6 replies to this topic

#1 Mike P

Mike P

PAC Lurker

• Club Member - Expired
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

I am looking into getting a pair of waders. I have read a bunch of stuff online and have come to the conclusion that neoprene is the best material. What do you guys like to use? Also, bootfoot or stockingfoot? Thanks!

#2 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

i have regular field and stream neoprene stocking foot and they do the job for me, they are only about 60 bucks too. Just throw a pair of boots over them and you are good to go, they keep you warm in the winter also.
Itching for some fishing.

#3 matt

matt

knot conquistador

• Admin
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationUp the street from the knot!

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

I've used breathables waders all four seasons for quite some time with comfortable results in both warm south philly swamp ponds and nearly frozen erie streams. Just need to layer appropriately. I like the lightness and comfort of breathables. I have had numerous pairs get small holes, although they are an easy fix. If you do get breathables, get a good pair with reinforced seams, butt, and knee/shins. I like the cabelas pair I have now. You also have comfortable boot options with stocking foot breathables.

#4 Nick with a K

Nick with a K

Sir

• Charter Member
  • 733 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:09 AM

A lot of guys prefer boot foot on the beach, because they don't fill up with sand.

#5 Illadelphia

Illadelphia

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 47 posts
  • LocationRight in the middle of it

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:51 PM

I went through this same issue about a year ago with waders.
It's hard to determine what to get with so many options out there.
I initally went to AMAZON and purchased a pair of $100 reddington breathable stocking foots and they leaked around the seams within the first few minutes of having them in the water. I also purchased a set of frog toggs hellbender felt sole wading boots with them and one of the eyelets failed upon lacing. Amazon refunded me and return shipping was easy and painless.
I highly recommend that you purchase from places with good customer service like AMAZON, Orvis, and REI. REI has the option for customers to return goods within a year, used or new. No hassles.
I eventually purchased a set of stocking foot Orvis Silver Sonics with Orvis felt sole boots from Orvis. Although the complete set cost about $400-$450 it's been well worth it. I put a beating on those waders and they haven't leaked a single drop. The only thing I would change is adding some cleats onto the felt soles or maybe even getting rubber soles all together. I've definitely taken a couple of falls on muddy slopes and ice with the felt but my buddies with rubber were just fine. Also Orvis customer service is spectacular! My first pair leaked and they sent me a new pair before I even shipped the old ones back.

Definitely one of those you get what you pay for kind of deals

#6 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:20 AM

I have had neoprenes with built in boots for years and they have been good. But I always struggled in fast water with korkers tied/taped on. Last year I got a pair of the new devils canyon boots from Korkers and they are fucking boss. Worthe the dough. I'm looking for a good pair of breathables to match them. I plan on winding up WG with a whole meat-sticker fly rod outfit by the time we hit the DSR in September. :P

#7 Illadelphia

Illadelphia

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 47 posts
  • LocationRight in the middle of it

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:16 AM

I have had neoprenes with built in boots for years and they have been good. But I always struggled in fast water with korkers tied/taped on. Last year I got a pair of the new devils canyon boots from Korkers and they are fucking boss. Worthe the dough. I'm looking for a good pair of breathables to match them. I plan on winding up WG with a whole meat-sticker fly rod outfit by the time we hit the DSR in September. :P

If you don't mind spending the money, Simms, Orvis, Patagonia. Those would be my top three companies to look for breathables. Only thing is that they're going to average around $500 a pair BUT, they're worth every freaking penny. Especially with the zipper front goretex that Simms have, a God send when you had a bit too much coffee and you're thigh deep in the middle of a creek!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users