21 replies to this topic

#1 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 23 July 2015 - 03:42 PM

As some of you probably know, I work for Philadelphia Water doing graphic design. I'm very lucky to have a job that combines many things I care about and like to consider myself good at. You have probably seen the "Yo Fish" stormdrain marker before; used to indicate to citizens that stormdrains lead to the natural waterways we get our drinking water from- sometimes via treatment plant, but often directly. The original "Yo Fish" came out around 1993.

2968364782.jpg

I've been hoping to make better use of these markers as a public information piece for some time, since they get a lot of face time around the city. For one, there's not a clear reason why the PWD phone number is on there. And while I like cartoons, I feel like the fish comes off a little to silly in context of drinking water and estuary pollution. After some discussion and support from my coworkers, I got the go-ahead to make a new series based on the 7 actual streams/rivers/watersheds within the city. Each has a unique identity with it's own color and a representative species. 5 of the 7 are complete and just went to print, so you can expect to start seeing them as soon as this Fall. I'm pretty stoked about them :)

The last two will be a Sturgeon and a Bog Turtle. Those should be done in a few months, after I get some other projects out of the way and find time to illustrate them!

map.png

#2 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 23 July 2015 - 03:43 PM

The devil is in the details:

Final Markers-Keep it Clean-Actual-RGB_Page_3.jpg

#3 Doc Watson

Doc Watson

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 04:22 PM

I like 'em Louis !!!  B)  I think your idea is smart and well focused and the designs kick ass !!!

#4 JGPHILLY

JGPHILLY

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 83 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 23 July 2015 - 04:50 PM

Definitely gets the message across better. It directly shows what's being harmed by illegal dumping and littering.

#5 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 06:16 PM

Well done Louis... I'll be on the look out for them.

#6 Nick with a K

Nick with a K

Sir

• Charter Member
  • 733 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 06:50 PM

I like them.

#7 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 07:31 PM

Nice. The poquessing is my local creek and I have been fishing it since I was little.
Itching for some fishing.

#8 matt

matt

knot conquistador

• Admin
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationUp the street from the knot!

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:35 PM

Nice work, pal! 

#9 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:43 AM

Thanks Everybody.

Nice. The poquessing is my local creek and I have been fishing it since I was little.

Is there anything you'd put in the background, like I put the waterworks in the background for the Skuke? A kind of tree? Rock Formation? Building? Do you have any good landscapey photos of the area around the creek? I'm struggling with what to put around the turtle. So far the backgrounds are subtle but the details are pretty legit- like the leaf under the salamander for the Wiss is a sycamore leaf just like you'd find there. The poquessing has been highlighted as having a population of federally endangered bog turtles btw. It's America's smallest turtle!

#10 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:46 AM

Here's the rest of them:

Final Markers-Keep it Clean-Actual-RGB_Page_2.jpg

Final Markers-Keep it Clean-Actual-RGB_Page_5.jpg

Final Markers-Keep it Clean-Actual-RGB_Page_4.jpg

Final Markers-Keep it Clean-Actual-RGB_Page_1.jpg

#11 Nick with a K

Nick with a K

Sir

• Charter Member
  • 733 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:29 PM

Thanks Everybody.

Is there anything you'd put in the background, like I put the waterworks in the background for the Skuke? A kind of tree? Rock Formation? Building? Do you have any good landscapey photos of the area around the creek? I'm struggling with what to put around the turtle. So far the backgrounds are subtle but the details are pretty legit- like the leaf under the salamander for the Wiss is a sycamore leaf just like you'd find there. The poquessing has been highlighted as having a population of federally endangered bog turtles btw. It's America's smallest turtle!

How about council rock, or one of the bridges?

#12 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:18 PM

I dunno about council rock- is it on the poquessing?

Thanks!

:)

#13 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 06:01 PM

Glen Foerd mansion is a well known poquessing landmark. Lies at the confluence of the poquessing and delaware.

#14 Nick with a K

Nick with a K

Sir

• Charter Member
  • 733 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 07:34 AM

I dunno about council rock- is it on the poquessing?

Thanks!
:)

Nope. It's on the Pennypack. I misunderstood what you where looking for. How about a picture of a kid fishing below the dam in the background?

#15 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:06 AM

Thanks guys, I'm going to look into both of those ideas. Where is the dam on the Poquessing? Maybe I'll go take some photos.

#16 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:21 AM

There is a dam....but it's only visible at the lower end of the tides. If you are standing on the state Road bridge looking upstream you can see it. Glen fored is downstream of the bridge.

#17 Tom

Tom

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:13 AM

These are super cool!  Nicely done Louis!!!!

#18 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:27 PM

Some sweet new shirts just came out today. Show up at coast day to volunteer putting down markers and you might get one... https://instagram.com/p/7a07I7ynrs/

http://www.phillywat...rmdrain-mascots

#19 CarpBg

CarpBg

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 38 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:35 PM

Some sweet new shirts just came out today. Show up at coast day to volunteer putting down markers and you might get one... https://instagram.com/p/7a07I7ynrs/

http://www.phillywat...rmdrain-mascots

When is that?

#20 Doc Watson

Doc Watson

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:53 AM

http://www.delawaree...y.org/coast-day

2015 Pennsylvania Coast Day

Discover all that Pennsylvania’s coast has to boast at Pennsylvania Coast Day. This free festival will take place at Walnut Plaza (Columbus Avenue at Walnut Street) on Penn's Landing on September 12, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users