• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

I am relatively new to the use of artificial lures.

What I'm wondering, is the importance  of the type of knot used to attach the lure?

I'm not concerned so much with the strength of the knot, but rather how the knot affects the presentation of the lure. I predominantly use the improved clinch knot for tying hooks to my line. This knot has served me well, but I was wondering if a loop type knot would be better for certain artificial lures in regards to their presentation?

Am I  overthinking things?

#2 Doc Watson

Doc Watson

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:03 PM

I usually use a palomar to tie all my lures.  But I often fish with Rapala lures and sometimes use "their" knot.

#3 Tom

Tom

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:47 AM

Yes, the loop knot that Rapala has in their stickbait boxes is really good for stickbaits and other floating lures. I use it for most of my topwaters as the loop helps create more action, especially side to side.

Otherwise I generally stick with a palomar or improved clinch. I have been using albright  knows for connecting line to line, but will hopefully field test using two improved clinches to do the same this coming weekend.

#4 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:57 AM

Tom and Doc... thanks for the specific feedback... I will begin tying the Rapala Knot for certain lures. How about jigs? Is a loop type knot warranted for jig fishing? I appreciate your advice.

#5 matt

matt

knot conquistador

• Admin
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationUp the street from the knot!

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:30 AM

I use a palomar 99% of the time. The rapala knot is definitely useful for floating plugs that need that extra freedom of movement, and I should probably use it more often.

#6 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:39 AM

I use a palomar 99% of the time. The rapala knot is definitely useful for floating plugs that need that extra freedom of movement, and I should probably use it more often.

Thanks Matt.

#7 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:26 AM

I actually invented my own version of the clinch knot that I use basically all the time. I'm too afraid to use loop knots in some places....my know always causes hooks to bend out rather than the knot break. I use an Alberto knot for line to leader, it is the strongest line to leader that I am aware of.
Itching for some fishing.

#8 Tom

Tom

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

George, other than floating lures I use the Palomar. It is time tested and bullet proof and, perhaps most importanly, super easy to tie. Very handy when trying to tie on a foofoo jig for steelhead at zero dark thirty with numb semi frozen hands. If it is good enough for a 10+ pound steelhead on 4lb fluro, I would think it would good enough for pretty much anything. I don't think the loop would make much difference with jigs or soft plastics...just my .02.

Chris, I had never heard of the Alberto knot but found it on Stripersonline, presumably invented by a contributor on that forum. It is a modified albright (from what I read) and looks promising. I was never a fan of the Albriight for joining braid to mono for the same reason they mention,,,pull out. It looks promising and I will give that a try on one of my shark setups to see how it compares with the double clinch knot I will also be trying for the first time. Besides the obvious knot strength, I am looking to perfect one that doesn't leave a big know "bulge" in the spool and more importantly slips through the guides easily when the shock leader passes through them. When throwing 4 ounces + and half a bunker or more, I want to be confident in both breaking strength and ease of passing through the guides.

#9 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:17 AM

Thanks Chris and Tom for your advice. Looks like I'll start trying the Palomar if it's that easy... I'm all about keeping it simple.

As for leader to braid  mainline connection, I've been using the J-Knot and have found it to be very effective. I've snagged up quite a bit practicing my jigging skills at Fairmount and when having a tug of war with the Fairmount rock structure (rocks win 90% of the battles).... I've never had the line break at the J-Knot connection. Two big fish that broke me off this past season... neither line failure occurred at the J-Knot.

#10 CO

CO

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

I have a decent arsenal of knots as I pretty much only fish lures. Keep it simple, of all the knots I know these are the best.

Palomar is the strongest and most versatile
Loop should be used on flukes, xraps, and topwater except frogs
Improved clinch is a wildcard, sometimes I use it if my leader line is low
Uni to Uni use this on braid to mono/flouro. Overtime this knot is easy, I can seriously tie it blind fold drunk.
Snell for large test live bait fishing or flipping

#11 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

Thanks Joe... I was wondering about the flukes and x-raps... especially the flukes. I've not had much success with flukes, but I certainly do like them and continue to try them. Do you have a preferred loop type knot?

#12 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

I actually invented my own version of the clinch knot that I use basically all the time.

Do you call it the Chrinch Knot? Mind sharing your secret modification.

#13 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:32 PM

The knot I use depends on type of line and pound test. For mono or flouro, I make 5 or 6 wraps, but with braid ill use 10-12 wraps, both clinch very evenly. What I also do differently is after I wrap it the proper number of times, I pass the end through the hook/lure eye, then wrap it around the loop above the eye twice. I then hold the tag end and pull the knot tightly until the knot pops into place. Moisten with saliva before tightening. Kinds hard to explain in text, I'll show you in persona next time we fish.
Itching for some fishing.

#14 springgardener

springgardener

PAC Lurker

• Club Member - Expired
  • Pip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

ive been using palomar exclusively for tying on hooks and lures for years now, and have never tied another not for this purpose since.  The palomar simply does not fail or slip at all.  I use it for topwater too, I never really thought that it might not be the best know for that.

#15 Doc Watson

Doc Watson

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

ive been using palomar exclusively for tying on hooks and lures for years now, and have never tied another not for this purpose since.  The palomar simply does not fail or slip at all.  I use it for topwater too, I never really thought that it might not be the best know for that.

But it's knot. :P   ;) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users