• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:37 PM

Had an active four hour session today. Started the morning baiting up a spot for carp. Then went kayak fishing for a couple of hours. Started out trolling, but nothing was interested. I decided to try casting an inline spinner bait that a friend of mine made. Within a few casts I had a strike from a nice channel cat. A few casts later I tussle with a largemouth bass.

Soon after that I had a follow from a big snakehead. He followed the lure all the way to the yak and I dangled the lure right in front of his face and he nosed it away. Next cast another follow. The third time was the charm. I slowed my retrieve a bit and he went for it. Fighting and landing a decent size snakehead in a kayak without a net is quite the challenge. I’ve learned from past experience it is better to play the snakehead for awhile tiring him a bit and then head for shore to land him. I’ve gotten pretty good at this over the past few summers. About 10 minutes later I hook-up with a smaller snakehead. He goes aerial and then skitters across the top of the water. Fun fighting fish!

Things slowed a bit, so I decided to check to see if any carp showed to sample some corn that I had tossed into the water a couple of hours ago. Before I even got my lines in the water, I saw two carp roll in my baited swim. It wasn’t long before I was fighting and landing my fist bronze beauty. A few minutes later my rod goes off again. This fish does a strong run to the shoreline and my line gets hung and I lose the fish, but get my rig back. I then get a chance with a third Golden Goliath and am able to bring this one to the net.

Most action I’ve had in quite awhile.

Attached File  Snakehead08192016.jpg   115.8KB   0 downloads

#2 jirwin6985

jirwin6985

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:39 PM

Nice day! I need to do some more reasearch I'd love to catch a snake head I know they are around and the one pond they used to be in I don't believe holds them anymore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users