louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 14 July 2016 - 03:18 PM

I just got a 7' St Croix Tidemaster to use for jigging: 

https://www.amazon.c...roix tidemaster

It's 3-piece for travel, but I will probably use it as my main rod at the dam. What's an ideal reel to go with this? I haven't bought a new jigging rod in 10 years so I am not scared to get something fancy if it's worth it and it lasts. I just lost touch with that kind of stuff and I'm not sure what reels are good these days. 

#2 matt

matt

knot conquistador

• Admin
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationUp the street from the knot!

Posted 14 July 2016 - 03:31 PM

I have the inshore salt quantuum smoke reel paired with mine.  I really love it so far.  Light, effective, smooth drag.  I wanted to try something different other than shimano.  For your rod, I would consider the 40 model.

You can't go wrong with one of the better shimanos - like stella ($$$$).  There's always the stradic ($$), or the carbon fiber stradic too, which seems pretty boss.  I've got a old regular stradic, which is a workhorse.

It's about time you stopped casting lures and jigs with a noodle rod!

#3 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 14 July 2016 - 03:56 PM

It's about time you stopped casting lures and jigs with a noodle rod!

I guess so,  but I did catch a ton of fish on it! 

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to stick with shimano so my whole dumb collection matches, just in case anyone ever notices and wants to give me a free one as a result.

#4 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:52 PM

I think I'll go with the Stradic 2500 or 3000 size: 

Seems like I could get a 200+ yards of 10# braid on both. Not really even sure they they make 2 so close in spec. 

I'm on the fence between the "FJ" throwback white model and the carbon "Ci4."

The carbon one seems lower quality to me; leaning on the carbon whiz bang to make the sale. It's only 1.3 ounces lighter but has less drag capacity- 15lb vs 20.  The stella looks cooler but that's not worth a $500 upcharge, particularly for a dude who's been fishing a half broken rod and reel for 8 years.  

What would you do, America?

#5 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:40 AM

what will you be targeting with it primarily?  im super clumsy down there and fall a lot which caused me to break 2 reels (luckily replaced for free)  a stradic and a pflueger president.  Bothing against the reels beause they work great but its a tough setting down there at times.  I prefer using one of my aluminum penn reels.  I rocked the super cheap penn fierce down there for like 3 years in a row and caught all sorts of shit and beat the living hell out of it.  retired it for a penn conflict and gave the old fierce to my friend who STILL uses it to this day without any issues.  I just got a battle 2500 for a new diawa rod i got and i spooled it with 15lb braid.....absolutely love it.  and its under 100 bucks.  the battle is just a more refined version of the fierce and penn has phenomenal CS.  the setup is light enough to jig for eyes and tough enough for those rouge bass and 20lb flatheads.  i would suggest a penn for down there!  Espicially if you pan to use it in the salt.   

Itching for some fishing.

#6 matt

matt

knot conquistador

• Admin
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationUp the street from the knot!

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:54 AM

stradic 3000.  get you some.

#7 Nick with a K

Nick with a K

Sir

• Charter Member
  • 733 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:35 AM

Daiwa,shimano,and penn are all easy to find parts for, or get serviced if something goes wrong. Icast is this weekend and all the new stuff will be coming out, so you might be able to get some good deals on older models in a few weeks.

#8 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:10 AM

what will you be targeting with it primarily? im super clumsy down there and fall a lot which caused me to break 2 reels (luckily replaced for free) a stradic and a pflueger president. Bothing against the reels beause they work great but its a tough setting down there at times. I prefer using one of my aluminum penn reels. I rocked the super cheap penn fierce down there for like 3 years in a row and caught all sorts of shit and beat the living hell out of it. retired it for a penn conflict and gave the old fierce to my friend who STILL uses it to this day without any issues. I just got a battle 2500 for a new diawa rod i got and i spooled it with 15lb braid.....absolutely love it. and its under 100 bucks. the battle is just a more refined version of the fierce and penn has phenomenal CS. the setup is light enough to jig for eyes and tough enough for those rouge bass and 20lb flatheads. i would suggest a penn for down there! Espicially if you pan to use it in the salt.

