• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:33 PM

George you should invest in a boga or fish gripper!

Chris... I have one and used it on two stripers I caught this week... works like a charm. It was my own stupidity having my legs dangling in the water with the fish that close. I still will pinch the barbs down.

#42 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:45 PM

Channel cats continue to provide the most entertainment. Got a 7 pounder today who fought like a champion. Also caught 5 more ranging between 2-4 pounds. All caught on a 1/4 ounce Joe's Fly spinner. Channels have been very active the last couple of weeks and I've caught them on crank baits, spinners and soft plastics.

Also got two small largemouth today. Earlier in the week I got a decent largemouth and a schoolie striper as well as some white and yellow perch and a couple of calico bass. The weather has been stellar. It is hard to come off the water.

Attached Thumbnails

• 072104STRIPER.jpg
  • 072014lmb.jpg

#43 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:39 PM

I swear by the 1/4oz joes flies. Best inline spinner on the market with slowest engaging speed. Nice job.
Itching for some fishing.

#44 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:04 PM

I swear by the 1/4oz joes flies. Best inline spinner on the market with slowest engaging speed. Nice job.

Chris... I have you to thank for the Joe's Flies... you recommended them to me and just like you told me... everything seems to like them and the slow engaging speed is a big tease to the catfish. As always, I appreciate the advice.

#45 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:46 PM

These guys were attacking Joe's Flies today...

Attached Thumbnails

• Yellow_Perch JoesFly.JPG

#46 JGPHILLY

JGPHILLY

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 83 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:17 PM

Love the colors on those fish.

#47 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:47 PM

Love the colors on those fish.

ALL very healthy specimens.

#48 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

Tidal yellow perch are a treasure. They run around in schools but are hard to find....
Itching for some fishing.

#49 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:48 AM

Tidal yellow perch are a treasure. They run around in schools but are hard to find....

I've been fortunate in finding quite a few this summer.

#50 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

Every now and then you have one of those golden days fishing. I've had a blast the last four weeks exploring new waters with my kayak. The only negative is that the kayak has kept me away from carping until today. While exploring in the kayak I am always looking for new spots that appear carpy and are off the beaten track. Yesterday at low tide I scoped out an area that I felt showed some promise and came prepared with two gallons of corn if I deemed the spot worthy.

Being a tidal area there is a huge difference in a given location between high and low tides. The fact that I will be bottom fishing for carp I like to investigate during low tide to discover how much aquatic vegetation I'm going to have to contend with. The Hydrilla beds are reaching their peaks at this time of year and can densely cover the bottom anywhere from 10 to 30 yards from the shoreline. The area I was considering turned out to have a 10-15 yard span of dense hydrilla extending from the low tide line. The water then started to get significantly deeper and the hydrilla thinned out during the next 5-10 yards. I decided to bait an area approximately thirty  to forty yards from the bank. I spread the corn out and paddled away.

I arrived at the water this morning right at the peak of high tide. I loaded my gear in the yak and paddled to my pre-baited destination. My plan was to use the kayak to get to my swim. Once there I fished from the water's edge, utilizing my kayak as a base station and convenient rod holder. I brought three rods, my carp net and two more gallons of chum. Two rods were deployed for carp and the other rod I would use to throw artificials while waiting to see if any carp showed up.

By 7:30AM all lines were in the water. First cast of my 3" curly tailed grub gets slammed by a 4 pound channel cat. A few casts later a yellow perch and then a small striper. Then I see one of my corn baited rods bouncing. I reel in another channel cat. As soon as I unbutton the channel my other rod goes off and I land a 12 pound common. By 10AM I have landed four more carp, lost one… two carp were real bronze beauties… over twenty pounds.

They were true golden gladiators. The fights were made even more challenging as they dove into the hydrilla beds. Tons of FUN! I left shortly after 10 on a carp high. I could have stayed longer, but I had my fix and didn't want to get greedy.

