Photo

Just wanted to say hello to the community!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tmas6610

Tmas6610

PAC Lurker

• Registered Guest
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:59 PM

Hey everybody! My name is Ty, and I go to college outside of the Philadelphia area and I have a few questions pertaining to trout/bass fishing, if anyone would be kind enough to answer them.

Thanks!

Ty

#2 flyers1kak

flyers1kak

PAC Regular

• Registered Guest
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:25 PM

Hey everybody! My name is Ty, and I go to college outside of the Philadelphia area and I have a few questions pertaining to trout/bass fishing, if anyone would be kind enough to answer them.

Thanks!

Ty

Hey Ty, welcome. What school? You will soon find out there are a lot of guys on here that will be happy to answer any questions you have B)

#3 Tmas6610

Tmas6610

PAC Lurker

• Registered Guest
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:38 PM

Arcadia University! Ah, that's awesome. I am a big saltwater guy back home, and just wanted to know if there is any good spots for trout/bass fishing in close proximity. :D

#4 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:20 AM

The wissahickion is not to far from arcadia if i am not mistaken, welcome!
Itching for some fishing.

#5 Doc Watson

Doc Watson

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

Welcome Ty. :)

Arcadia (formerly known as Beaver College) is close to the Wissahickon Creek (begins just north of Ambler), Skippack Creek (just up 73 about 5-7 miles), Perkiomen Creek (just a few miles further up 73) and, of course, the Big D and the Skuke are both closeby. Loch Alsh Reservior is just off the Susquehanna Rd. exit of 309.

All hold good fish populations of the species you are interested in targeting.

#6 Tmas6610

Tmas6610

PAC Lurker

• Registered Guest
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

Thanks everybody, I really do appreciate this! I looked up the prices for a fishing license in Pa for non-residents, and I read that it costs roughly $52 for a full year license and a two day is $26, not including a trout stamp. Are these prices accurate?

#7 Doc Watson

Doc Watson

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

You bet. They value their trout stocking program in PA. :blink: I'm from Jersey and do most of my fishing in PA waters, so I bite the bullet every year. I do not get a trout stamp because I don't target them and simply don't fish the waters they stock until after the early spring. I mostly do wet wading in the smaller creeks and the water is too cold before the end of May or early June for that.

#8 Tmas6610

Tmas6610

PAC Lurker

• Registered Guest
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

[quote name='Doc Watson' timestamp='1334077525' post='44125']
You bet. They value their trout stocking program in PA. :blink: I'm from Jersey and do most of my fishing in PA waters, so I bite the bullet every year. I do not get a trout stamp because I don't target them and simply don't fish the waters they stock until after the early spring. I mostly do wet wading in the smaller creeks and the water is too cold before the end of May or early June for that.
[/quote

Those prices are absurd. I am from New Jersey and I just picked up my license. Looks like ill be heading over there to do my freshwater fishing, unfortunately. I know for NJ it is only $9 for a two day non-resident! It is bad enough that fishing is an expensive hobby.

#9 Doc Watson

Doc Watson

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:23 AM

Your Jersey license allows you to fish both banks of the Delaware, so you can still fish the PA side and save the bridge toll. ;)

I didn't really mention the Big D, but there's some good fishing to be had in the NE Philly/Neshaminy area and above Yardley. River access above that is spotty, but still available. There are some parks on the Jersey side up there that give you better access.

Good luck. :)

#10 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

Hi Ty,
You might save money in the long run on gas if you fish locally. Also, with a PA license you are much more likely to mert up with some of the awesome people from this forum ;)

The Wiss is an awesome little stream and you can catch trout there into the summer. It's actually one of my favorites in the area.

A lot of the best holes are less travelled than they used to be because they built a bike trail that sways away from the creek in some stretches. As a redult the footpath is grown in and many people won't go to the effort of wading through weeds to get to the creek in those areas.

#11 CarloFunk

CarloFunk

PAC Lurker

• Registered Guest
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCinnaminson, NJ

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

Sup Ty? I finally made it on here.

louis is right the Wiss is awesome, I saw a guy pull out a few trout just like 10 days ago (brown and rainbow, I think)...IDK about that license cost issue though. Id be willing to come up your way soon, as I will have my PA residency soon. Theres quite a few places within a short drive of you I think

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users