• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:45 PM

This is my third year with my kayak and it was certainly one of the best purchases I’ve made. Had a first today… Caught a fish while trolling in my kayak.

I’ve tried trolling a few times over the past couple of years, but never had any success. One of the reasons I got the yak was that it would offer another form of low impact exercise. I had casted for a couple of hours today with no results, so I decided I was just going to do some paddling. Paddling at a slow steady rhythm is very relaxing.

I loosened my drag, casted out my Shad Rap, placed my rod in one of the holders behind me and started paddling. I paddled about a 1/4 mile, turned and paddled back to where I started. Reeled in the Shad Rap, cleared some debris from the lure, casted out again and began my second pass.

I traveled about 50 yards when my drag started screaming. I thought at first that I had snagged a submerged tree. I realized it wasn’t a tree when I stopped paddling and turned and saw my rod bouncing and the drag still peeling. I lifted the rod out of the rod holder and tightened the drag. To my pleasant surprise I reeled in my Shad Rap with a slot-sized striper attached to it. Fun experience on an otherwise quiet day.

Attached File  Striper_Trolling_08022016.jpg   109.24KB   0 downloads

#2 jirwin6985

jirwin6985

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:48 PM

Nice fish! Never had luck trolling much either glad to hear you broke the curse!

#3 Nick with a K

Nick with a K

Sir

• Charter Member
  • 733 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:59 AM

That's pretty cool.

#4 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 07:08 AM

That's pretty cool.

I thought so too. It was also pretty darn surprising!

#5 CO

CO

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:22 PM

Nice, trolling in a kayak, great workout while getting some fishing in :)

#6 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:31 PM

Nice, trolling in a kayak, great workout while getting some fishing in :)

Exactly the way I look at it... When things are slow casting, I figure I might as well get some exercise. I've picked up three more fish trolling with the yak... Two schoolie stripers and a channel cat.

#7 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:44 PM

Exactly the way I look at it... When things are slow casting, I figure I might as well get some exercise. I've picked up three more fish trolling with the yak... Two schoolie stripers and a channel cat.

My yak experience is minimal but I have enjoyed trolling almost every time I've been out. I love that you can fish two rods with two presentations while also cruising around and exploring at the same time. :) 

#8 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 04:22 PM

My yak experience is minimal but I have enjoyed trolling almost every time I've been out. I love that you can fish two rods with two presentations while also cruising around and exploring at the same time. :)

What lure have you had the most success with trolling?

#9 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 01 September 2016 - 12:26 PM

What lure have you had the most success with trolling?

Lots of the same lures I cast have caught for me when trolling, I can't think of a best one really... but x raps, small spinner baits, chatter baits. I don't think I've caught much with plastics like twisters and swim baits, but it may just be that I haven't used them much with one exception- a couple years ago I got a bunch of large hybrid spinner bait/ swim baits and caught a lot of big pickerel on them trolling in upstate ny on a canoe trip and in stroudsburg at my wedding. 

#10 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 06:22 PM

Lots of the same lures I cast have caught for me when trolling, I can't think of a best one really... but x raps, small spinner baits, chatter baits. I don't think I've caught much with plastics like twisters and swim baits, but it may just be that I haven't used them much with one exception- a couple years ago I got a bunch of large hybrid spinner bait/ swim baits and caught a lot of big pickerel on them trolling in upstate ny on a canoe trip and in stroudsburg at my wedding. 

Thanks!

#11 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 02 September 2016 - 10:26 AM

I looked it up- the hybrid lures are called strike king Magic spinnerbaits. Got a bunch of smallies on them too :)

#12 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 05:12 PM

I looked it up- the hybrid lures are called strike king Magic spinnerbaits. Got a bunch of smallies on them too :)

Thanks again... I'll check them out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users