• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 GC

GC

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:27 PM

WIth the recent buzz during the last couple of months concerning snakeheads I have decided I would like to attempt to catch one. I am looking for some guidance as to what would be the best type of tackle and tactics to use.

I am planning on using a St. Croix Premier Medium Fast 7 foot rod and a Shimano Stradic reel.

Is that a proper choice of rod?

Mainline?

Leader… length and material?

Lures?

Time of day or tidal influence?

Will summer months produce any fish?

Handling the toothy fish IF I catch one? (I'm only used to handling toothless corn eaters and filter feeders.)

I have more free time coming up soon and would like to give it a go. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 Tom

Tom

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:17 PM

I too am interested in trying to catch one. I think the main equipment you list George shoud be sufficient. From what I hear Bass type of stuff is what to use. I think topwaters and spinnerbaits are effective, from what i hear.

#3 matt

matt

knot conquistador

• Admin
  • 1,867 posts
  • LocationUp the street from the knot!

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:46 PM

GC - your gear sounds perfect. Braid and flouro leader is spot on.

Snakeheads like mud bottoms, and proximity to vegetative growth.

Chatter baits in 1/8, 1/4 and 3/8 ounce are awesome for slightly weedy to more open water. Top water frogs for pad and weed fishing. Fast worked weedless soft plastic creature baits are good too. Finally, inline and standard spinner baits work too.

I'd be happy to go snake heading with you some weekend. Early morning post spawn in later June - early July can be good.

#4 Mike P

Mike P

PAC Lurker

• Club Member - Expired
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:29 AM

I hope this helps, George.

http://animal.discov...-snakehead.html

Try to watch the whole episode if you get a chance.

#5 GC

GC

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

Thanks Tom, Matt and Mike for the info feedback thus far.

Matt... You and Louis are responsible for starting my fishing obsession by introducing me to the wonderful world of carp. I would really enjoy going snakeheading whenever you have time available. I found it greatly flattens my learning curve when I get to see someone in action who has experience with a specific species.

Mike P... Thanks for the link to the Snakehead episode... I will watch the episode in it's entirety when I get the opportunity.

I have VERY VERY VERY limited experience angling with lures. I've thrown around a trout magnet and had limited experience with spinner baits. When you suggest a lure if you could please specificy exactly what type you would recommend I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again for the advice.

#6 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 785 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:54 AM

Anything that moves aggressively or shiny should definitely get their attention. i would go with a bigger mepps aglias spinner, buzz baits, and scum frogs.
Itching for some fishing.

#7 Tom

Tom

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:30 AM

George, when the timing is right (later in June and early July) I would be happy to meet up with you and target them. I have an abundance of the lures suggested here that you would be more than welcome to use, so you wouldn't have to go buy a bunch that you are not sure you will ultimately like. I am 95% a lure fisherman...have been since I was in my teens, so I could probably help with the cureve you mentioned too ;)

#8 mr.fish

mr.fish

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 642 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

Matt and I found the spot for them, now it's just timing. That area we found will def. need some heavier tackle to lift them from the vegetation. That vegetation is thick which will require a heavier end baitcastors with 60lb braid or better. You want to be able to horse those fish in when they strike. Spinning outfits ain't going to cut it in pads. I may head out Saturday for them if your around Matt.

#9 GC

GC

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:57 AM

George, when the timing is right (later in June and early July) I would be happy to meet up with you and target them. I have an abundance of the lures suggested here that you would be more than welcome to use, so you wouldn't have to go buy a bunch that you are not sure you will ultimately like. I am 95% a lure fisherman...have been since I was in my teens, so I could probably help with the cureve you mentioned too ;)

Tom... I'll take you up on that... I'm flexible, so just let me know what works for you. I need a lot of guidance when it comes to lures. I am overwhelmed when I go to Dick's and look at the selection. Looking forward to doing a session late June/early July. It will definitely keep me from wasting money on lures I probably won't use.

