5 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Flar

Joe Flar

PAC Lurker

• Registered Guest
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

I've been trying for 10 straight days to get my first carp of the season, I've lost 6 or 7 already for varying reasons. I'm getting quite frustrated by the lack of success I've been having on corn, it seems like carp fishing is just a lot easier with cornmeal. Can anyone give me a proven cornmeal recipe? I've googled this countless times but don't know who to trust, so I figured I'd turn to the Philly experts for some tips :)

#2 Tom

Tom

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

I've been trying for 10 straight days to get my first carp of the season, I've lost 6 or 7 already for varying reasons. I'm getting quite frustrated by the lack of success I've been having on corn, it seems like carp fishing is just a lot easier with cornmeal. Can anyone give me a proven cornmeal recipe? I've googled this countless times but don't know who to trust, so I figured I'd turn to the Philly experts for some tips :)

I am no carp exert but have caught my share. I like to keep things simple....I fish straight sweet corn, under a float or on a slip weight. I try to pre bait an area with some as well before I fish a spot. I also use small hooks (size 12-16).

#3 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

Corn is an excellent bait for carp. What type of venue are you fishing? If it is bigger water with bigger fish I would definitely recommend using a hair rig. Check out the Carp section of the Forum.

For smaller waters I would utilize Tom's suggestion.

Why do you say carp fishing is easier with cornmeal? Toughest part of using corn is opening the can.

#4 springgardener

springgardener

PAC Lurker

• Club Member - Expired
  • Pip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

Corn is an excellent bait for carp. What type of venue are you fishing? If it is bigger water with bigger fish I would definitely recommend using a hair rig. Check out the Carp section of the Forum.

For smaller waters I would utilize Tom's suggestion.

Why do you say carp fishing is easier with cornmeal? Toughest part of using corn is opening the can.

I noticed that some corn cans now come with that little tab that you can pull to open them. Its nice, no need to bring a can opener any more... even easier!

#5 Doc Watson

Doc Watson

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:23 AM

If you're getting them on the hook, then the bait is fine. The bait will not cause you to "lose" fish. Just keep at it and you will bring one to hand before too long. We call it fishing and not catching for a reason. ;)

#6 matt

matt

knot conquistador

• Admin
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationUp the street from the knot!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

What kind of gear are you using? What does your end tackle and rig look like? If you are hooking and loosing fish, I would guess it could be your rig configuration or the hook.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users