• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:06 PM

Harvested a snakehead. The fish swallowed my chatterbait. Placed the snakehead on a stringer attached to my kayak for a couple of hours after the catch. When I lifted him out of the water at the end of my session, he appeared to be dead. There was absolutely no evidence of life functions. I placed the fish in a plastic bag, loaded my gear and drove home. The fish was in the plastic bag for approximately 35 minutes. 

When I arrived home, I put him in the refrigerator while I prepared an area to clean the fish. After ten minutes, I placed him in the sink and began to eviscerate him. I felt that the beginning of rigor mortis had begun. My daughter was present in the kitchen and had never witnessed a fish getting prepared for eating. As i opened the abdominal cavity I started pointing out some of the internal organs.

I had removed most of the contents of the abdominal cavity, when my daughter said she thought she saw the heart beating. I said, "No way, it must be vibrations from me moving him around." I was wrong… the heart was beating… then suddenly, I saw the gills move reflexively. My daughter's iPhone is always on her person, so I asked her to video the phenomena.

I want to be clear that this video was taken solely to document this phenomena. I firmly believed the fish was dead, before I started the cleaning process. I must have stimulated his nervous system during the evisceration. Definitely one tough and tasty fish.

#2 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:12 PM

Wow!

#3 matt

matt

knot conquistador

• Admin
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationUp the street from the knot!

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:08 AM

Crazy stuff!

Looks like a nice sized fish too.  How does its flesh compare to other fresh water fish?

#4 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 07:44 AM

Crazy stuff!

Looks like a nice sized fish too.  How does its flesh compare to other fresh water fish?

Was a 6-7 pound snakehead. Very solid and explosive fish. The snakehead flesh is lean, firm. flaky and white as snow. Best freshwater fish I've eaten, but I've never had walleye. I hear walleye is very tasty.

#5 CO

CO

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:54 AM

Cool stuff George

For me, Walleye and Yellow Perch (Related) are tough to beat for eating out of freshwater.

#6 Illadelphia

Illadelphia

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 47 posts
  • LocationRight in the middle of it

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:42 PM

I know of a few guys that swear by the great taste of the snake head. I haven't tried it yet but then again, I kind of want to.

#7 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 12:11 PM

I know of a few guys that swear by the great taste of the snake head. I haven't tried it yet but then again, I kind of want to.

I've had snakehead three times and would highly recommend it.
  • Illadelphia likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users