#1 louis

louis

Administrator

• Admin
  • 161 posts
  • LocationItalian Market

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:09 PM

Hi Guys,

At work I was just sent this article, along with a note from one of our biologists that we are seeing similar great numbers in the Schuylkill fish ladder this year. Just thought I'd pass along some positive news:

http://www.mcall.com...0503-story.html

• Tom likes this

#2 Tom

Tom

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:29 AM

Nice to see big numbers getting further upstream! I am getting more into the idea (not necessarily the practice -yet) of catching one as far upstream, or even in waters where they are not documented. For example, I am intrigued with the concept of seeing how far up they may get in Darby creek for instance. Would any possibly make it up into Cobbs? Dare I say any beyond that, like Naylors Run? Wish I had time to explore this out a bit.

#3 Raomel

Raomel

PAC Lurker

• Registered Guest
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:08 PM

I live 10 minutes away from the ladder. Do you guys know of anyone who fishes that area regularly? Those numbers are definitely trending in a positive direction...

#4 GC

GC

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:56 PM

This seasons American Shad run was epic. It was a bit slow getting started with March being so cold, but once it got going it was one intense session after another. I started throwing darts at the end of February. The end of February was ridiculously warm, but the shad had not moved in just yet. It simply felt good being out and in the river. My fruitless casting sessions get my rock legs under me and help condition me for the heart of the season. I normally cast for 15-20 hours without a bump prior to catching my first shad of the season.

I finally landed my first American on April 5th three weeks later than my first American shad of the 2016 season. I had casted for almost 20 hours before catching that fish. Even though I was three weeks behind 2016, I exceeded my 2016 total shad count with an entire week left in April. The end of April through the end of May was one banner session after another. I averaged 3-4 shad sessions a week from the end of March to the end of May.The fish were not only abundant, but were larger on average than the usual runs I’ve experienced and extremely healthy.

I need one more shad to make my season complete… That one shad must be caught in the month of June.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users