• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:37 AM

Even though the weather has been extremely frigid, the amount of bird activity in my backyard today in Upper Darby is astounding. Looking out the window the past 20 minutes I was able to observe flocks of robins, flocks of starlings, a bunch of grackles, some doves, a nuthatch, sparrows, Carolina wren, Downy woodpecker, Black-Capped Chicadee and even a seagull flying overhead. Sorta reminded me of Hitchcock's thriller "The Birds." So cool to see so much wildlife in such an urban area.

It certainly feels like we're in the death grip of Old Man Winter, but all of these birds are a harbinger of spring!

… just spotted a Blue Jay to add to the list!

#2 Illadelphia

Illadelphia

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 47 posts
  • LocationRight in the middle of it

Posted 21 February 2015 - 07:33 PM

Even though the weather has been extremely frigid, the amount of bird activity in my backyard today in Upper Darby is astounding. Looking out the window the past 20 minutes I was able to observe flocks of robins, flocks of starlings, a bunch of grackles, some doves, a nuthatch, sparrows, Carolina wren, Downy woodpecker, Black-Capped Chicadee and even a seagull flying overhead. Sorta reminded me of Hitchcock's thriller "The Birds." So cool to see so much wildlife in such an urban area.

It certainly feels like we're in the death grip of Old Man Winter, but all of these birds are a harbinger of spring!

… just spotted a Blue Jay to add to the list!

I'm near lower merion area and I've been seeing some crazy birds too. Cardinals, blue jays, a red headed wood pecker, a pack of 3 Hawks and a bald eagle by nockamixon. There have been a few other larger birds of prey which I couldn't fully identify

#3 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:16 PM

I saw a flock of what appeared to be snow geese yesterday on the northeast extension just south of allentown. I don't think I've ever seen them in our area.

#4 matt

matt

knot conquistador

• Admin
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationUp the street from the knot!

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:38 PM

Driving through the open-spaces of Northern Bucks regularly, I've seen the occasional flock of snow geese on my way to/fro work.  I also regularly see some pretty large gaggles of deer, can't believe I haven't hit one yet.

#5 FishOn

FishOn

PAC Lurker

• Registered Guest
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationManayunk

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:05 AM

Seen a red tipped black bird on the tow path in Manayunk

#6 CO

CO

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:13 PM

I often wonder if the amount of daylight has more to do with this kind of stuff than temps.  Since days are getting longer does the wildlife begin to move more to spring patterns?  I mean, look how we are all itching to fish and it is 7 degrees outside but we know it is right around the corner. 

#7 Nick with a K

Nick with a K

Sir

• Charter Member
  • 733 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 03:08 PM

Most of these birds are winter residents, even the robins. I think the approaching storm may have motivated feeding. It makes sense since most of the forage would be covered with snow.

#8 WG

WG

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:16 PM

The amount of daylight does play into this....just like the shad that are in the bay and lower tidal section...they will migrate when its time, NOT dependant on temperature.....but Im with you George, the amount of bird activity has been incredible.....12 cardinals at a time on my feeders, flickers, red headed and hairy woodpeckers, and the list goes on...

#9 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:26 AM

Most of these birds are winter residents, even the robins. I think the approaching storm may have motivated feeding. It makes sense since most of the forage would be covered with snow.

I agree, they were stimulated by the oncoming storm. But as Bill mentioned, it was the incredible amount of birds that fascinated me. I had hundreds of robins in my small backyard in Upper Darby. That, along with over 100 other mixed species of birds. I also agree that the amount of daylight is a.driving force in the migratory patterns of many animals.

#10 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:39 AM

A significant amount of Red-Winged Blackbirds trilling in the marshes yesterday...  Actually saw a 60 degree high in the local extended forecast... spring is getting closer!

#11 Nick with a K

Nick with a K

Sir

• Charter Member
  • 733 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 07:34 AM

Ssssshh! Don't jinx it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users