float, rod tip or better yet feeling the vibrations of my line communicating the fact that life is nearby. Battling an invisible creature that suddenly emerges from the water attached to the end of my line... examining the creature up close and personal and then safely releasing back to it's underwater world... definitely magical.

Thanks for asking me to share my photos of the magic.

#76 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:49 AM

Mr. fish and other carpers will tell you that when summertime sets in and water temps consistently remain in the upper 70's to low 80's then as far as catching carp is concerned… "nighttime is the right time."

My problem is I enjoy fishing in daylight much more than fishing in darkness for a variety of reasons. For my session this morning I decided to head back to one of my favorite local spots. I pre-baited yesterday late morning on my way home from my New Jersey expedition. The tide was right, the table was set, the weather was beautiful but the carp were non-existent. Usually there is a high degree of carp surface activity in this area, but today it was eerily quiet. In five hours of water watching I observed two carp break the surface far from the breakfast table I had prepared for my bronze beauties. It would not be unusual under average conditions to see 40-50 carp break the surface in a five hour span. I believe they were frolicking and feeding last night and slept in this morning.

I did manage to catch two dink bass and one of them shared another theory about the absence of my local carp friends. He mentioned that rumor had it that I had been cheating on my local Tidal Titans with some of their New Jersey cousins. Word has it that they totally snubbed me this morning to teach me a lesson. Lesson learned.

Mike… I'm glad you didn't waste your time.

#77 mr.fish

mr.fish

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 663 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:14 PM

This time of year, night is the ticket George. I almost never fish daylight carp this time off year. I always find carp more active an hour before sunset on into the night. Heat waves and daytime carp=futile fishing. Maybe you'll join me for a late afternoon, night session next week. Well def catch some toothless corn eaters.

#78 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

Well, not one to be put off by a skunking, I struck out early this morning in search of fish. I decided to change my tactics a bit. I started out focusing solely on bass, snakeheads and bowfin. I tossed various artificials around for 2.5 hours at a variety of spots and ended up with two decent largemouths... both fell victim to an XRap XR8. A plethora of fish and turtle activity early this morning. The most active species happened to be gizzard shad. They were porpoising like crazy all around the impounded waterways.

When I decided to focus on carp, I moved to an area close to where I fished yesterday. I decided that since they are probably feeding heavily at night, I would limit the amount of chum I put in the water. I also mixed some bread crumbs with my chum today. I concentrated the chum in a smaller area and proceeded to wait. In three hours of carping I hooked up with three nice carp... not bad for a warm summer morning.

#79 matt

matt

knot conquistador

• Admin
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationUp the street from the knot!

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:19 AM

Got out over the weekend to my favorite tidal swim. Fished Saturday morning 6am thru noon and Sunday 5am thru noon. I dumped in around 6 gallons of fairly old, rotten bait Friday. I expected a lot of catfish as a result. When I arrived Saturday morning, the fish activity was intense - carp, catfish and other smaller species were surfacing everywhere and they were clearly on the feed. It took me a while to get my gear sorted and rods in the water since I hadn't carped in a month and was out of my groove. The action was stellar. All the fish appeared to be healthy upper teen to low twenty pound fish.

I bought some new gear this spring - new alarms, new weigh sling, a really awesome new reuben heaton dial scale, and a bunch of other junk - but I've felt cursed carrying around all this new gear lacking fishy mojo. I've suffered some harsh blanks since the purchases. Saturday I felt like the curse was lifted and I was really hoping for at least a mid 20s fish worth weighing. Any more, I usually don't even bother netting fish, opting just to remove the hook in the water. Better for the fish, and it keeps the stank off my net.

By 10am Saturday, I had caught around 9 fish and things were slowing down a little. Next fish gave the typical bigger fish fight. Slow back and forth. Got a glimpse of it and it appeared pretty fat and net and scale worthy. I was stocked when it weighed in a little over 27lbs. Biggest carp I've caught in a while and it seemed appropriate to photograph.

Taking pictures when fishing solo usually requires a little planning and a self-timer. I usually use my iPhone because I had some cool self-timer apps. I recently made a little iPhone tri-pod and got a new camera app Camerasharp which allows you to take a photo on 3 second timer by whistling - perfect for getting good photos.

Everything was set up perfect. I'm whistling away snapping photos. I release the fish, then get my rod back in the water. I sat down and went to glimpse at photos of my capture, only to discover I blew it. Little did I know, somehow the camera setting was on face-time and I instead took pictures of the bushes I was looking at while posing with my fish. Instead of gear, I was cursed by a new app.

I caught a few more fish Saturday, then headed home when the tide started to bottom out. Put in a few more gallons of bait for a Sunday return.

Went back Sunday, and there was almost no surface activity. I knew the post-front conditions would not be ideal, even though it was lovely for me. I only managed 3 fish Sunday, all about the same size.

One big surprise this weekend was the fact that I only caught one channel cat. I almost always catch a bunch of them at this spot. Another satisfying thing was an idea Louis shared with me - using a slip float above my lead to keep my line off the bottom and away from snags. It worked beautifully. I usually loose a few rigs and fish at this spot, and I only lost one rig/fish to snags the entire weekend. In the future, I would use a bigger float than the one in the photo below, maybe something twice as big (but that was all I had).

Hopefully this is just the beginning of a stellar fall to come.

The fish below was the biggest from Sunday. It weighed in a little over 20lbs.
Posted Image

The slip float above my standard carp rig.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users