• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:50 PM

With Mulberry season in full swing, I decided to get my hands purple today. The lower Darby Creek area is well stocked with a variety of Mulberry trees. The key is finding one that is dangling it's tempting fruits over the local waterway. I have a favorite tree that has provided me with many a fond memory.

I arrived a bit later than I wanted to. Prime time in this tidal area for mulberry carping is two hours before through two hours after high tide. I started about 45 minutes into the outgoing tide which left a maximum of 1.5 hours of prime fishing. Turtles, catfish, carp and me all LOVE mulberries. I like the three varieties that Mother Nature offers in this locale, but my favorite is the pink mulberry. The carp don't seem to have a preference. The last couple of years I've caught significantly more catfish than carp while using mulberries as bait. I was hoping that would not be the case this season.

Mulberries are a fragile fruit and finding a good one for your hook bait requires some sorting. If the fruit is too ripe, it won't stay on the hook. Not ripe enough and it has a different buoyancy. They key is finding one that is firm but fruity.

You usually get one swing per mulberry, so you have to be alert. The slightest quiver of the float and I'm swinging for the fences. I had immediate action, but my timing was rusty. Lucky for me it wasn't three strikes and you're out.  On my fourth try I hook my first carp, You know immediately if it is a carp or a catfish. The carp literally explode and your drag starts peeling. Nothing like hooking a 10 - 30 pound fish five feet from the bank.

My next hook-up is with a mid-size snapping turtle. In my small swim a painted turtle, red belly turtle, red ear slider and a massive snapping turtle were also sampling the tasty fruits. Thankfully, I only hooked the mid-size snapper. The massive snapping turtle was two feet from the bank, slurping berries as they fell from the tree.

I ended up landing two more carp before I ended my session. I'll be back a bit earlier tomorrow morning. 

#2 Nick with a K

Nick with a K

Sir

• Charter Member
  • 733 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:50 AM

What kind of rig do you use for mulberries?

#3 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:35 AM

I use 6 pound fluorocarbon as my main line with a size 8 owner mosquito hook tied directly to the mainline. I use a small Splitshot about 6 inches from the hook. Finally, I use a Thill stealth slip float as my bite teller.

#4 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 01:43 PM

As planned I arrived at my spot earlier today to take full advantage of the high tide. Not planned for was the fact that the channel cats also arrived at the same time and wouldn't let my carp friends feed. I landed seven small channels and had many mulberries stolen by others. That's the beauty of fishing... it's never the same from day to day.

#5 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 03:39 PM

Nice work.  hopefully one day i will actually try legit carp fishing.  Seems like the thing to do this time of year

Itching for some fishing.

#6 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 04:56 PM

Nice work.  hopefully one day i will actually try legit carp fishing.  Seems like the thing to do this time of year

Chris... I prefer float fishing for them, if conditions permit. Not all venues are conducive to float fishing, so bank sticking is necessary. Carp fishing requires a different mindset than most fishing. Patience is critical. You have to be willing to bait and wait. When you're ready to chill, let me know.

#7 Nick with a K

Nick with a K

Sir

• Charter Member
  • 733 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:50 AM

I use 6 pound fluorocarbon as my main line with a size 8 owner mosquito hook tied directly to the mainline. I use a small Splitshot about 6 inches from the hook. Finally, I use a Thill stealth slip float as my bite teller.

Ok. Thanks George. For some reason I thought you wanted the mulberry to float on the surface.

#8 matt

matt

knot conquistador

• Admin
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationUp the street from the knot!

Posted 26 June 2015 - 02:13 PM

Nice on GC. 

Nick - mulberries that aren't fully ripe will float naturally...so, the floating technique is good for the early portion of mullberry season.

#9 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 06:07 AM

Ok. Thanks George. For some reason I thought you wanted the mulberry to float on the surface.

You have to observe how the fish in that particular swim are feeding. I've caught a lot of mulberry carp over the years, but only ONE from the surface. The carp where I fish are really spooky and are on full alert when feeding from the surface. The slightest movement and they bolt and that's usually the last I'll see surface feeding for that session. Like I mentioned in my first post, I have my best success with mulberries that have just ripened…"firm and fruity"

Now, before the monsoon comes, I'm off to try my luck with some mulberry munching fish… hopefully not catfish.

#10 Nick with a K

Nick with a K

Sir

• Charter Member
  • 733 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:45 PM

Thanks. I know where there's a big bunch of trees right on the Delaware. I might give it a shot if I find some extra time, and the weather holds up.

#11 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:26 PM

Thanks. I know where there's a big bunch of trees right on the Delaware. I might give it a shot if I find some extra time, and the weather holds up.

Good luck… it is truly a blast… hooking a big fish in tight and having them explode right in front of you. I hope you get a few!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users