• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:41 PM

Does anyone on board here use them? Pros and cons would be appreciated. I would only want use a single trailer hook, not a treble.

If you use them, which lures do you use them on?

#2 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:20 PM

I have spinnerbaits with single trailer hooks and they have saved me from a few missed bites. Other trailer hook i use is the one that comes on the joes fly.
Itching for some fishing.

#3 CO

CO

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:26 AM

Spinner bait.

Pro-you will catch fish on the back hook that you would have missed
Con- back hook could be buried in the back of the fishes mouth / throat

#4 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:06 AM

Spinner bait.

Pro-you will catch fish on the back hook that you would have missed
Con- back hook could be buried in the back of the fishes mouth / throat

The con was a definite concern of mine. Is it a regular occurrence? If so, I'll pass.
Manufacturers offer different sizes. Some are significantly shorter than others. I'm assuming shorter would be safer for the fish.
I use Joe's Flies frequently, and catch more fish with that lure than any other... I was wondering if the trailer hook had something to do with it. Thanks for the advice guys.

#5 CO

CO

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:24 AM

No, it really doesn't happen often but it is a concern.  I go back and forth.  My biggest PA LM bass #1 and #3 all came on a spinnerbait, one of those fish was only landed due to a trailer hook.

Another area where they are in use and I won't fish without one is deep water fluking in the ocean.  They go in the box anyway, doesn't matter if the hook is deep.

#6 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:44 AM

Thanks Joe... I'll ponder the issue for awhile, and look at the different styles they have to offer... I appreciate the advice.

#7 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 01 June 2015 - 03:58 PM

after pondering an old report from dano made years prior, I started fishing trailers last year and became a believer real fast. I've even started using them on big jigs with great results hooking medium-smaller size fish while still feeling like I'm fishing for trophies. If you use smallish trailers they can nab a fish without as much issue with throat/gill attachment. I would not fish without them unless I had to. I will say that I have struggled to find a good brand of hook specifically for trailers. Many of the newer "good" hooks are forged and brittle for pinching the eye shut. I've been using rubber beads instead. Its not a bad solution, but. If anyone has recommendations, let me know :)

#8 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:34 PM

Thanks for the info Louis…

What do you consider to be a "smallish" trailer?

I was going to try surgical tubing to help affix the hook.

#9 matt

matt

knot conquistador

• Admin
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationUp the street from the knot!

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:16 AM

I would think somewhere in the size 1-4 range would be good, depending on species.

#10 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:47 PM

Thanks Matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users