20 replies to this topic

#1 matt

matt

knot conquistador

• Admin
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationUp the street from the knot!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:06 AM

Did a typical long shoobie weekend at the beach at my family's house. Hit a South Jersey inlet every morning for about 3-4 hours starting just before sun up. Every day I had pretty solid action fishing 4" chartruese gulps. Mostly short fluke, but I had a couple small blues and two small weakfish, which was cool, since I never caught one before. Nothing for the table and I didn't bother taking pictures. None the less, tough to beat decent action and nice weather. Looking forward to hitting the salt again this fall for some more futile attempts at rockfish from the sand.

#2 CO

CO

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:08 AM

Nice, can't beat lots of action which is why the surf is tough to beat this time of year.

#3 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:38 PM

Nice, i suck at saltwater fishing, did a terrible job on fluke this year, mediocre on back bay schoolies, and completely failed at catching a shark. May do some charter trips in the fall, i would love a nice bass from the sure.
Itching for some fishing.

#4 matt

matt

knot conquistador

• Admin
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:44 PM

Nice, i suck at saltwater fishing

I am still getting the hang of it too, and also generally suck at it. Things were pretty futile for me last fall, besides a few smaller bass. I am hoping this fall is better for me, now that I am getting to know a few spots better.

#5 Nick with a K

Nick with a K

Sir

• Charter Member
  • 733 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:11 AM

I am still getting the hang of it too, and also generally suck at it. Things were pretty futile for me last fall, besides a few smaller bass. I am hoping this fall is better for me, now that I am getting to know a few spots better.

If you're catching fish you're doing something right. You guys are both capable anglers, you just need a little more time out on the brine. I'm no expert, but I'd be more than happy to walk a stretch of beach with either of you and show you how to find holes and stuff. If you're looking to get into surf fishing seriously, you should consider a guide. There's a couple of world class guides that can teach you a whole lot in a few hours, and it's not nearly as expensive as chartering a boat. If you're interested, check out shore catch guide service.

#6 matt

matt

knot conquistador

• Admin
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

I fished the salt again last night and this morning. Nothing last night but the flounder bite was pretty hot this morning once the tide started coming in again. No keepers, although one was close. Lots of bait around in the inlet I fished.

#7 flyers1kak

flyers1kak

PAC Regular

• Registered Guest
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:19 PM

I fished the salt again last night and this morning. Nothing last night but the flounder bite was pretty hot this morning once the tide started coming in again. No keepers, although one was close. Lots of bait around in the inlet I fished.

spotted this guy floating out to hereford's inlet last weekend. i think a boat prop must have gotten him on the other side. 39 inches. and yes, we did take pics with it :D

Posted Image

#8 Doc Watson

Doc Watson

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:51 PM

Looks pretty fresh. Did you eat any ?? :blink: :lol:

#9 flyers1kak

flyers1kak

PAC Regular

• Registered Guest
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:15 AM

Looks pretty fresh. Did you eat any ?? :blink: :lol:

haha pass. there was a guy fishing from a dock right next to us. pretty sure we made his day doing 3 circles trying to net it as the tide was ripping :lol:

Posted Image

#10 dano

dano

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:16 AM

that would be a VERY solid back bay catch for this time of year. there a some bass like that hanging around. plenty of food for them thats for sure. live spot or croaker would be the ticket to a back bay bass like that right now, that is if the weakies dont get to the bait first. ;)
Join CCA!
http://joincca.org/
http://ccamd.org/

#11 flyers1kak

flyers1kak

PAC Regular

• Registered Guest
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:18 PM

that would be a VERY solid back bay catch for this time of year. there a some bass like that hanging around. plenty of food for them thats for sure. live spot or croaker would be the ticket to a back bay bass like that right now, that is if the weakies dont get to the bait first. ;)

haven't had too much luck with live spot in the back. I thought I had a honey hole till I fished it hard twice with no results. Sod bank dropping down to 30 FOW and a creek in the center running in/out to the channel. fished on incoming and also the outging. when the tide's rippin it looks extremely fishy. not a bite. Tried fish finder rig and also a half ounce jighead.

also have given up topwater fishing for a while. last 3 trips not a single blowup at sunrise. was pretty good earlier in the summer. Now all I find are blues EVERYWHERE. O well. the freshies have been biting and I made a new friend at home with a girlfriend who lives near a certain dam ;)

