• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 845 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:47 PM

Have been down Sea isle since yesterday evening and will be here until Friday or Saturday, ill keep posting my catches as the week goes.
Decided to mess around under a bridge yesterday evening into dark. started throwing walk the dog lures and a smack it jr. to start but didnt get a hit on either. So i tied on a 1/4oz jig head and a zoom and after a few casts i landed a spunky little schoolie, healthy fish. Jigged for another half hour before switching to a blurple bomber and got one solid swipe but no hookup, left 30 minutes later to get some sleep.

This morning i hit a lake outside of sea isle to get my dad some bass action, and to get his first fish on an artificial lure. I hooked him up with a small jointed arbogast jitterbug and he kept it on the whole time, he landed 4 fish and lost a few fish/blowups but had a great time, i landed 8 bass and lost a few also, but concentrated on hooking him up as much as possible by positioning the boat right and telling him where to cast, he got the hand of it and starting catching on his own which was pretty sweet. All fish were caught on my new Shimano Chronarch, definitly broke the ice with that reel today, i love it.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Itching for some fishing.

#2 GC

GC

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:59 PM

Chris... you're off to a good start... keep it going... nice work getting your dad onto some quality fish... keep having fun!

#3 The Don

The Don

FISH HARD

• Charter Member
  • 2,560 posts
  • LocationPhila,pa

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:12 PM

Nice B)
Throw your lure in the water and put the puzzle together..

#4 mr.fish

mr.fish

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 646 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

Chris, how do you like that reel as far as casting goes. The chronarch is on my to buy list by the fall. I'm just hoping I can find a good deal on one or I'll be waiting to the outdoor show in feb. I want another smaller baitcastor for smaller size cranks and plastics, and its a tossup between a chonatch snd a citica. Both look nice, but the citica is cheaper and I'll get what I pay for. Did u get any deal on it?

#5 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 845 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:33 PM

I got the reel for 170 somthing on ebay, and its the first baitcaster i ever tried in my life actually. I honestly love it, i can cast pretty far with it and i have the brakes set pretty strictly as i still have to get used to it, i have it spooled with 12lb mono. Everyone says the Chronarch e7 is the same as the curado e7 but the curados are hard to find in the lefty style new nowadays. I havent really put it to its full test yet but i had no problems with it today minus a few very very minor overruns that tookonly a few seconds to fix, but it was my first time ever fishing with a baitcaster. I casted very small strike king buzz baits, and a weedless ribbit frog all day. I am picky as hell when it comes to rods and reels, i find as many reviews as possible on it and havent really found anything bad, tackletour did a review on it which was excellent. As of now i would deff reccomend it.

#6 GC

GC

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

The chronarch is on my to buy list by the fall.

How many pages is your list? I can recommend a good therapist. :D

#7 mr.fish

mr.fish

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 646 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:41 AM

How many pages is your list? I can recommend a good therapist. :D

George everybody knows fishing is a disease and not a sport. Next spring a lot of my reel/rod combos are going to sale, so I can make some updates. I'm just trying to slowly transition over to nothing but baitcastors.

Thanks for the replies Chris. I will have one soon.

#8 GC

GC

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:49 AM

George everybody knows fishing is a disease and not a sport. Next spring a lot of my reel/rod combos are going to sale, so I can make some updates. I'm just trying to slowly transition over to nothing but baitcastors.

Thanks for the replies Chris. I will have one soon.

I understand Michael... just having some fun. I agree with everything you stated above... EXCEPT for the SLOWLY part.

#9 Tom

Tom

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:33 AM

Nice fish...keep the reports coming!

Mike, I hear you on the baitcasters thing. I have 3 and only have used them sparingly...need to start using them more. I just suck when it comes to throwing anything under 1/2 ounce with them.

#10 dano

dano

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

chris,

a heads up... you should be able to land a good weakie bite down there right now. do you still have your kayak? or access to a boat? find a nice spot with about 12 to 18 feet of water, with quick access to deep water and shallow water flats with a few ditches dumping into the main current (i.e., baitfish coveyor belts). i've found them on this pattern the past couple days. you can find many spots offering this scenario anywhere in the south jersey back country. i had 44 weaks up to 24" on a solo trip sunday, and 37 weaks to 22" with my dad yesterday. if you have a fish finder, use it, they will light up the bottom if they are there. and anchor up when you find the school. use a 3/4 ounce bucktail jig or plain jig with a soft plastic and a teaser with soft plastic or something flashy on a dropper loop about 18" above the jig. cast as far as you can and retrieve twitching along the bottom. cast all directions. you may need a heavier jig to cast and retrieve back up into the current. pink is a hot color. hope that helps... weakies are just a TON of fun to catch, even though you can only keep 1 per man right now. releasing is good for the fishery anyway. its great that they are around this year.

