• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:18 AM

Haven’t posted much lately, but I had a stellar morning and felt the need. I went back to my roots today and I guess I was found in favor by the carp gods. The summer doldrums have set in for me locally with high water temperatures and very little action. I kayaked and fished Monday through Friday in the Darby Creek Estuary. I did have a decent day on Monday capturing a bowfin, beautiful snakehead (video below) a decent LM Bass and lost a BIG Channel Cat that towed me around in my kayak, or at least I think that’s what it was.

The rest of the week has been lackluster. While I was casting for three hours yesterday and catching nada, I did notice a good bit of carp activity. These were true Golden Gladiators and it kept me entertained watching them as I caught zippo. As I was getting ready to leave one of the Tidal Titans breached almost right in front of me and this stirred some fond memories of many years of chasing the bronze beauties. 

A true carper is never without corn in his car. I took my gear back to my car grabbed a gallon of corn and went back to feed the toothless corneaters. My plan was to entice them with some free offerings and head back this morning to see if they wanted more. 

My plan worked… I have not baited and waited for carp for a couple of years. I will float fish for them occasionally, but placing my rod in my K-Mart rod holder has not been part of my fishing repertoire as of late. I even decided to take my 12 year old Ugly Stik paired with an ancient Mitchell 300 reel that barely functions to go truly Retro.

Didn’t even have to wait very long. Had my lines in the water by 7:30 and first fish on less than an hour later. Landed a beautiful Golden Gladiator. I just finished my photo session when my second rod yearns for the water. another excellent battle… I was satisfied by this point and began packing up. Had all my gear ready and was about to reel in my final rod when it goes off. Epic battle with a true Tidal Titan(Photo Below). I thank the carp gods for lifting the summer doldrums. I left some more free offerings before I left.

Attached File  Carp_07302016.jpg   210.67KB   0 downloads

#2 jirwin6985

jirwin6985

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:03 PM

Awesome George I haven't been carping yet this year unfurtunalty I haven't had time to set up a spot. We should head out on the yaks one day we are both free I have a few good areas up by me that hold good fish.

#3 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:03 PM

Joe... What body of water do you frequent in your area? You are from the Hatfield area correct? I live in Upper Darby.

#4 jirwin6985

jirwin6985

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:10 PM

Yep I'm in hatfield. I hit up deep creek lake a lot since it's not far I have lake gallena about 15 minutes away as well as a bunch of smaller ponds within 15-20 minute but still big enough to make the kayak worth it

#5 jirwin6985

jirwin6985

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:31 PM

I'm also not far from marsh creek been dying to get up there in the yak and do some musky/ bass fishing

#6 matt

matt

knot conquistador

• Admin
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationUp the street from the knot!

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:33 AM

GC - nice work as always, glad to see waterways are treating you well!

jirwin - Galena is probably your best option for larger fish.   Lots of bank space and access there too.  Lots of fish in the mid teens to lower 20s - I always did pretty good there, with rarely less than 5 fish in a session, if I baited up adequately.  I've heard of 30s from there, but no personal evidence for me :(

I haven't fished there this year (because I haven't fished at all this year), but I live about 3 minutes up the road from Galena.  Good luck!

• jirwin6985 likes this

#7 jirwin6985

jirwin6985

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:41 AM

Hey Matt I diddnt realize you were that close to me. I had fished gallena a few times after baiting heavy and done well I think the biggest we got so far was 26lbs caught by mr fish years ago it personally seem to get fish around the 20 mark. Haven't been yet this year as it's tough to get out to bait with the little one but thinking out giving it a go this week with the cooler weather again. I have probably seen you down their I used to go all the time a few years ago and always saw guys carping not far from us on the one beach area

#8 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:16 PM

Thanks Matt... Yes, I am extremely fortunate to have some local fun fisheries 20 minutes from home.

Congratulations to you and your wife and all the best for your little girl. When was she born and what is her name?

#9 jirwin6985

jirwin6985

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:36 PM

Not sure if me or Matt since we both have little ones lol but mine is awesome and my best buddy. Her name is Nora and she will be one the 14th. Already loves going out and hanging out while fishing few more years and I'll get her more into it just gotta work on things like walking first haha

#10 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:47 PM

Not sure if me or Matt since we both have little ones lol but mine is awesome and my best buddy. Her name is Nora and she will be one the 14th. Already loves going out and hanging out while fishing few more years and I'll get her more into it just gotta work on things like walking first haha

Very cool Joe... Enjoy every minute with Nora... she will grow up faster than you can believe! Congrats and all the best.

#11 CO

CO

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:25 PM

There are a lot of carp back there, for me I have struggled with numbers for bass.  Nice job!

#12 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:28 PM

There are a lot of carp back there, for me I have struggled with numbers for bass.  Nice job!

Definitely a healthy and hearty carp population. Bass numbers are definitely down this season. The only major difference in the area is there is significantly less grass (hydrilla) in the water this season. Two summers ago the grass was so thick there were vast mats of it that formed during low tidal situations. Not sure why there is so little aquatic vegetation this year???

#13 matt

matt

knot conquistador

• Admin
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationUp the street from the knot!

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:34 PM

Thanks Matt... Yes, I am extremely fortunate to have some local fun fisheries 20 minutes from home.

Congratulations to you and your wife and all the best for your little girl. When was she born and what is her name?

Thanks George!!!  She was born end of March, her name is Emery June (June is after my grandmother).  We are thrilled to have her in our life, even if it means substantially less fishing.  I'll just need to buy a yak big enough to take her out in a few years :)

#14 jirwin6985

jirwin6985

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:16 PM

Thanks George!!! She was born end of March, her name is Emery June (June is after my grandmother). We are thrilled to have her in our life, even if it means substantially less fishing. I'll just need to buy a yak big enough to take her out in a few years :)

Congrats Matt your just getting to the fun part! Mine is about to turn one on Sunday and everyday she gets funnier and funnier. Can't wait till she sits still long enough to show a real interest in fishing. Quick tip a cheap $5 baby pool makes a great play area while your fishing it's light and can just throw it on the grass

Attached Files

#15 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:25 PM

Thanks George!!!  She was born end of March, her name is Emery June (June is after my grandmother).  We are thrilled to have her in our life, even if it means substantially less fishing.  I'll just need to buy a yak big enough to take her out in a few years :)

You are in an amazing stage of your life... ENJOY! Fishing will always be there... Emery will grow up too quickly. I fished only occasionally when I had kids. Spending time with your kids is more important. If you can get them involved with fishing, that is a bonus. All the BEST to you and Emery!

#16 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:28 PM

Congrats Matt your just getting to the fun part! Mine is about to turn one on Sunday and everyday she gets funnier and funnier. Can't wait till she sits still long enough to show a real interest in fishing. Quick tip a cheap $5 baby pool makes a great play area while your fishing it's light and can just throw it on the grass

Happy Birthday Nora!!! Good tip about the baby pool.

#17 jirwin6985

jirwin6985

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:55 PM

Happy Birthday Nora!!! Good tip about the baby pool.

Thanks buddy! Now she can climb out of it but it worked for awhile and she loved being outside so I would put some toys in it and this way I diddnt have to worry about her eating grass haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users