Next goal is a striper from the surf out front of avalon/stone harbor. clueless from the surf but I figure I'll put enough hours in to get it down this fall B)

Don't know how long I'll have the boat in the water but anyone willing to share some tips gets a free ride

#12 dano

dano

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

my rig for fishing live spot fish is very simple. 5/0 circle hook 30 lbs leader. 2 ounce weight about 18 inches above the hook, carolina rig, fish finder rig, fixed weight with a dropper loop, whatever...

drop the spot down under the boat vertically to the bottom, and then crank up two or three cranks. drift. when spot goes crazy, get ready for bite. occasionally, drop down to contact bottom and crank up two or three again. the idea is to stay in that strike zone, and dont drag the bottom. this will get stripers, fluke, weakies and unfortunately blues. you can also experiment with the water column, especially for stripers. sometimes, i find them suspended 5 to 10 feet from the surface in 30 FOW. striper like areas in the back bays that the surface rips because the current and a drastic change in depth, or a horizontal change, such as a point or creek mouth. if you see the current ruffling on the surface, then its a striper spot. weakies and fluke can be anywhere, just need to narrow them down on any given day, but weakies do like to be near a significant change in depth. for example i had them in 20 to 30 FOW on the up current lip of a shear drop off to 60 FOW on SUnday. You couldnt put a live spotfish down there that wasnt mauled instantly.
Join CCA!

#13 flyers1kak

flyers1kak

PAC Regular

• Registered Guest
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:16 PM

my rig for fishing live spot fish is very simple. 5/0 circle hook 30 lbs leader. 2 ounce weight about 18 inches above the hook, carolina rig, fish finder rig, fixed weight with a dropper loop, whatever...

drop the spot down under the boat vertically to the bottom, and then crank up two or three cranks. drift. when spot goes crazy, get ready for bite. occasionally, drop down to contact bottom and crank up two or three again. the idea is to stay in that strike zone, and dont drag the bottom. this will get stripers, fluke, weakies and unfortunately blues. you can also experiment with the water column, especially for stripers. sometimes, i find them suspended 5 to 10 feet from the surface in 30 FOW. striper like areas in the back bays that the surface rips because the current and a drastic change in depth, or a horizontal change, such as a point or creek mouth. if you see the current ruffling on the surface, then its a striper spot. weakies and fluke can be anywhere, just need to narrow them down on any given day, but weakies do like to be near a significant change in depth. for example i had them in 20 to 30 FOW on the up current lip of a shear drop off to 60 FOW on SUnday. You couldnt put a live spotfish down there that wasnt mauled instantly.

good advice thanks a lot man

#14 dano

dano

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

Figured I'd share that fishing down in south jersey is just red hot right now. Weakfish have made a tremedous comeback this year. Its simply awesome. Dad and I fished the incoming tide yesterday, backwaters, and boated 61 weakfish up to 25". We also unbuttoned maybe another 15 or more before they got to the boat. Action was great. And they were all quality size fish. Avg. probably 20", maybe better. Dad also boated a 22" fluke that went free (out of season), lucky for that fluke! And we had a few blues in the mix as well. Most fish were caught on bass assassins or bass kandies, but we also caught on rubber worms, live croakers and live spotfish. Live bait didnt stand a chance. These weakies were all out. The weather was freakin cold! But the fishing kept our blood flowing. Got my Dad back to Philly before rush hour. Great day to take off!

I've also heard great reports lately about redfish and spotted trout in south jersey. Fishing is as good as it gets right now. If you can get down there, go get um.
Join CCA!

#15 CO

CO

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

Figured I'd share that fishing down in south jersey is just red hot right now. Weakfish have made a tremedous comeback this year. Its simply awesome. Dad and I fished the incoming tide yesterday, backwaters, and boated 61 weakfish up to 25". We also unbuttoned maybe another 15 or more before they got to the boat. Action was great. And they were all quality size fish. Avg. probably 20", maybe better. Dad also boated a 22" fluke that went free (out of season), lucky for that fluke! And we had a few blues in the mix as well. Most fish were caught on bass assassins or bass kandies, but we also caught on rubber worms, live croakers and live spotfish. Live bait didnt stand a chance. These weakies were all out. The weather was freakin cold! But the fishing kept our blood flowing. Got my Dad back to Philly before rush hour. Great day to take off!

