PAC Lurker

• Club Member - Expired
  • Pip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

Must stop the poachers!

http://www.fish.stat...ti-poaching.htm

HARRISBURG, Pa. — Gov. Tom Corbett has signed into law tougher anti-poaching legislation which increases the maximum fine for illegally harvesting fish from $200 to $5,000 and extends the period the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) can revoke fishing and boating privileges from two to five years.
“This new law will have an immediate impact on our ability to deter large-scale poachers from illegally taking fish,” said PFBC Executive Director John Arway. “These are the individuals who deliberately come in after dark and take large amounts of game fish, often by using illegal methods such as netting or spearing in the streams. In the past, poaching was subject to a $200 maximum fine. Now we can hit violators with up to $5,000 in fines, as well as the cost of replacing the fish they illegally harvest.”

The legislation was signed into law by Gov. Corbett last night and took effect immediately.
“Weak laws made our waterways extremely vulnerable to poaching, with highly sought-after trophy species of fish repeatedly stolen from our waterways and sold on the black market,” said Rep. Michael Peifer (R-Greentown), who sponsored the legislation as House Bill 2293. “This is a serious problem that has a detrimental impact on our regional economy. Under this law, we finally have a punishment that fits the crime."

more info at the link....

#2 hughmac

hughmac

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 160 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

Good news? Hopefully they start behind UPS this spring.

#3 The Don

The Don

FISH HARD

• Charter Member
  • 2,560 posts
  • LocationPhila,pa

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:33 AM

I know a great place for them to start!,Hopefully they would catch on this year...
Throw your lure in the water and put the puzzle together..

#4 dreamchaser82

dreamchaser82

PAC Lurker

• Registered Guest
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

Good news? Hopefully they start behind UPS this spring.

100% agree... but they don't care about fines... they had a guy get a violation last year and was caught again the next day. they don't care. We need to speek up as anglers and stop the illegal harvest.

#5 kozmicblues

kozmicblues

PAC Regular

• Registered Guest
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:06 AM

Back home (South Africa) if you used your car / boat in commision of apoaching violation them would seize them as well. If you were storing frozen poached rock lobster in your House they could seize your house. I thing holding a poachers car/boat until the fine is paid would be a good start.  

#6 matt

matt

knot conquistador

• Admin
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationUp the street from the knot!

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

Back home (South Africa) if you used your car / boat in commision of apoaching violation them would seize them as well. If you were storing frozen poached rock lobster in your House they could seize your house. I thing holding a poachers car/boat until the fine is paid would be a good start.  

That's a great policy, in my opinion.  Unfortunately, as the standard operating procedures in Harrisburg is to completely ignore and underfund Philadelphia, there is very little enforcement in Philly, ANYWHERE.

#7 Leo S

Leo S

PAC Lurker

• Club Member - Expired
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:59 PM

Agreed with Matt.

The legislative part can work wonderfully if the executive does its job. However, the PA Fish and Boat Commission is always under the budget, not to mention that Philadelphia has only 2 or 3 officers (I'm not sure of the number).

Law enforcement is a serious issue that the fishing community faces nowadays, unfortunately. =/

#8 Illadelphia

Illadelphia

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 47 posts
  • LocationRight in the middle of it

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:15 PM

Must stop the poachers!

http://www.fish.stat...ti-poaching.htm

HARRISBURG, Pa. — Gov. Tom Corbett has signed into law tougher anti-poaching legislation which increases the maximum fine for illegally harvesting fish from $200 to $5,000 and extends the period the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) can revoke fishing and boating privileges from two to five years.
“This new law will have an immediate impact on our ability to deter large-scale poachers from illegally taking fish,” said PFBC Executive Director John Arway. “These are the individuals who deliberately come in after dark and take large amounts of game fish, often by using illegal methods such as netting or spearing in the streams. In the past, poaching was subject to a $200 maximum fine. Now we can hit violators with up to $5,000 in fines, as well as the cost of replacing the fish they illegally harvest.”

The legislation was signed into law by Gov. Corbett last night and took effect immediately.
“Weak laws made our waterways extremely vulnerable to poaching, with highly sought-after trophy species of fish repeatedly stolen from our waterways and sold on the black market,” said Rep. Michael Peifer (R-Greentown), who sponsored the legislation as House Bill 2293. “This is a serious problem that has a detrimental impact on our regional economy. Under this law, we finally have a punishment that fits the crime."

more info at the link....

So that's why I get hassled so much when I go night fishing! I thought they just didn't like fishermen or more likely just me . ive honestly seen only about a dozen other people fishing this season around the stupidly early hours of the morning that I do and I'm pretty sure they weren't poaching. The most poaching I've personally witnessed was during trout season, that pissed me off. One guy, 15 trout in his bag and still catching more while bragging about it....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users