7 replies to this topic

#1 GC

GC

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:35 PM

Has anyone used the ARC DEHOOKER tool?

I have fished almost exclusively for carp and shad and am going to broaden my horizons this summer as I attempt to become proficient utilizing different lures in pursuit of the Northern Snakehead.

As I delve into the realm of multi-species fishing I am concerned with the proper handling of fish post capture. I have already made Aki's deep dehooking tool for weedless frogs, but I am concerned about the other types of fish I will encounter.

Does anyone have any experience with this tool or possibly recommend another?

Thanks for any feedback regarding the proper handling and release of fish I may encounter in our local waters.

#2 Aki

Aki

Fish 300+ days a year!

• Charter Member
  • 1,847 posts
  • LocationTokyo Bay

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:24 PM

I have used similar tool for trout fishing. It works great when you use single barbless hook on small spoon type lure. You can release fish without touching the fish, so that the fish can go back to water with minimum damage. But it works on single hook and small fish only. I guess it works great on small shad and herring caught on flutter spoon, but not on snakehead.

Boga grip and long nose plier with spilt ring opener usually works well on all kinds of game fish. :)
Always thinking of fishing around Philly....

#3 GC

GC

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:05 AM

I have used similar tool for trout fishing. It works great when you use single barbless hook on small spoon type lure. You can release fish without touching the fish, so that the fish can go back to water with minimum damage. But it works on single hook and small fish only. I guess it works great on small shad and herring caught on flutter spoon, but not on snakehead.

Boga grip and long nose plier with spilt ring opener usually works well on all kinds of game fish. :)

Thanks again Aki.

#4 dano

dano

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

i have one of these but dont use it very often. i won it some kind of basket prize at a CCA fund raiser. when i have used it, it seemed to work pretty good. especially good for releasing fish in the water without making contact with the fish. and i know the tiny ones or similar products are great for handling baitfish caught on sabikis. no touch, just flip into the livewell. makes for better bait that way.
Join CCA!
http://joincca.org/
http://ccamd.org/

#5 mr.fish

mr.fish

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 646 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:25 AM

Don't be paranoid George. That snakehead hooking deep was 1 in a million. In all my experience of using artificials you will almost never have a problem deep hooking fish except for largemouth. Even then there mouths usually open wide enough for hook removal. A fish that has a hook deep in his gut should just be cut off and released with as much of the lure removed as possible anyway. I don't think a tool would make much of a difference. A good pair of needle nose pliers, and some dykes will suit you fine in your upcoming adventures with artificial bait fishing. Within a years time, you'll should have a good hook set down where you'll almost never worry about such problems.

#6 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 828 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

Yeah i got a bass yesterday on a scum frog (as i posted on bass fishing everyday) wasnt even hooked deep at all but just got hooked in the wrong spot and didnt make it, that will happen yere and there too espicially with topwater bass, they inhale everythig.
Itching for some fishing.

#7 GC

GC

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:57 PM

Don't be paranoid George. That snakehead hooking deep was 1 in a million. In all my experience of using artificials you will almost never have a problem deep hooking fish except for largemouth. Even then there mouths usually open wide enough for hook removal. A fish that has a hook deep in his gut should just be cut off and released with as much of the lure removed as possible anyway. I don't think a tool would make much of a difference. A good pair of needle nose pliers, and some dykes will suit you fine in your upcoming adventures with artificial bait fishing. Within a years time, you'll should have a good hook set down where you'll almost never worry about such problems.

Mike, you are reading me like a book. I am paranoid. One of the reasons I like carps so much is that you never deep hook them. I love fishing but I truly hate harming a fish. I value your advice, so I guess I'll just take a deep breath and try to relax.

#8 Deftik

Deftik

1337 oU7 of 7oWN3r

• Charter Member - Expired
  • PipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:49 PM

Unfortunately george it happens, no matter how good you are, how many barbless hooks you use, you will eventually cause a fish fatality. The best course of action provided the fish is in season is to pay it tribute and feed it to yourself or others . Oh and stay away from treble hooks, they cause more damage than necessary.
Fishing is 24/7 365

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users