• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:43 PM

Had an unbelievable experience this afternoon. I started my day early in search of shad on the Skuke at first light. I was able to catch nine hickory shad before noon. A slow pick. The Shock Boat was present most of the morning sampling the fish population. The presence of the Shock Boat is never conducive to good fishing. I did witness the stunning and capture of a large musky… pretty cool.

I decided to try a different venue for the afternoon. Headed south to my favorite section of the Delaware Estuary in search of snakeheads or bowfin. I started fishing at the peak of the flood tide. I started with lures that proved successful last season. First a Mepps spinner with a Chartreuse  Power Bait trailer… NOTHING… Then a Chatterbait… NOTHING… Bass Jig… NOTHING… SpinnerBait… NOTHING.

After over two hours of NOTHING I decided to go to Old Faithful… A 1/4 Ounce Joe's Fly.

Third cast with the Joe's Fly and I have a fish on. A spunky high spirited channel cat. I caught quite a few channels on lures last year, but what happened next was two hours of the most intense catching I've ever experienced. TWENTY FOUR channel cats came to my hand. The average size was 3-4 pounds. About 5 of them were in the 5-7 pound class. The Joe's Fly was battered and twisted with bent and broken hooks, but it kept right on catching… ALL 24!

I'm sure I could have gotten more, but I was more than satisfied with the blitz the catfish had provided. They were attacking the lure at every level of the water column. A half dozen of them took it as it hit the surface. They were erupting from the water, tail walking and slapping the surface. Every catfish with the exception of one was the picture of health. Most had rotund bellies. This was the spark that my spring fishing needed!

#2 hectorphilly

hectorphilly

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 14 posts
  • Locationwherever I need to be

Posted 18 April 2015 - 12:58 AM

Wow that sounded like a great time but im wondering where did that large muskie get captured at i would love to fight one of those this year

#3 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:19 AM

Wow that sounded like a great time but im wondering where did that large muskie get captured at i would love to fight one of those this year

Tidal Schuylkill... Fish of 10,000 casts!

#4 Ian K

Ian K

PAC Lurker

• Registered Guest
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia PA

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:31 AM

Had an unbelievable experience this afternoon. I started my day early in search of shad on the Skuke at first light. I was able to catch nine hickory shad before noon. A slow pick. The Shock Boat was present most of the morning sampling the fish population. The presence of the Shock Boat is never conducive to good fishing. I did witness the stunning and capture of a large musky… pretty cool.

I decided to try a different venue for the afternoon. Headed south to my favorite section of the Delaware Estuary in search of snakeheads or bowfin. I started fishing at the peak of the flood tide. I started with lures that proved successful last season. First a Mepps spinner with a Chartreuse Power Bait trailer… NOTHING… Then a Chatterbait… NOTHING… Bass Jig… NOTHING… SpinnerBait… NOTHING.

After over two hours of NOTHING I decided to go to Old Faithful… A 1/4 Ounce Joe's Fly.

Third cast with the Joe's Fly and I have a fish on. A spunky high spirited channel cat. I caught quite a few channels on lures last year, but what happened next was two hours of the most intense catching I've ever experienced. TWENTY FOUR channel cats came to my hand. The average size was 3-4 pounds. About 5 of them were in the 5-7 pound class. The Joe's Fly was battered and twisted with bent and broken hooks, but it kept right on catching… ALL 24!

I'm sure I could have gotten more, but I was more than satisfied with the blitz the catfish had provided. They were attacking the lure at every level of the water column. A half dozen of them took it as it hit the surface. They were erupting from the water, tail walking and slapping the surface. Every catfish with the exception of one was the picture of health. Most had rotund bellies. This was the spark that my spring fishing needed!

Good stuff George ! I was out last Saturday on the skuke fishing for flattys and I hooked into what felt like a 25 lb fish once I got him to the top were we grab the fish he did two death rolls and threw the hook , I was so mad probably would've been my PB , but I did land a 6lb pounder Wendsday night . I plan on heading down to Fdr tomorrow morning for some bass.

#5 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 05:14 PM

Good stuff George ! I was out last Saturday on the skuke fishing for flattys and I hooked into what felt like a 25 lb fish once I got him to the top were we grab the fish he did two death rolls and threw the hook , I was so mad probably would've been my PB , but I did land a 6lb pounder Wendsday night . I plan on heading down to Fdr tomorrow morning for some bass.

Ian... We've all been there... a PB that is so close, but yet so far. You will get another PB, and you'll always have the memory of the one that got away. Good luck at FDR!

#6 Ian K

Ian K

PAC Lurker

• Registered Guest
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:16 PM

Thanks George I'll keep you posted.

#7 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:57 PM

Ian. Lost some big flatheads myself. What are you using for bait?
Itching for some fishing.

#8 Ian K

Ian K

PAC Lurker

• Registered Guest
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:04 AM

Ian. Lost some big flatheads myself. What are you using for bait?

Me and my friend have been using live/dead rock bass but I will say the flattys are biting fairly well where we fish.

#9 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:19 AM

Thats good.  i was out a few night ago ang got a decent amount of runs and a few small fish up to 7lbs on cut sunfish and chubs.  Not hits on live bait yet.  when the water warms more they will hit the live bait better. 

#10 Ian K

Ian K

PAC Lurker

• Registered Guest
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:56 PM

My friend wants to hit haddon lake for bass how much will a 1 day license cost? Or should I not be worried?

#11 Doc Watson

Doc Watson

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:52 AM

Nj non-resident is $34, no day license, + $20 if you want a trout stamp.  Usually not a concern, but if they get you they will take all your gear and fine you.

http://www.state.nj....w/fishneed.htm

#12 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 09:19 AM

I woukd get the lisence without the trout stamp

#13 Illadelphia

Illadelphia

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 47 posts
  • LocationRight in the middle of it

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:09 PM

I woukd get the lisence without the trout stamp

A bit late but, I second that

#14 Ian K

Ian K

PAC Lurker

• Registered Guest
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:11 PM

Heard the canal has been productive with the spawn I'll hit that Saturday morning .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users