#1 Mark Whitehouse

Mark Whitehouse

PAC Lurker

• Registered Guest
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

Hi All

Just moved from the UK to US last year and I'm loving here. My 12 year old son really enjoyed his fishing in the UK and especially Carp! We were never into specimen hunting but loved catching carp in the 8-15 pounds range.
We currently live in Southern Chester county not too far from Kennett Square on Route 1.

I wondered if anyone would be so kind in giving some recommendations on where we may be able to contact some carp not too far from us. I've tried on another forum and didn't get a response, I'm hoping that you guys will be more helpful!

I may be able to return a favour by getting carp tackle etc sent over from the UK.

Cheers
Mark

#2 Tom

Tom

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:57 AM

Hi Mark,

Welcome! Considering where you live I can recommend two places. One is Octoraro lake, right on Rt. 472 just a couple of miles west of Kennet. The riprap area of the bridge on route 472 is a great carping location. Good numbers of carp in the smaller range, maybe to 10 lbs or so.

If you want to try moving water, keep heading west on route 1 until you cross the big dam, called conowingo. Below the dam are plenty of carp and some big ones. You will need a Maryland Tidal fishing lisence to fish there, which is $20.00 or so.

#3 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

Hi Mark,

Tom has given you good advice. I've never personally fished Conowingo Dam area for carp, but I've visited the dam a few times while fishing for shad and can second Tom's claim of plenty of carp and some BIG ones too. Can't really provide you with any other spots in your area since I live right next door to Philadelphia and fish the local Philly waters.

Good luck in your pursuit of some USA carp.

George

#4 Mark Whitehouse

Mark Whitehouse

PAC Lurker

• Registered Guest
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:01 PM

Hi Tom & George

That's great many thanks for the advice. We've fished Octorara but not from the bank so we'll give that a go. We will definitely have a go at Conowingo as well. I fancy trying the Susquehanna but wouldn't know where to start!

George what breed of dog is it in your avatar? I used to have a Glen of Imaal terrier that was the image of that!

Thanks guys.

Cheers Mark

#5 mr.fish

mr.fish

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 663 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

Samo with location. Never carp fished down that area, so I couldn't really help with a location direction. However, Im sure whatever which way or location Tom has pointed you will work out for ya. Good luck carping in the future. Lets us know how you make out.

#6 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

Hi Tom & George

That's great many thanks for the advice. We've fished Octorara but not from the bank so we'll give that a go. We will definitely have a go at Conowingo as well. I fancy trying the Susquehanna but wouldn't know where to start!

George what breed of dog is it in your avatar? I used to have a Glen of Imaal terrier that was the image of that!

Thanks guys.

Cheers Mark

Mark... The dog in my avatar is a Cairn Terrier. He is a good fishing buddy and has spent many a session with me bankside. He is one of three dogs that are part of our family. He is the oldest, the smallest and the boss of the pack.

Conowingo is the HydroElectric dam that spans the Susquehanna. It seems like you could set up bankside anywhere near the dam depending on which gates are open and how much water they are releasing. It is definitely worth a trip down there just to check it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users