• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:43 PM

If you've never eaten pickerel, I highly recommend you give it a try. Very tasty. I had a twenty inch pickerel attempt to eat my horny toad this AM. Excellent fight. My best efforts to revive the fish including constructing a resuscitation area in current were not successful. Not wanting to waste such a beautiful creature, I decided to harvest it. Had him for dinner this evening.

Attached File  Pickerel.jpg   95.21KB   0 downloads

#2 Nick with a K

Nick with a K

Sir

• Charter Member
  • 733 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 07:27 AM

The lake by my parents house is almost overrun with them. They are trying to cull them to give the lmb population a chance to get bigger. How did you clean it, and prepare it?

#3 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:24 PM

Nick.. You are in for a treat.

Gutted and beheaded. Preheated oven to 375... Dressed with onion, lemon and drizzled with butter. Cooked for appx 25-30 minutes.

Simple and DELICIOUS!

#4 Tom

Tom

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:27 PM

I have had them but would only keep them if they are mortally wounded or lake is seriously overrun, which might present another issue with getting legal sized Picks.  They are very mild like flounder, perch, walleye, etc. The biggest issue with them or Pike is the floating Y bones on the outside of the rib cage. I love fish but HATE bones in fish. Get a fishbone stuck in your throat and you will understand why.

#5 Nick with a K

Nick with a K

Sir

• Charter Member
  • 733 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:12 AM

Thanks, guys. If I do get a legal fish I might try it. The lake is loaded with them, but they all seem to be in the 10-12" range, not really worth the hassle of cleaning, even if they were legal.

#6 PhillyFisherman

PhillyFisherman

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 05:28 PM

Agreed, they taste really good! The smaller ones are tough to get the Y bones out, but overall still good to eat!

Romans 6:23

#7 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:16 AM

The lake by my parents house is almost overrun with them. They are trying to cull them to give the lmb population a chance to get bigger. How did you clean it, and prepare it?

When you can, take/injure the smaller ones and leave the bigger ones. It'll make for bigger pickerel and more/bigger bigger bass. People (Including the fish commission) often get this strategy backwards and the consequences hurt trophy fishing. Ex-success of striper slot limits vs failure of PAFBC Big Bass Water Program.  Besides non-species specific genetic and non-genetic growth factors manipulated by the aforementioned, a big pickerel would prefer to eat a small pickerel over a small bass.

#8 CO

CO

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:15 AM

Any fish caught the day of and consumed can be pretty good minus the few real dogs out there.  I would like to try carp once, but it seems like a waste to kill such a big fish for what could be one bite and done.

#9 Doc Watson

Doc Watson

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:21 AM

Any fish caught the day of and consumed can be pretty good minus the few real dogs out there.  I would like to try carp once, but it seems like a waste to kill such a big fish for what could be one bite and done.

Take a smaller fish.  You can't be trying to tell us that all your fish are big. ;)   I'm sure you've caught a few 1 or 2 lb carp in your time.  :239_fishing:

#10 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:41 AM

Carp is pretty good. I ate it once from springton lake. They stocked them across the country for food after all. I think the bigger issue is fish from silty waters tastes like shit and it's harder and harder to find places not like that.

#11 Doc Watson

Doc Watson

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:37 PM

Carp is pretty good. I ate it once from springton lake. They stocked them across the country for food after all. I think the bigger issue is fish from silty waters tastes like shit and it's harder and harder to find places not like that.

Bingo !!!!  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users