Basically I'm going to put 10 lb braid on it and throw lures at everybody with a variety of leaders. I have a Sonora 2500 that Ive used this way for a long ass time for trout shad and king salmon over 30 lbs. aI t still works pretty good. I mostly just want to step up the drag quality and smoothness while having the same reel. I'll check out the penns, but after watching 100 youtubes last night I'm pretty into the Stradic ci4 or a sustain. :)

#9 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:12 AM

Daiwa,shimano,and penn are all easy to find parts for, or get serviced if something goes wrong. Icast is this weekend and all the new stuff will be coming out, so you might be able to get some good deals on older models in a few weeks.

That's good thinking! I went to Icast once, it was a very silly experience.

#10 ILoveFishing

ILoveFishing

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 912 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:17 AM

Sustain would be killer.......if you got the dough then deff go that route

Itching for some fishing.

#11 JGPHILLY

JGPHILLY

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 83 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:47 PM

I have 5 stradics. 3 ci4 and 2 fjs. Amazing reels I've caught 30lb carp on a 2500 model. The pfluger patriarch is the lightest reel I've ever owned and the drag is very comparable to the stradic. The only problem is the screws. If you try and service them your self they tend to break off when you try and loosing them.

#12 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 12:23 PM

Stradic

#13 jirwin6985

jirwin6985

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:09 PM

Hard to go wrong with the good stradic fi model I have 4 and they never let me down on a rod that size I would say the 3000 would balance better and you can pick up brand new fi models on eBay for cheap still.

#14 Tom

Tom

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 06:41 AM

Hands down Stradic. I have several of the older white FJ models and they work just as well now as the day I bought them. Clean and lube once per year or as needed and they will last for a lonnggg time.  The only difference between the 2500 and 3000 (for the non carbon fiber ones at least) is spool capacity/line size.

#15 Nick with a K

Nick with a K

Sir

• Charter Member
  • 733 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 05:44 AM

I haven't touched one yet, but the new daiwa saltist 3000 will be available in November. The older reels were absolute beasts, and imo, hold up much better to salt and abuse than the stradic.

#16 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:39 PM

You guys, I went crazy and got a sustain. Been very satisfied- unlike most tackle I started catching fish on this sucker right away and haven't stopped. Landed a few stripers at the dam and the loads of largemouth paired with the new St. Croix Tidemaster, including my biggest topwater bass in years, maybe ever. And last week I caught a new personal best grass carp- 51 lbs with it paired to my new 11' cortland noodle... on 6 lb test!  It's been an awesome summer and I'm very satisfied with the new rods and reel. 

IMG_4360.jpg
IMG_4558.JPG
IMG_4417.JPG
IMG_4533.JPG

• Aki likes this

#17 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 04:28 PM

You guys, I went crazy and got a sustain. Been very satisfied- unlike most tackle I started catching fish on this sucker right away and haven't stopped. Landed a few stripers at the dam and the loads of largemouth paired with the new St. Croix Tidemaster, including my biggest topwater bass in years, maybe ever. And last week I caught a new personal best grass carp- 51 lbs with it paired to my new 11' cortland noodle... on 6 lb test!  It's been an awesome summer and I'm very satisfied with the new rods and reel. 

Can't go wrong with a Shimano reel. I'd wish you good luck with it, but it obviously has already produced in a variety of conditions.

Solid LMB and MASSIVE grass carp! What bait did you use for the grass carp?

#18 jirwin6985

jirwin6985

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:29 PM

You guys, I went crazy and got a sustain. Been very satisfied- unlike most tackle I started catching fish on this sucker right away and haven't stopped. Landed a few stripers at the dam and the loads of largemouth paired with the new St. Croix Tidemaster, including my biggest topwater bass in years, maybe ever. And last week I caught a new personal best grass carp- 51 lbs with it paired to my new 11' cortland noodle... on 6 lb test! It's been an awesome summer and I'm very satisfied with the new rods and reel.

IMG_4360.jpg
IMG_4558.JPG
IMG_4417.JPG
IMG_4533.JPG

Awesome Louis! I love my Shimano stuff I bought a cheap sienna for saltwater use years ago and it won't die since then I have gotten stradics and the like and they have all performed great enjoy it!

#19 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:33 AM

George- just a single kernel on a size 14

#20 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 06:21 PM

George- just a single kernel on a size 14

WOW... that is amazing! Those noodle rods are incredible for fighting big fish on light line. Just got to hope there are no snaggy spots around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users