Thanks,
George

#10 GC

GC

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

Matt and I found the spot for them, now it's just timing. That area we found will def. need some heavier tackle to lift them from the vegetation. That vegetation is thick which will require a heavier end baitcastors with 60lb braid or better. You want to be able to horse those fish in when they strike. Spinning outfits ain't going to cut it in pads. I may head out Saturday for them if your around Matt.

Michael, I have a couple of stout casting rods and a baitcasting reel spooled with 80 pound braid that I've seldom used. Problem is I'm a newbie with the baitcaster... the only way I can get better is to use it. If you want some inexperienced company on Saturday, let me know.

#11 matt

matt

knot conquistador

• Admin
  • 1,867 posts
  • LocationUp the street from the knot!

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

Yes, we found one of likely many places in NJ that are becoming increasingly infested with snakeheads. They are clearly here to stay. For the weedy/paddy areas, heavier braid and a thicker flouro leader will definitely help get them to the bank.

Maybe we can organize a little snakehead get-together in the near future. FDR has definitely been pillaged, but they are still in there. Its actually a pretty nice place to fish early morning when the gates open at 6am and no one is there. The bucket brigade and hand-liners tend to sleep in.

Mike - I am not free this Saturday, unfortunately! It doesn't look like there will be much fishing going on for me this weekend. But, we should plan a canoe session there some day soon to really explore that place.

#12 Tom

Tom

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:49 PM

Yes, we found one of likely many places in NJ that are becoming increasingly infested with snakeheads. They are clearly here to stay. For the weedy/paddy areas, heavier braid and a thicker flouro leader will definitely help get them to the bank.

Maybe we can organize a little snakehead get-together in the near future. FDR has definitely been pillaged, but they are still in there. Its actually a pretty nice place to fish early morning when the gates open at 6am and no one is there. The bucket brigade and hand-liners tend to sleep in.

Mike - I am not free this Saturday, unfortunately! It doesn't look like there will be much fishing going on for me this weekend. But, we should plan a canoe session there some day soon to really explore that place.

Great idea...I am in! The place I am thinking of is also in NJ. The out of state lisence fee is a bit painful for a year ...$34 annual but they also have a 2 day option for $9.00, which is probably what I will do.

#13 Deftik

Deftik

1337 oU7 of 7oWN3r

• Charter Member - Expired
  • PipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:27 PM

I'd be down, I'm probably going to explore south jersey for snakeheads early June anyway, if I unearth any good spots I'll let everyone know.
Fishing is 24/7 365

#14 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 785 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:44 PM

I am smelling a possible PAC get together in the near future
Itching for some fishing.

#15 Deftik

Deftik

1337 oU7 of 7oWN3r

• Charter Member - Expired
  • PipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:22 PM

I am smelling a possible PAC get together in the near future

Shhhhhh don't say the "get together" word lest you'll doom us to failure! That's a bad word here! Instead we'll call it PAC members fishing in a close radius LOL
Fishing is 24/7 365

#16 Tom

Tom

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:19 PM

Shhhhhh don't say the "get together" word lest you'll doom us to failure! That's a bad word here! Instead we'll call it PAC members fishing in a close radius LOL

Yes - that ;)

#17 The Don

The Don

FISH HARD

• Charter Member
  • 2,560 posts
  • LocationPhila,pa

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:03 PM

Yes - that ;)

Rodger that!
Throw your lure in the water and put the puzzle together..

#18 mr.fish

mr.fish

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 642 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:11 AM

George, I'm game for Saturday if you are. Personal message me your number if you want, and I could give you some pointers on tackle if you need help.

#19 kozmicblues

kozmicblues

PAC Regular

• Registered Guest
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:07 AM

Don't forget
Saturday and Sunday, June 16 and 17, will be New Jersey's Free Fishing Days in 2012
Best value in NJ fresh water fishing.

#20 Mike P

Mike P

PAC Lurker

• Club Member - Expired
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

Don't forget
Saturday and Sunday, June 16 and 17, will be New Jersey's Free Fishing Days in 2012
Best value in NJ fresh water fishing.

Nice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users