11 replies to this topic

#1 springgardener

springgardener

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 97 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

I was up in PA north of Scranton this past weekend, staying at my buddies for a good solid weekend of partying with some fishing mixed in. The weather was great for the most part, though rain did move in Saturday afternoon.

So I woke up just after 7am on Friday morning, my first vacation day of the year. Im a bit foggy but I had already gotten my rods tied up and I was ready to go. I drank some gatorade and grabbed some water and headed for the lake.

I started throwing a topwater as soon as I reached the water's edge, but no hits. There were some sunnies swimming around. I kept moving about halfway around the lake, and put some things down. I setup a cat rod trying for one of the big channel cats in there.. Then I kept walking and cast into the far corner with my skitterpop. After a pause, I started doing a pretty steady splashy and poppy retrieve. Then I saw the huge commotion/swirl, and realized a big fish just missed my lure. I popped it again, and again, wham!!! I set the hook, and the beast was on.

I had 6 lb test on a lite action rod. I did not want to have too much pressure on the fish and a big flop or run could snap the line. After him swimming back and forth a bit, I knew I was going to have to get into the lake to land him, as there was some algae slime on the surface in front of me, and I couldnt afford that extra weight on my line. I put my right foot down, and felt the cool water seep to my toes. I reached down and lipped him, and at that moment, the line snapped! But I had a good grip, and I pulled him out, and I had my new PB. 4.34 LMB, over 20 inches long, caught on a brown frog colored Rapala Skitterpop. You can barely see the lure in the first pic, as it was almost completely taken in by the fish.

I did not catch any more big bass, and only 1 more dink bass, and some nice sunnies. But the one fish was all I needed. I never did make it to the Susquehanna though. Maybe next time.

Hopefully, in a year, this fish will be 5 lbs B)

IMAG0547.jpg
a glorious morning for sure

IMAG0548.jpg
another view of the beast

IMAG0549.jpg
obligatory barely executed self-shot

IMAG0550.jpg
side view

IMAG0551.jpg
poorly executed ruler shot

IMAG0552.jpg
barely executed scale shot

IMAG0555.jpg
a pic of the lake

#2 flyers1kak

flyers1kak

PAC Regular

• Registered Guest
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

nice! i always remember the fish i have to go in after

#3 GC

GC

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

One like that is enough... well done!

#4 Bart Gelesh

Bart Gelesh

PAC Regular

• Registered Guest
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

Nice bass....and on a topwater to boot! Looks like a nice place to fish too. Doesn't get much better than that. :D
coming soon, www.bartgelesh.com

#5 Mike P

Mike P

PAC Lurker

• Club Member - Expired
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:54 AM

Nice bass! You know it's a good fish when you only need one to be satisfied.

#6 matt

matt

knot conquistador

• Admin
  • 1,897 posts
  • LocationUp the street from the knot!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:16 AM

Nice bucket mouth! Congrats.

#7 springgardener

springgardener

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 97 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

Well, I went back to the same location last weekend, and ended poking 4 nice bass.  Funny thing, I caught my PB from last year again this year, and 1 year to the day!  Again, a new PB!   I confirmed the recapture by comparing the photos from last year to the photos from this year.  The black scales on the lateral portion give it away.  The best fish went 2, 2.5, 3.7, and the recapture came in at 4.87, meaning it gained just over half a pound in one full year. 

2.5 on minnow jerkbait - so short to be that weight, but so fat with eggs I assume.

IMAG0176.jpg

2.0 on panfish magnet under a float - the splash from the float gets attention, and then they see the magnet!

IMAG0178.jpg

3.7 on minnow jerkbait

100926.jpg

4.87 on minnow jerkbait - this beast took drag and was pissed!

2013-04-20 17.12.34.jpg

2013-04-20 17.12.48.jpg

2013-04-20 17.14.38.jpg

2013-04-20 17.14.55.jpg

That last pic can be compared the pics from last year to see the matching scales :-)

#8 matt

matt

knot conquistador

• Admin
  • 1,897 posts
  • LocationUp the street from the knot!

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

Nice!

#9 GC

GC

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

I always enjoy recaptures. An extremely healthy looking specimen. Well done!

#10 flyers1kak

flyers1kak

PAC Regular

• Registered Guest
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:10 PM

wow nice, those are some healthy lookin bass 

#11 Tom

Tom

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

Beautful pics! Nice looking piece of water too!

#12 CO

CO

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

Nice fish. I was up my place this weekend off 6 and did well with largemouth too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users