• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:51 PM

Got this info in an email... just passing it on...

On October 29, 2014, the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission Striped Bass Management Board will meet to decide future coast-wide reductions in Striped Bass commercial and recreational harvest. These changes, which could result in up to a 25% reduction in harvest, are necessitated by declining numbers of mature Striped Bass and relatively poor reproductive success in recent years.  It is anticipated that the new regulations will be implemented in 2015.  In Pennsylvania, this could affect the year round regulations on the Delaware River and Estuary of a 28” minimum size limit and 2 fish creel limit, as well as the regulations in the Delaware Estuary (PA State Line upstream to the Calhoun Street Bridge) of a 20-26” slot limit, 2 fish creel limit during the months of April and May.  Comments on the year round regulations are being accepted by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission until 5:00pm on September 30, 2014 (see the following link):  http://www.asmfc.org/uploads/file//53f3cd5cStripedBassDraftAddendumIV_PublicComment.pdf

However, for the April and May period, the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) is seeking public comment separately on a number of options which are explained on the survey at the following link: https://www.surveymo...ped-Bass-Survey

Responses to the survey will be accepted through November 14, 2014.  Please note that this is not a formal rulemaking proposal by the PFBC.  There will be another opportunity for public comment when any new regulatory options are formally proposed by the PFBC.  The input we receive in the current survey is meant to inform PFBC staff of anglers’ preferences for future rulemaking proposals. 

#2 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:11 PM

I work at the water department, and although my work is in graphics and communications, I get to learn a lot of very interesting things from far-reaching fields. One of the less inspirational facts that came along lately was about the movement of chemical fertilizers in the susquehanna; particulalry how SLOW it is. Apparently the bulk of the fertilizer runoff now showing up in the bay is old. I forget how old, but this means that even if fertilizer runoff stopped altogether today, the peak of the impact would not be seen for many years. I'm not sure how or if this affects the bass population or any other, but reading this inclined me to share.

#3 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:19 PM

Thanks for sharing Louis… That is very interesting information concerning the fertilizers. Sadly, there are no quick fixes for past sins done to our environment. Environmental recovery is a long journey. I'm just thankful we are finally going in the right direction. I've been impressed with the changes I've seen locally over the past 20-25 years.

#4 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:40 PM

Agreed on that!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users