• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 817 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:36 AM

Found this trying to research some of my fishing holes, could definitely be used as a tool for fishing, and is just really cool to browse around on, i could spend hours on this thing. Though i would share. Its like google maps, but you can go back to a 1940 aerial view and other years from now to the present.

http://www.historicaerials.com/
Itching for some fishing.

#2 GC

GC

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

Thanks for sharing.

#3 Doc Watson

Doc Watson

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:21 AM

Interesting site. Thanks for sharing. The details are not even close to what we have today, but for general, historical info this is great. I checked the neighborhood I grew up in and found an image from 1958 of my high school (Cheltenham) under construction. I have many memories of that time and the construction. Cool to see how undeveloped the area was back then.

Attached Thumbnails

• CHS Under Construction 1958.JPG

#4 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 817 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:43 PM

Yeah i thought you guys would like it, There used to be a little canal that connected the tidal skuke with the non tidal if you look back in the earliest years, pretty cool, wonder why they took it apart.
Itching for some fishing.

#5 Doc Watson

Doc Watson

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:17 AM

Yeah i thought you guys would like it, There used to be a little canal that connected the tidal skuke with the non tidal if you look back in the earliest years, pretty cool, wonder why they took it apart.

That canal (& locks) were torn up in the 50's to build the Drive & Expressway as they were no longer needed to move commercial traffic up and down the river. From here.....

"The canal locks on the west bank of the river were destroyed in the 1950s with the construction of the West River Drive and the Schuylkill Expressway. However, a remnant of the wall of the guard lock remains as part of the fish ladder constructed at the site in c.1980.

#6 GC

GC

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

That canal (& locks) were torn up in the 50's to build the Drive & Expressway as they were no longer needed to move commercial traffic up and down the river. From here.....

"The canal locks on the west bank of the river were destroyed in the 1950s with the construction of the West River Drive and the Schuylkill Expressway. However, a remnant of the wall of the guard lock remains as part of the fish ladder constructed at the site in c.1980.

Thanks for the info Doc. I find it very cool that the WALL is a remnant of the original guard lock.

#7 Doc Watson

Doc Watson

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

Thanks for the info Doc. I find it very cool that the WALL is a remnant of the original guard lock.

I thought that was an interesting bit of info too.

Wonder if they got a tax break for restoring a "historic" structure when they built the ladder ?? :unsure: :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users