5 replies to this topic

#1 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 04:00 PM

Carp are HUNGRY!

Two days in a row, I’ve had a short but intense carp sessions. Yesterday I tangled with three bronze beauties, landing two of them. Today I went five for five in less than two hours of carping.

I started my morning as I did yesterday, feeding my swim. I then went to a different area and casted a few lures around for about 90 minutes. I quickly spotted a snakehead rise to the surface take a gulp of air and then submerge back into the weeds. I casted in his direction and he swirled and smacked the lure. My line went tight, but the hook popped out. I made about 10 more casts, saw a wake following my lure and then an explosion. A powerful run ensued with a snakehead breaching the surface with a violent head shake and the lure came free. Two tussles with a snakehead in about five minutes. I was pumped. I worked that area for about another half hour, but no more action. I waded the shoreline and picked up a nice bass. After an hour and a half of casting, I was ready to check on my toothless corneaters.

Just like yesterday I was greeted by Golden Goliaths rolling in my feeding zone. Within ten minutes Number One was in the net. Number Two followed quickly. Three didn’t take long. Four and Five came at the same time…

All of the carp today were good fighters, but Number Four was a real ass kicker. I almost lost my rod to Number Five, since I was busy fighting Number Four when my .99 cent K-Mart rod holder gets pulled from its mooring by carp Number Five. Placing the rod with carp Number Five tethered to it between my legs I continued the battle with Number Four. And I continued the battle with Number Four. And I continued the battle with Number Four. I look down at the rod with carp Number Five attached and notice I’m into my mono backing. I tighten the drag and continue to battle Number Four. Finally I net Number Four and I can now spend some quality time with Number Five. Standing knee deep in tidal water I bring Number Five to hand since Number Four is catching his breath in the net.

As I start to unbutton number four, I notice what I first thought was a brown stem extending from his mouth. I pull on the stem, but it doesn’t move. On closer inspection I realize it is the end of a Zip-Tie. This fish has a jerry-rigged stringer made out of two Zip-Ties looping down through his mouth, out his gill plate and back up to the mouth. Attached to the Zip-Ties is a broken piece of 8 inch braided fishing line. Someone, I guess was intending to eat this fish, but the fish had other ideas and was able to snap the braid attached to the Zip-Tie and escape. The carp was in excellent condition. I cut the Zip-Tie, removed my hook and he swam away. I’ve had many strange occurrences with carp, including catching the same carp in the same session that broke me off earlier in the session. The Zip-Tie Stringer I do believe moves to the top of my list.

A beautiful day to be by the water…

Beautiful_Day.jpg

A beautiful, hard fighting carp Number Four...

Beautiful_Fish.jpg

A jerry-rigged stringer made of two ZIp-Ties...

Zip_Tie_Stringer.jpg

#2 jirwin6985

jirwin6985

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 07:26 PM

Awesome day!

#3 matt

matt

knot conquistador

• Admin
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationUp the street from the knot!

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:38 AM

Nice save, George!

Louis once caught a carp with a rope tied around its head, that had been there so long, it was embedded in its flesh and skin was growing over it.  It was nasty, but obviously we felt really bad for the fish and removed it.

#4 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 03:05 PM

Nice save, George!

Louis once caught a carp with a rope tied around its head, that had been there so long, it was embedded in its flesh and skin was growing over it.  It was nasty, but obviously we felt really bad for the fish and removed it.

Carp are tough fish. They have given me so many thrills over the years, I feel honored when I can help one out.

#5 CO

CO

PAC Regular

• Club Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:20 PM

Awesome job helping that fish out.

#6 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:26 PM

Nice save, George!

The string went through both gills around the top of it's head, AND it was so deep and grown over (and bloody) that I didn't realize the string was still actually there until the SECOND time I caught this fish. The first time I thought someone had simply stabbed it in the top of it's head. I nicknamed him stabby- I caught him 5 times in one summer in the upper Wiss. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users