Attached Thumbnails

• Kayak.JPG
  • Kayak_carp08032014.jpeg

#51 JGPHILLY

JGPHILLY

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 83 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:20 PM

Sound like you had an awesome day. Kayaks are such a useful tool to get you to the unpressured spots.

#52 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:06 PM

Took my kayak to the good old Skuke today. Launched from the west side of the river just up from the Girard Avenue Bridge. Paddled two miles upriver to the Route 1 Bridges. Stayed near the west bank up and back. It was truly a turtle extravaganza. I saw well over a hundred turtles basking near the bank. Some logs had double digit reptiles soaking up the rays. I saw big turtles and tiny turtles... I saw red ear sliders, musk turtles, map turtles, painted turtles, red-bellied turtles and even some soft-shelled turtles taking advantage of this sunny day.

Water visibility was very good. I could see clearly to the bottom in 5-6 feet of water. I was surprised at the large areas of the riverbed that are littered with the shells of freshwater mollusks. The amount of snails that patrol the river is also impressive. On my next trip to the Schuylkill, I'd like to explore up closer to Flatrock Dam. Anyone know of an area to launch a kayak within 2-3 miles of Flatrock Dam? On the downriver side of the dam.

Anyone recognize my next carping spot?...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3044.JPG

#53 Doc Watson

Doc Watson

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:03 PM

I envy your youthful enthusiasm George !!!  B)   I'm not sure if you can get access to the river with a yak in this location or not, but it's the only area below Flatrock that I think you'd have a reasonable chance to launch without just heaving the yak into the canal and going up to Flatrock.  You should know that the water can move at a pretty good clip through that area and there are lots of rocks and boulders.  Otherwise, anywhere in the area marked with the red line.  It's right behind the upper end of Main street in Manayunk off E. Flatrock Rd.

Attached Thumbnails

• Yak Launch Spot.jpg

#54 Doc Watson

Doc Watson

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:14 PM

On further investigation, perhaps you want to contact the Philadelphia Canoe Club.  The PCC clubhouse is located on the bank of the confluence of the Wissahickon Creek and Schuylkill River, within the Fairmount Park System of Philadelphia. Our driveway entrance is at the traffic light on Ridge Ave. by the SEPTA DEPOT/bus stop, just south of the Manayunk Main Street movie theater.

#55 matt

matt

knot conquistador

• Admin
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationUp the street from the knot!

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:15 PM

GC - I believe that is Peter's Island.

#56 matt

matt

knot conquistador

• Admin
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationUp the street from the knot!

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:16 PM

FYI - the canoe club is private.  That might be a relatively long paddle too. 

#57 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:50 PM

GC - I believe that is Peter's Island.

Well done Matt... If anyone would get it, I figured it would be you. Interesting area.

#58 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:51 PM

FYI - the canoe club is private.  That might be a relatively long paddle too. 

Yes... The other side of the creek belongs to PAC members and others.

#59 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:58 PM

On further investigation, perhaps you want to contact the Philadelphia Canoe Club.  The PCC clubhouse is located on the bank of the confluence of the Wissahickon Creek and Schuylkill River, within the Fairmount Park System of Philadelphia. Our driveway entrance is at the traffic light on Ridge Ave. by the SEPTA DEPOT/bus stop, just south of the Manayunk Main Street movie theater.

Thanks Doc, but they are a members only club. I know exactly where they are located. Fished that area many times.

#60 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:15 PM

I envy your youthful enthusiasm George !!!  B)   I'm not sure if you can get access to the river with a yak in this location or not, but it's the only area below Flatrock that I think you'd have a reasonable chance to launch without just heaving the yak into the canal and going up to Flatrock.  You should know that the water can move at a pretty good clip through that area and there are lots of rocks and boulders.  Otherwise, anywhere in the area marked with the red line.  It's right behind the upper end of Main street in Manayunk off E. Flatrock Rd.

Thanks for scoping out the area Doc. I am very familiar with that section of the river. Fished it quite a few times and it is a regular walking route for me and my dogs along the west side during the winter. I would not get too close to the dam and I would make sure flow rates were reasonable. It is a picturesque stretch of water.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users