12 replies to this topic

#1 noem1

noem1

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Locationdelco

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:18 PM

Hey PAC. My name is Shawn aka noem.Ive neen fishing since I was 4 years old in Miami. My dad had a boat and we went out every weekend. During the week i fished lakes. Pretty much fished everyday.I've caught just about every big game fish in the keys.
I moved to northern Virginia when I was 16. The fishing there wasn't great. Thats when I got into archery hunting.
I moved to Delco 3 Years ago. Not much into hunting anymore so I decided to get back into fishing.
I was impressed with all the bodies of water around here. They looked promising. So I headed down to the delaware river (5min for my house)caught some channels and was "Hooked" again. During the warmer months I go fishing 3-4 times a week. But Del. River channel cats are not doing it for me like they used to. Thats when I found out the beasts of the Schuylkill. It reminded me of groupers i used to catch in FL. So ive been reading up on it since last year big time. Fishing in philly kind of intimated me. Im not used to fishing in big cities that im not familiar with. But after all my readings im ready.
I sold some of my old rods and reels, in order to get a new set-up for these monsters. More on that when its completed. Anyway I look forward to meeting some members and fishing with them.

Sorry for the long drawn out intro but im really excited I found this forum( best one I found by far). Ive been reading it for the last 3 days.its nice to see people have the same passion for fishing that I now have again. Thanks!!

#2 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:30 PM

Welcome Noem. You certainly were spoiled early on in your life fishing everyday in Florida. As far as fishing in urban areas, you just have to be smart. Use common sense. If you're fishing after dark, try to always fish with someone else. Safety in numbers. Also, keep desirables like phones, cameras, etc... concealed as much as possible.

You are right about all the bodies of water so close to Philadelphia. It is a rewarding fishery if you put in your time and figure it out. I'm assuming when you speak about "Beasts" of the Schuylkill you are referring to Flatheads. There are certainly some large flatheads cruising the river. I would also like to give a shout out to the carp in our area... Tremendous fighters. A plethora of species available within the city limits including the recently invasive yet exciting snakehead, plus some ancient species like bowfin and the rare possibility of a sturgeon. The seasonal shad is a special favorite of mine.

RIght now, I'm biding my time waiting for the weather to warm a bit. Good luck in the upcoming season.

#3 noem1

noem1

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Locationdelco

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:46 PM

I feel ya about the weather.I can only clean my gear soo many times.Yeah the beasts are the
flatheads. Those carp look crazy fun to catch.They look like big Drum and i bet they fight like them have to? Ill look into that.

#4 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:34 AM

Welcome noem. What have you been using for as bait on the delaware?
Itching for some fishing.

#5 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:43 AM

I feel ya about the weather.I can only clean my gear soo many times.Yeah the beasts are the
flatheads. Those carp look crazy fun to catch.They look like big Drum and i bet they fight like them have to? Ill look into that.

Carp are "crazy fun" to catch. Definitely give them a go...you won't regret it.

#6 Illadelphia

Illadelphia

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 47 posts
  • LocationRight in the middle of it

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:39 PM

Carp are "crazy fun" to catch. Definitely give them a go...you won't regret it.

I can conquer with GC, carp are a blast to fight. I just don't like the wait time but, I solve that by using another rod to catch whatever else might be around😃.
The manayunk canal has huge schools of them running up and down the whole canal. Caught my personal best there I think about 2 seasons ago with help from another fishing mentor Leo. We used canned corn, #4 pre-snelled hook pretty much Carolina rigged with a 1/4 oz. bullet weight (just because I ran out of eggs😳😃) on 10lbs. Mono on my $9.99 Zebco Wal-Mart sale rod (I've upgraded drastically since lol). Oh by the way it was a beautiful 5.13lbs. Mirror carp!!!

Here's a link to the YouTube video, I'm the guy with a khaki ball cap and sunglasses. Enjoy!

#7 noem1

noem1

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Locationdelco

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:40 PM

When fishing the delaware I currently use hot dogs about 1"-2" pieces. Used to use chicken liver but that stuff gets everywhere and stinks. ill be digging my cast net out this season and using live bait. I got a spot loaded with small 1"-3" fish. Not sure what they are.

#8 Nick with a K

Nick with a K

Sir

• Charter Member
  • 733 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:42 AM

Check the regulations first. I believe cast nets are illegal in most PA waters.

#9 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:52 PM

Nick is correct… There are very tight restrictions on the use of cast nets in the waters of Pennsylvania. There are a few waters where they can be used, but you definitely need a permit.

#10 noem1

noem1

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Locationdelco

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:03 AM

Well that's good to know. Thanks for the heads up.looks like ill have to pack some small hooks.

#11 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:01 PM

Noem, you have other options...

TAKING AND KEEPING BAIT is permitted using rod and reel or handline, dip net or minnow seine not over 4 feet square in diameter, or a minnow trap with no more than two openings that shall not exceed 1 inch in diameter. All devices must be under the immediate control of the person using them. Unattended minnow traps or baitfish containers left in Commonwealth waters must be identified with the owner’s or user’s name, address and telephone number. If fishing in a group and the total number of fishbait or baitfish taken exceeds the possession limit (50), separate containers must be provided for the fishbait and baitfish. Total possession limit in any one container may not exceed 50 baitfish or fishbait combined.

#12 noem1

noem1

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Locationdelco

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:09 PM

Noem, you have other options...
TAKING AND KEEPING BAIT is permitted using rod and reel or handline, dip net or minnow seine not over 4 feet square in diameter, or a minnow trap with no more than two openings that shall not exceed 1 inch in diameter. All devices must be under the immediate control of the person using them. Unattended minnow traps or baitfish containers left in Commonwealth waters must be identified with the owner’s or user’s name, address and telephone number. If fishing in a group and the total number of fishbait or baitfish taken exceeds the possession limit (50), separate containers must be provided for the fishbait and baitfish. Total possession limit in any one container may not exceed 50 baitfish or fishbait combined.

Thanks for the info GC. Ill have to go to Wal-Mart and get on of those rules and regulations books. I should of read one by now anyway.

#13 Doc Watson

Doc Watson

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:37 AM

You can read the PA Regs here......

http://fishandboat.c...com/reg398.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users