13 replies to this topic

#1 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:03 PM

Does anyone have opinions on high tech eye upgrades? For my entire adult life I wore prescription glasses and shitty giant polarized glasses on top of them like an old dude on the golf course. Last year I got lasic and after some research got a pair of Smith sunglasses with "Chromapop" lenses. I am really impressed with the way they separate colors. They are better for seeing through the water than glasses I've used in the past, but I'm not sure how much better just yet. Just wondering if others have thoughts?

#2 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:15 PM

i use like 25 dollar berkley glasses my mom got me a while back and they seem to work fine for me.  i used my friends costas and couldent tell the difference really.  costas were a little more comfortable but thats it.  

Itching for some fishing.

#3 Nick with a K

Nick with a K

Sir

• Charter Member
  • 733 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:49 AM

Most of the expensive brands come with a warranty, so if something happens to them they'll usually replace them. If have a tendency to break stuff it might a good idea. If not stock with the cheaper ones. I doubt you'll be missing many fish because of your glasses.

#4 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 02 June 2015 - 01:52 PM

Amen to that- I've had my reddington flyrod replaced twice.

#5 matt

matt

knot conquistador

• Admin
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationUp the street from the knot!

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:33 PM

I've had a pair Smith's before, and they were fantastic until I lost them.  I've got some prescription jawns from Zenni with the most expensive lenses possible, and they are great.

#6 Illadelphia

Illadelphia

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 47 posts
  • LocationRight in the middle of it

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:09 PM

As a shooter first, optics are very highly regarded on my scale of importance.
I have everything from, Oakley SI military sets, Revision military sets, Ray Bans, Linda Farrows (the Bruce Lee and Scarface glasses), Tom Fords, guccis, Armani's and a bunch more and out of all of these I prize my MAUI JIM TITANIUM SPORTS as the best I've ever used in terms of optical clarity, form and function.
They're light, the titanium wire frames are ultra tough, the lenses are crystal clear and see straight through water. They eliminate glare. The lenses are not ANSI rated but I've had shells and ricochets deflect off my lense saving my eyes numerous times. I'll never buy any other sunglasses again and they can have prescription lenses

#7 Tom

Tom

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:12 AM

I was never one to spend the extra $ on higher end sunglasses for fishing as I usually lost or broke about 2 pair per year on average. Still, one day I bit the bullet and with a promising deal on a pair Habervision glasses (that came highly recommended from several sources) I splurged and bought a pair. This was about 3 years ago and I still have them....I guess since I spent more I have learned to be more careful with them. For everyday regular fishing I don't think there is too great of a difference...as long as glasses are polarized that can often be enough. What I can say though that there is no comparison whatsoever between actual ground glass vs plastic lenses. Scratch resistance is a major factor. One bad drop with a plastic lens and you can have a nice annoying scratch mark in your line of sight for the rest of the time you use that pair. More than just a little annoying. Cleaning plastic lenses is tricky. If you use anything but the softest cloth to clean them you risk removing the film on the lens which, over time, starts to eliminate any clarity and creates a blurry view. Where the quality lenses really pay off is when you are sight fishing in moving water. For me, salmon and steelhead fishing got even better once I started using better fishing sunglasses as I found I could spot fish that I may not have before. Ground glass produces much deeper light separation and greater contrast for spotting fish, especially in moving water.

#8 Aki

Aki

Fish 300+ days a year!

• Charter Member
  • 1,847 posts
  • LocationTokyo Bay

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:41 PM

Louis,

Try Sight Master made by Tiemco.
Best polarized sunglasses ever made.  Glass lenses they use is very different and best. 

http://www.tiemco.co...sightmaster/en/

Always thinking of fishing around Philly....

#9 Illadelphia

Illadelphia

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 47 posts
  • LocationRight in the middle of it

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:56 AM

Louis,
Try Sight Master made by Tiemco.
Best polarized sunglasses ever made.  Glass lenses they use is very different and best. 

http://www.tiemco.co...sightmaster/en/

Are these available in the U.S.? I'd like to try out a pair for sure!

#10 jirwin6985

jirwin6985

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:07 PM

I have a pair of prescription Wiley x that I love..lightweight has the removable foam in case you are on a boat and keeps the sweat outa your eyes...only about $100 or so for non prescription but I've had mine 3 years and love em..

#11 Doc Watson

Doc Watson

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 06:37 PM

Are these available in the U.S.? I'd like to try out a pair for sure!

This article is from January so I suspect they will be available here soon.

http://www.scout.com...takahiro-omori 

Or, you can buy a case here....  ;)

#12 CredoMutwa

CredoMutwa

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:28 PM

I'm a huge fan of Rudy Project glasses. They are really geared toward the cycling crowd, my pair are for boating, the Rudy Project Zyon Sailing. The lenses are "impact x, photo polarized," meaning the lenses are shatter proof (I tested and confirmed with a hammer), they are polarized, but you can still read electronics amazingly without any rainbow glare, and they have that "transition" material built in so they change from light to dark. This is awesome when going from above/below deck. You never have to take them off and wait for your eyes to adjust.

Best part is the lenses have a lifetime warranty. If they scratch send em back for new ones! They also have a prescription version and they will custom make lenses with your prescription built in!

I've had mine 7 years and they're great.

http://www.rudyproje...r.html#SN220902

#13 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:43 PM

Thanks for the responses! I have been very satisfied with my Smith's so far. I even got a second pair with"low light ignitor" lenses.  They are really awesome for dusk/dawn/dark overcast situations- Totally usable in a much darker scenario than any other sunglasses I've owned.  :)

#14 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:52 AM

You'll never look as cool as the Unacarper…

PB canalcarp022508b.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users