I've also heard great reports lately about redfish and spotted trout in south jersey. Fishing is as good as it gets right now. If you can get down there, go get um.

Do reds normally migrate up this far, I know spotted sea trout here and there.

This is pretty funny, I probably caught over 500 spotted sea trout in my life but never got a weakie. One of these years I need to head out for them when they are in thick, just rent a boat or something.

#16 WG

WG

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

Do reds normally migrate up this far, I know spotted sea trout here and there.

This is pretty funny, I probably caught over 500 spotted sea trout in my life but never got a weakie. One of these years I need to head out for them when they are in thick, just rent a boat or something.

I fished Friday with a "local" while sharkin, and he said that his local buddies were catching a lot of redfish in the surf, not huge but up to about 24 inches.....

#17 PhillyFisherman

PhillyFisherman

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 369 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:55 PM

The amount of bait down the shore is also quite incredible. Went to a back bay spot in OC earlier this week from around 12 AM to 5 AM and found loads of peanuts in the lagoon. Was very easy to net a bunch of bait. Figured something was chasing them and began to live line the peanuts with a slip float rig. Small blues and bass were all over the peanut bunker especially considering how much bait was in the water. Very windy, however, which was really churning up the clarity of the water.
Romans 6:23

#18 matt

matt

knot conquistador

• Admin
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

Hit the salt from the sand with my dad over the weekend. Friday night was really cold, but it continued to get warmer throughout the weekend. Was able to score a couple dozen fresh bunker because I got on a waiting list two days before I went down. Fresh bait seems to be scarce. Went out Saturday morning to a few areas near Strathmere. We had the beach to ourselves, but only two run offs in about 6 hours of fishing. After breakfast, I went back out into the first hour of darkness and still got skunked. Sunday was pretty much more of the same results, just with better weather. Did manage some skates on Sunday, so at least there was that.

People are already saying the season is over before it even started. Reports seem to be scattered (especially from the sand), but there are definitely way less people fishing. I am gonna go back down later this month, unless it sounds extremely dismal.

As far as the destruction I saw, Ocean City made out ok. Damage seemed to be random, and the newer builds that are raised obviously faired much better than the old school bungalow type homes. I took a drive to check out some other fishing spots over by Longport. Way more damage over there. There was so much sand in the streets and lawns, the whole town looked like it was in the process of digging out of a massive snow storm.

Anyways, if you are heading down to NJ to fish, call around first to make sure you can reserve fresh bait. And a boat helps too.

#19 CO

CO

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

Hit the salt from the sand with my dad over the weekend. Friday night was really cold, but it continued to get warmer throughout the weekend. Was able to score a couple dozen fresh bunker because I got on a waiting list two days before I went down. Fresh bait seems to be scarce. Went out Saturday morning to a few areas near Strathmere. We had the beach to ourselves, but only two run offs in about 6 hours of fishing. After breakfast, I went back out into the first hour of darkness and still got skunked. Sunday was pretty much more of the same results, just with better weather. Did manage some skates on Sunday, so at least there was that.

People are already saying the season is over before it even started. Reports seem to be scattered (especially from the sand), but there are definitely way less people fishing. I am gonna go back down later this month, unless it sounds extremely dismal.

As far as the destruction I saw, Ocean City made out ok. Damage seemed to be random, and the newer builds that are raised obviously faired much better than the old school bungalow type homes. I took a drive to check out some other fishing spots over by Longport. Way more damage over there. There was so much sand in the streets and lawns, the whole town looked like it was in the process of digging out of a massive snow storm.

Anyways, if you are heading down to NJ to fish, call around first to make sure you can reserve fresh bait. And a boat helps too.

Have Adam Bomb booked our usual Friday before Thanksgiving for our Stripers and Dice trip where we stay in AC. Weather looks to be a go which is always an issue but the rips appear dead. I am thinking we might head to the bay.

#20 mr.fish

mr.fish

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 663 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

Had offers from 2 different groups of people to fish either long beach or cape may this past weekend, but had to work. Glad I didn't go, because both groups didn't catch squat. Both said there were absolutely no signs of life anywhere down there. No bait, activity, nothing. Sounds like this fall run might be done already. I know tog opens to 6 limit this weekend, but don't see it possible to lift a limit from those rocks after that storm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users