71 replies to this topic

#61 phillycat/doubleg

phillycat/doubleg

PAC Regular

• Charter Member - Expired
  • PipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:23 PM

Anyone catching shad down there yet?  ???

Yeah. and if you decide to go down there and fish for them, wear a helmet!! It's dangerous I'm telling you!  ;)

Kevlar or football.  ???  ;D
Take a kid fishing.
Think of the future.
www.takemefishing.org

#62 kenlaw76

kenlaw76

PAC Regular

• Registered Guest
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:14 PM

Last year I had my daughter out on the river with me fishing up around Manyunk and heard a shoot out that was less than a mile from the location I was fishing. You just never know what will happen.
Shut up and keep suckin'

#63 Tom

Tom

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:49 PM

Anyone catching shad down there yet?  ???

Yeah. and if you decide to go down there and fish for them, wear a helmet!! It's dangerous I'm telling you!  ;)

For sure !!!  Those Osprey eating shad in the trees over your head are dropping shit all over the place.  ;)

Don't forget the Pterodactyls that I have heard roam the area!

To me, the only real dangers I've encountered have been somewhat self inflicted, i.e. recent cold unpreparedness, picking up a wading stick near an unseen copperhead (thanks Susky!), wading stretches too deep for me, that kind of thing.

Not to belabor the point here, as it has been discussed ad nasuem already, but I think Doug was referring to fishing spots in general, not necessarily the Skuke. Though that particular stretch is capable of producing some fine specimens (as evidenced by posts-including this one) and certainly is a premier location within the city, I am thinking that the implication was more towards fishing anywhere in general, not just the Skuke. While that area is a fine one (one I am no expert at), I disagree that it is the stellar fishing spot in this region. Sure, there is variety there but such variety exists elsewhere. The Susky is an example of this,as is the Delaware. You can catch walleyes, shad, stripers, etc. in the Delaware all the way to the top of PA. All species in the Skook are also in the Suskyand Delaware. I personally think there is more fishable area on the Susky and Delaware for said species but that is just my opinion.

You also have to consider the possibility of propaganda (scare tactics) here as well. I have never had a problem fishing there but mostly fish with someone else and personally choose not to fish there into the wee hours. I can handle myself fine but I'd rather avoid having my car broken into and stuff stolen. If a place is safe when common sense is put into use, then by all means have at it. If it is not (which I really doubt is the case here) then fish somewhere else. It is really that simple. Frankly, I am more concerned about the parking tickets there now, which is a whole seperate issue, then anything else.

I think this post has gotten off track and should be a candidate for retirement.

#64 Romo

Romo

Invasive Species Enthusiast

• PipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:29 PM

I saw some guy down there last night eating raw shad and chasing people around naked! stay away! he had like 4 guns too!
Kill your limit, don't limit your kill.

#65 FlatMaster

FlatMaster

PAC Junkie

• PipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:45 PM

I got a parking ticket this weekend for parking there. I was parked pretty far back where I wouldn't be blocking anything to. I don't understand how they can give you a ticket for parking there when it is not posted as no parking. I got pics of everything and no where does it say no parking. I am thinking about fighting it. The only thing is I would miss a day off work and lose out on more money than I would be saving. It is just a bunch of B/S. They should be out patroling for crack-heads and thiefs and not giving out retarded parking tickets.

The place to dispute parking tickets is right across the street from the Convention Center.  It's too much of a hassle to go down there, find parking, and argue.  $41 bucks now!  Times are tough!

#66 jbelpre

jbelpre

PAC Regular

• Charter Member
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:57 PM

Sorry Romo, that was me I had a bad day..... ;)

#67 Tom

Tom

PAC Junkie

• Charter Member
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:58 PM

Sorry Romo, that was me I had a bad day..... ;)

I thought I was the only one who did that!  ;)

#68 The Don

The Don

FISH HARD

• Charter Member
  • 2,560 posts
  • LocationPhila,pa

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:09 PM

Sorry Romo, that was me I had a bad day..... :P

I thought I was the only one who did that!  :D

Attached Thumbnails

• th_odd.gif

Throw your lure in the water and put the puzzle together..

#69 FlatMaster

FlatMaster

PAC Junkie

• PipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:25 PM

Some tough guys decided to tear down the yellow police tape and disregard the TOW signs taped on the fence. 

He end up having to go to the PPA lot on Oregon Ave to pick up his car. :)

They are finding plenty of ways to not let us fish down there.

#70 phillycat/doubleg

phillycat/doubleg

PAC Regular

• PipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:33 AM

Definition of a FOOL! Could have put that $ towards a charter trip.  =)
Take a kid fishing.
Think of the future.
www.takemefishing.org

#71 Illadelphia

Illadelphia

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 47 posts
  • LocationRight in the middle of it

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:42 PM

As s local business owner, I've been robbed on numerous occasions, the first being about 8 years old staring at the glint of the copper jacket down the barrel of a pistol that some idiot pointed at my face as I stood up from behind the counter to see why my mother was putting all her hard earned money from the register into a plastic bag and handing over to this guy. And many others to follow throughout my life but, knock-on-freaking-wood not yet while fishing. Although there have been some sketchy situations that could have happened, I luckily avoided just because I'm hyper aware when im fishing at dark and alone, which happens to be more often than not nowadays

The PAC guys are right, safety in numbers. But, the most important thing is trust your gut and pay-the-heck-attention alone or within a group. Also, having some kind of defense would be good, doesn't have to be lethal like a knife, gun, bat or any other object which could cause serious or life threading bodily harm. A simple and cheap can of LEO grade pepper spray has saved my butt from a swarm of pissed of yellow jackets and a rabid raccoon the size of a 25-30lbs dog (scared the beegeezus out of me & in broad day light surrounded by people (don't rely on strangers help because these people did diddley-squat but gasp)). And if you're going to carry pepper spray or any other defensive item...make sure it's available for expedited immediate deployment and make sure you know what the hell you're doing for those SHTF moments that I hope you never encounter. Sorry for the preaching...it's Sunday .
Anyway, stay safe and remember-
Any days a good day to fish! Tight lines,

Illadelphia

#72 Illadelphia

Illadelphia

PAC Lurker

• Club Member
  • 47 posts
  • LocationRight in the middle of it

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:49 PM

at night i allways roll 14 deep wink.gif

and I bet those 14 little friends are really fast