10 replies to this topic

#1 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 120 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:02 PM

Hi everybody. I spent the last 6 months or so working on an iPhone app for fishing. It's called Big Carp, but it's really for any species fishing. It allows you to record your fishing sessions as a timeline with as much or as little detail as you prefer- Catches, any photos, notes- and the weather is downloaded automatically whenever you catch a fish. The session timelines can be sorted by venue, total fish, total trophy fish, total weight, total sessions etc. You can add your own gear, including photos and use apply those listings to fish you catch; you can even add bigger gear like tents and boats to a session if you like. I use some other apps for things like solunar tables and depth maps. Maybe you do too. You can take screenshots in those apps and add them to your session timelines, effectively combining all of your data in one place. I even take screen shots of the USGS streamflow data and add it to my sessions so I can start to track how things like water temp and dissolved O2 affect my fishing. It's really pretty awesome, and there is nothing else like it on the market.

Check it out:

http://itunes.apple....70865?mt=8&ls=1

#2 Nick with a K

Nick with a K

Sir

• Charter Member - Expired
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:24 PM

Looks cool. Any plans for an android version?

#3 flyers1kak

flyers1kak

PAC Regular

• Registered Guest
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:40 PM

awesome. i designed an iphone app for my penn state campus and it is a ridiculous amount of work, downloading now!

#4 flyers1kak

flyers1kak

PAC Regular

• Registered Guest
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:52 PM

wow. i like how it saves all of your data to use for future catches, just gets easier and easier, very impressive

#5 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 120 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

wow. i like how it saves all of your data to use for future catches, just gets easier and easier, very impressive

Thanks,
A lot of the app is semi-hidden to make using it fun according to human factor and game theory strategies. It can seem hard at first, but once you figure out a new feature, it's second nature. :)

If you'd share this with some people it would be much appreciated. Sales have not been so hot yet. It's expensive, but it does a million things so it was expensive to produce. It's tough convincing people to shell out before they have seen it or it's been recommended by a trusted friend.

#6 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 120 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:46 PM

Looks cool. Any plans for an android version?

There are. In fact the programmer has all he needs already and it could happen in just a month or two. But I don't have the money to pay him. If anyone was interested in investing $5 grand, I'd consider cutting them in. At the moment, I can't afford an android version until this version pays for itself then some.

#7 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 120 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:47 PM

Here's some screenshots and video of the app in action:

Posted Image

You can save screen shots from other apps and use them all in one place in Big Carp.

When I first show up to the water, I open big carp, start a new session and add a a note about the conditions and other observations to my session timeline, then a few screenshots from other apps. -Usually a screenshot of my location from navionics, a screenshot of a solunar table from the"fishing calendar" app, and a screenshot of several water data charts from the USGS web site like temperature, tide, dissolved O2, and turbidity.

Weather conditions like wind speed and direction, cloud cover and barometric pressure are added to your timeline automatically at the start of a new session, hourly if you have the app open, and after each fish you add.

Posted Image

I used to have a hard time deciding if any of this stuff really mattered in my sessions. Temperature is an easy one to track, and tide isn't bad, but the rest was just too much of a pain to write down and manage, especially when you start to cross reference them and factor in time of year. Now I can look back to old sessions where I did well or not and glean useable information pretty easily.

Posted Image

You can also add listings for your own gear with photos and notes and apply those listings to session timelines so you remember what you used that time, and you can also apply gear to fish you catch. There's default gear groups like rods and bait, but you can add anything you want from big stuff like boats and RV's down to hooks and weights if you are into it. You can use the gear section for tackle management all kinds of ways. For example, David added the date when he last changed the line on his reels, so he knows old it is.

You can view all of your fish in one list as well, and sort them all kinds of ways, like by species, size, and whether or not you labeled them a trophy. So, you can add all of your favorite old catches and find them quickly to show them off. Previously I always looked mine up on facebook, but that was slow and irritating.

Posted Image

When you enter a fish you can add your rod, rig,

You can actually create a whole gallery of photos for one fish if you want. I fish for carp most of the time (although I really am a solid multi-species guy and run a multi-species club) and it's pretty awesome to be able to have a photo for each side of a mirror carp saved in one single listing. There's a lot of fish I catch that I want a few photos of handy too, like the 45 lb striper I caught last year, and the 50+ grass carp I caught my last time in Austin. ;)

Anyway, there is a lot more to it than that, but I've written enough. If you want to see more screenshots or for me to describe more features here, just ask.

Here's a link to see and read a little more:

http://bigcarpusa.com/app/ http://bigcarpusa.com/app/ />

Here is a link to an unedited screenshot video of me testing an early beta version:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150846765514147 http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150846765514147 />
The final version has better tuned graphics and more features, but I haven't had a chance to make a video.

#8 flyers1kak

flyers1kak

PAC Regular

• Registered Guest
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:49 PM

Thanks,
A lot of the app is semi-hidden to make using it fun according to human factor and game theory strategies. It can seem hard at first, but once you figure out a new feature, it's second nature. :)

If you'd share this with some people it would be much appreciated. Sales have not been so hot yet. It's expensive, but it does a million things so it was expensive to produce. It's tough convincing people to shell out before they have seen it or it's been recommended by a trusted friend.

I'm gonna catch some fish this weekend/next week and share some screenshots with bassbarn if that's ok with you

#9 flyers1kak

flyers1kak

PAC Regular

• Registered Guest
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

Thanks,

just curious, what percentage does apple take from each of your app purchases?

#10 Doc Watson

Doc Watson

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:09 AM

just curious, what percentage does apple take from each of your app purchases?

Apple gets 30% on apps sold in the AppStore.

#11 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 120 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

Apple gets 30% on apps sold in the AppStore.

And you have to pay $100 for a developer account and they also take 30% of in-app advertisements dough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users