Dano
Join CCA!
http://joincca.org/
http://ccamd.org/

#11 GC

GC

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:38 AM

Dano... Good to hear the weakfish are in thick. Sounds like they are finally making a significant comeback. As always, thanks for all the specific advice.

#12 dano

dano

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

yeah george, its great to see this fishery rebounding. hopefully, it continues to improve and this year isnt just an anomoly. if these fish can survive, then we sould see some nice tiderunners in a few years. i enjoy sharing detailed advice. i know how much work it is to figure things out, and time is limited, so if i can provide some short cuts for others, and take some short cuts from others along the way, i feel i am doing my part.

chris, seriously, you need to try and find those weakies!
Join CCA!

#13 GC

GC

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:33 AM

yeah george, its great to see this fishery rebounding. hopefully, it continues to improve and this year isnt just an anomoly. if these fish can survive, then we sould see some nice tiderunners in a few years. i enjoy sharing detailed advice. i know how much work it is to figure things out, and time is limited, so if i can provide some short cuts for others, and take some short cuts from others along the way, i feel i am doing my part.

chris, seriously, you need to try and find those weakies!

You're more than doing your part... thanks again!

#14 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 845 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

Everyone is telling me about these weakfish! And like an idiot i didnt bring my kayak this time, any areas i can target them from shore like bridges and jetties? Is night time better? i never caught a weakfish before. hanks for the info Dano.

Just got back from a pontoon charter with my dad and my sisters boyfriend. he boat only had 3 keepers and i was luck enough to land 2 of them. i also won the pot for heaviest fish so awesome day, caught a bunch of sea bass, robins, dogfish, and one short fluke.

Posted Image

#15 dano

dano

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

it you can find some lights on the water (e.g., bridges, docks), you may be able to score at night by foot. or you could get a rental boat somewhere!
Join CCA!

#16 Tom

Tom

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

Dan, that is fantastic to hear! I have always had a soft spot for weakies...they are a really fun fish to catch. I hope this is a sign of things to come!!

Chris, I saw a few landed off some rocks in Cape May late last week. Around 13-15" or so. Looked like the guys catching them were using pink zooms or fin s fish. Maybe 4-5". I had none with me but was fishing for snapper blues for bait. This was in the late afternoon at the bottom of low tide.

#17 CO

CO

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:05 PM

Dan, that is fantastic to hear! I have always had a soft spot for weakies...they are a really fun fish to catch. I hope this is a sign of things to come!!

Chris, I saw a few landed off some rocks in Cape May late last week. Around 13-15" or so. Looked like the guys catching them were using pink zooms or fin s fish. Maybe 4-5". I had none with me but was fishing for snapper blues for bait. This was in the late afternoon at the bottom of low tide.

Sounds like someone was going for sharks

#18 CO

CO

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:08 PM

Everyone is telling me about these weakfish! And like an idiot i didnt bring my kayak this time, any areas i can target them from shore like bridges and jetties? Is night time better? i never caught a weakfish before. hanks for the info Dano.

Just got back from a pontoon charter with my dad and my sisters boyfriend. he boat only had 3 keepers and i was luck enough to land 2 of them. i also won the pot for heaviest fish so awesome day, caught a bunch of sea bass, robins, dogfish, and one short fluke.

Nice fish! Stay young, these are the best years of your life before work and a home take over, and I don't even have kids yet, jeesh! Summers while in school, working odd jobs for money to party, it was the best times of my life. Although early 30's aren't bad either, just not as good

#19 Lukin

Lukin

PAC Regular

• Charter Member - Expired
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

dano gave some great advice there for the weakies. You should def invest in a depth finder for that kayak.
I would get a cheap one, once you find out where the holes are you won't be needing it much. I rarely bring mine out anymore.
I was down SIC last week.
The main channel through the backbays was good
Were were drifting minnows and gulp, got a bunch of flounder, a few nice ones too.
Also sea bass, blues and weakies in the back creeks.
We fished mainly during high tide.
good luck if your still there man

#20 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 845 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:10 PM

I have a hummingbird 170 pirahhana max fish finder rigged up on it but havet used it yet! Rest of my trip was pretty dismal, destroyed spot off the surf on light tackle and fish bites, went on another charter and caught a lot of fish but no keepers, but variety. Heading home tomorrow, really wish i brought my yak.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users